Solved

A lot of activity for a Macbook Air that's shut down with lid closed

• 1 September 2019
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3
Hi,

I don't know a lot about this stuff, but I have noticed while trying to see if someone had been using my computer that when I looked in the sytem log there is a lot of stuff going on, even when the computer is supposedly off and the lid closed. The bit about archaic APIs (or whatever it said, caught my attention.)

Is this normal? Thanks.

icon

Best answer by Ssherjj 1 September 2019, 15:47

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello @TonyTiger Welcome to the Webroot Community Forum. ☺️

That is a very good question TonyTiger. I have looked at my console system log on my Mac computer and I believe it is normal. This log is ever growing fast when the computer is turned on. One would have to be a Mac Expert to read and understand all that is in this log. I truthfully don't know if you would get any help by submitting a Support Ticket or Contact Webroot Support but you can try. Maybe our Forum Administrator @LLiddell would know of someone that could help in this question since Webroot does not have a Mac Expert assigned to this forum.
Another option would be to ask this question on the Apple Forum: https://discussions.apple.com/welcome

If you find the correct answer please post back. I believe a few of us on this forum using Mac Computers would be interested.

HTH,
Dave.
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
Question: Are you also connected to an external monitor? If an external monitor is attached, the machine might stay awake even with the lid closed.

Also, not that Mac sleeping is not the same as being "turned off". That Mac can wake itself to do internal tasks. Also, go into System Preferences-> Energy Saver and look to see if "wake for network access" is enabled. If so, then apps and tasks that use the network can wake a machine to do "things".

This site has a good explanation of what happens when the Mac is sleeping:

https://www.lifewire.com/what-happens-when-mac-is-put-to-sleep-2260787
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello @TonyTiger ,

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

When I found these sort of system logs I was really concerned about them myself and I spent hours trying to analyze them. Then I just let my Mac do it's thing. So to me I am not an expert but I believe all this is normal for one's iMac. I am running a iMac El Capitan for many years. My IMac is a 2007. So you can imagine all the Logs I have unless I clear them.

I could ask @NicCrockett and perhaps he will have some insight on all of this for us?

Edited: Please Submit a Support Ticket as @ProTruckDriver has mentioned. The Support Team might know if something is out of sorts with your Logs.

@ProTruckDriver ..Excellent reply!
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
Thank you everyone! It’s now with the support team. I’m sure it’s probably nothing.

As they say, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!
Userlevel 7
Badge +28
Thanks @Ssherjj! 🤗

Again, best of luck @TonyTiger! If you want to ask something about this, just reply here and I'll give you an answer if I can. 👍

Sincerely,
NicCrockett
Userlevel 7
Badge +28
Best of luck and I hope Support gets it worked out for you! Also, welcome to the Webroot Community, where dangerous is what we try to avoid. 😁

Sincerely,
NicCrockett
Userlevel 7
Badge +28
You're welcome @Ssherjj. I hope @TonyTiger finds an answer. I know Macs to the extent of knowing the OS. However, since I don't use Webroot on them I can only offer general advice on how they work together. I don't have it loaded on a Mac to see. Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

Sincerely,
NicCrockett
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
You're welcome @Ssherjj. I hope @TonyTiger finds an answer. I know Macs to the extent of knowing the OS. However, since I don't use Webroot on them I can only offer general advice on how they work together. I don't have it loaded on a Mac to see. Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

Sincerely,
NicCrockett

Nic you were more help then you think! You always are great at answering ones questions. Boondabah!😊
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
As mentioned in this thread, your best bet is to ask our support team as I'm not technically skilled enough to understand this and any correlation to Webroot. Our support team is trained on these matters and will be a great point of reference.
Userlevel 7
Badge +28
@TonyTiger,

Sorry for the delayed response. Unfortunately I stopped using the Mac version of Webroot a few years ago due to an issue that support couldn't resolve. However, that was a different issue, so I suggest that you follow @ProTruckDriver, @Ssherjj , and @LLiddell's advice and contact them. If this is just a log file issue, it could be as simple as deleting the older files or deleting the older entries in the current log. Support should be able to tell you if this is the case and how to do so. I imagine you don't want Webroot running when you do this. I'll let them give you directions though.

I will point out that this goes back to a feature request I submitted 7 months ago. Point 2 in my original post was about the log file not being cleaned out since Webroot was installed in 2015. Now this was the Business version on a Windows server, but I'm guessing some of the same issues exist on the Mac. Here's the link if you want to vote on it and comment on it if this issue applies. This way they are aware the issue applies to both PC and Mac.

https://community.webroot.com/submit-a-business-feature-request-30/webroot-house-cleaning-336767

Good Luck,
NicCrockett
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@NicCrockett ,

Thank you for helping out and answering my ping. Much appreciated. Teamwork 🙃