Full disk access

• 16 April 2020
  • 74 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Webroot keeps asking me for full desk access over and over.  I check my system preferences to make sure it’s checked and it is.  I even removed it from the list and added it back again.  It will start scanning for a few minutes and the Systems Preferences window pops up again.  I have uninstalled and redownloaded the app several times and it still keeps asking me for full disk access.  Thanks for any help!

Mac OS Catalina 10.15.4

Internet Security Plus

This topic has been closed for comments

74 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

I sent a support request in with the same issue.  Waiting for a response.  Starting to lose trust in this product.  Nothing but issues ever since upgrading to Catalina.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Fab 138, I also am awaiting a reply from tech support.  I totally agree with you about the trust factor.  I have never had any problems with this product until after I upgraded to Catalina.  Hopefully we’ll find a solution soon, or else…..

Userlevel 7

Hello @fab138  and @sgoode 

I’m not going to say Webroot is the problem. It may be then again it may not be the problem. Apple has been having many problems with macOS Catalina lately. The New update 10.15.4 many members have problems with it. Looking at Mac forums you can see all the problems they are having:

https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/macos-catalina-10-15.208/

https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/macos-mojave-10-14.205/

I don’t know what Apple did but they sure threw a monkey wrench in the mix when they last updated on Mojave and Catalina.

Your best bet is to get in contact with Webroot Support.

Btw: I’m still running macOS Catalina 10.15.3 and I’m not updating until Apple gets this mess straighten out.

HTH,

Dave.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Thanks Dave

Yes, I’m sure Apple’s issues are only adding to it.  My issue is that if Catalina truly is that much of a mess then Webroot should have made a business decision and told its users that they would not release a product that they could not stand behind and wait until the OS was stable.   Once they released it to their clients they own the issues, not their clients.

Secondly for an organization(Webroot) to not provide a proper uninstall package or procedure to its customers is not acceptable.   Having to call tech support and wait on a phone call for over an hr feels like the client is being held hostage.

Don’t get me wrong.  I love (loved) their product and have deployed it at many of my customer's sites...the last 6 months have been a tough sell though.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the problem.  I understand it can be very frustrating to have these prompts interrupt your business and we will do our best to help you with this situation.

We have been contacted about this problem by a few of our customers and our investigations so far has revealed that the FDA permissions may not be holding up correctly in some typical upgrade scenarios.

I believe some of you may have tried this already but completely removing Webroot from FDA permission list, restarting the computer and adding Webroot back on to the FDA list may help. Please let us know if you see any success with this workaround.

Our team is continuing to investigate and we will keep you posted with our findings and hopefully we will have a solution for you soon.

Thanks

Pawani

Badge +1

Hi,

one more with this issue!

I'm trying your suggestion / workaround without success 

Please solve this urgently

thanks 

NS

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hi @nunoabsilva,

Thanks for the note and sorry for the inconvenience. We are on it.

Thanks

Pawani

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Nope didn’t work.  Please unmark the post from PVaddi as the “Best Answer” as it does not fix the issue.

Badge +1

following - same issue

Badge +1

Having same trouble. This began to happen after a Webroot software update that was applied two days ago. I’m on Mac OS Cataline 10.15.4

Badge +1

Having same trouble. This began to happen after a Webroot software update that was applied two days ago. I’m on Mac OS Cataline 10.15.4

Same issue, same version of Mac OS. I even uninstalled webroot and re-installed it to no avail.

Badge +1

Same issue here.

Badge +1

Same issue - infuriating.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

I’m becoming less and less a fan Webroot support.  Why will you not provide clear and direct solutions on this forum?  Sending me a support response indicating, and I quote “If you have been browsing the forums then I'm sure you have also seen countless people mention the fix for this is only available via a remote connection and phone call.“  If you can fix these “countless” issues via a phone call why will you not post the solution here?

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

For those still having issues.  Do you have more than one user set up on your mac?

Badge +1

For those still having issues.  Do you have more than one user set up on your mac?

Yes, a user account and a machine admin account (which users don’t have access to).

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Try logging into both and re-setting up the “Full Disk access”.  It seemed to work for me.  At least the constant prompting stopped.

Badge +1

Try logging into both and re-setting up the “Full Disk access”.  It seemed to work for me.  At least the constant prompting stopped.

OK, just tried that - it was already ticked in both, and I removed/re-added it on both, but the issue is still there, it’s still asking me for Full Disk Access. Thanks for the suggestion though, worth a try!

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Did you try rebooting after?  

Userlevel 2

I’m becoming less and less a fan Webroot support.  Why will you not provide clear and direct solutions on this forum?  Sending me a support response indicating, and I quote “If you have been browsing the forums then I'm sure you have also seen countless people mention the fix for this is only available via a remote connection and phone call.“  If you can fix these “countless” issues via a phone call why will you not post the solution here?

fab138 - I spent an hour on hold and two hours while tech support “tried” to fix.  It is still broken and the malware that got on my system keeps us from serving America’s Warfighter in our defense against COVID-19.  Open Text is going to have blood on their hands and may be found culpable

Userlevel 2

I know it is not your job, but could you please provide more instructions or steps on what you mean by “log into both”

Userlevel 2

Hi @nunoabsilva,

Thanks for the note and sorry for the inconvenience. We are on it.

Thanks

Pawani

when you say you are on IT, when might that be complete.  Also could you help with answering how to log in as an Admin to set disk access permissions

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

I know it is not your job, but could you please provide more instructions or steps on what you mean by “log into both”

Hey Festus500

Not sure it will work for you but I logged into each profile that was set up on my mac and removed Webroot from the “Full Disk Access” and then re-added it in each.  I did one login profile at a time(i.e. removed it and re-added it and then moved on to the next profile).  Then I rebooted my laptop.  ….either that fixed it or I was holding my tongue just the right way when I clicked on everything and it magically started to work?

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Quick update.  Prompt is back.  Going to have to wait for Webroot to provide an official solution.

Same problem here. Halfway of a security-scan the pop-up appears about the full disk access.

Tried several times to get a full disk access according to the guidelines, but no result. Hope this problem is solved quickly either from Webroot or from Apple. These safety problems shouldn't occur!

As far as I know, I only have one account on my Mac. Unless my own account and an administrator account are to different accounts. 

I’m not experienced enough on a Mac though to totally remove Webroot, do a reboot of my Mac and then install Webroot again. Afraid I might damage more than is good for my Mac. So until then I have to wait till Webroot or Apple fix this problem. Hope it will be soon.

Edit after ca. 40 min.

Strange thing is, that when I look at the folder underneath the Full Disk Access folder (the folder “Files and Folders” on my Mac) and look at the screen right of it, it says that Webroot has Full Disk Access!?

Other thing I tried, was to able the Firewall in the Security and  Privacy screen, logged out and restarted my Mac. After the normal screen was on, I then clicked on the Webroot icon at the top of my screen and it was showing me Webroot was scanning my Mac (a long time and no pop-up appears about the Full Disk Acces)!?

So somehow scanning seems to be working but there’s only some sort of bug that keeps telling Webroot or my Mac that Webroot doesn't have a Full Disk Access!???

Hope you Webroot people can do more with this info.