(Logitech) Mouse Does Not Work When Webroot is Running

Userlevel 1
When I have Webroot up and running, my Logitech MX Master does not work. The side buttons and scroll wheel do not work. However, pointer and left/right click still work.

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi hf420

Welcome to the Community Forums?

I use an MX Master and am experiencing no such issues when also running WRSA.

I would first start by checking in Logitech Options (let me know if you are not aware of what that is) to see how the buttons you described are mapped, and then if that does not help then you can try the 'Restore Defaults' option available on the 'Mouse' panel.

The fact that some of the buttons are working and some are not leads me to surmise that it is a Logitech issue rather than one caused by WRSA...as generally if and when WRSA does interfere with devices it is usually all or nothing.

You should also try rebooting you system if you have not since you first discovered the issue. And if that does not help then I would uninstall the MX Master software & driver, reboot and then reinstall it to make sure that the installation was not faulty or has not been corrupted, etc.

And finally, though you should not have to do this, as I have not done so on my system, you could try checking for the key Logitech-related processes that should be running, being registered & blocked under the Identity Shield. These are as follows:

LogiOptions.exe
LogiOptionsMgr.exe

and if you so then set them to 'Allow' or 'Protect' and see if that helps.

Do let us know how you get on here. Hope that helps?

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 1
I tried restoring the settings to default and rebooting the system, but that offered no assistance. It appears to only function properly if I quit Webroot. The issue is on a Mac rather than a Windows machine. Also, both the side buttons function as pressing the scroll wheel down when Webroot is running.
Userlevel 7
OK, well I would then try uninstalling & reinstalling the MX Master software which will be labelled either Logitech Options or Logitech SetPoint, if it is the same as the Windows version that I am using.

Also, I will ping one of our Mac gurus, @ who I believe also uses the MX Master, in case she has come across this and so can assist.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello hf420,

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

I have a MX Master but I use with Windows 10. My Mac is using a wireless Logitech without any issues with pairing the device with bluetooth.

Note: I have just plugged in my MX Master to my Mac and I am not having any isses with Webroot blocking the mouse. I do have the Logitech Software called "unifying software." I have the Logitech Control Center installed on my Mac.
 I have Googled this for you...this might be of some help?

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I have the MX Master and no issues to report here on Windows 10 Pro x64.
Userlevel 1
I tried using Logitech Control Center, but it says it does not support my mouse, so I have to use Logitech Options (another program) instead. I tried reinstalling the program, but still no change. I'm currently connecting my mouse via bluetooth. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi hf420,

Well your best bet is to Submit a Support Ticket and they should be able to resolve this if it's a Webroot issue. Or you can call Webroot Support 1-866-612-4227, Monday through Friday from 7am-6pm. This is a free service with an active Webroot subscription.

You might want to uninstall/reinstall Webroot to eliminate if Webroot is the problem. If you need help doing that  let us know. Otherwise Support would be your best option.

Please let us know how it is going or if you resolve this issue. So that we may help others.:D

Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Hi hf420

You say that you are connected via Bluetooth...c an you try switching the connection to WiFi (it should be possible via the top most switch on the underside of the mouse...but remember that yo will have to also plug the WiFi sender/receiver that should have come with the mouse).

I am connected by WiFi (would not use anything else) and am not experiencing these difficulties.

Regards, Baldrick
I do vaguely remember some kind of a similar problem from the past regarding conflict between a certain brand of mouse and WSA (Identity Shield presumably and if I remember correctly). It's too long ago for me to remember exactly what the problem was, but might it possibly be productive for this case to dig up that thread (Wilders? Webroot Community Forum?)?? That is, if anyone remembers it and/or (even better) has links to that thread on the Forum.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
I do vaguely remember some kind of a similar problem from the past regarding conflict between a certain brand of mouse and WSA (Identity Shield presumably and if I remember correctly). It's too long ago for me to remember exactly what the problem was, but might it possibly be productive for this case to dig up that thread (Wilders? Webroot Community Forum?)?? That is, if anyone remembers it and/or (even better) has links to that thread on the Forum.
That was with Microsoft Mice and Keyboards back awhile and has been fixed.

https://community.webroot.com/t5/Product-Questions/Webroot-is-causing-my-microsoft-wireless-keyboard-800-to-crash/m-p/264625#M3825

https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/Does-anyone-have-a-solution-for-the-following-DRIVER-IRQL-NOT/m-p/254716#M25538

https://community.webroot.com/t5/Product-Questions/I-quit-using-Webroot-because-of-DRIVER-IRQL-NOT-LESS-OR-EQUAL/m-p/278032#M4519
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Version 9.0.13.50 (Released October 11th, 2016)
Improved
  • Hardened scheduled scans.
Fixed
  • BSOD with Microsoft wireless keyboards.
  • 4005 winlogon error.
  • Bug Fixes.
Userlevel 1
@ wrote:
Hi hf420

You say that you are connected via Bluetooth...c an you try switching the connection to WiFi (it should be possible via the top most switch on the underside of the mouse...but remember that yo will have to also plug the WiFi sender/receiver that should have come with the mouse).

I am connected by WiFi (would not use anything else) and am not experiencing these difficulties.

Regards, Baldrick
I just tried what you said and connected my mouse via the wireless adapter rather than bluetooth, and that seemed to resolve the issue. Thank you for the suggestion! But since I'm using the latest Macbook Pro, I prefer to use bluetooth connection so i dont need to use a dongle. But at least the issue is now isolated to bluetooth connection.
@ wrote:That was with Microsoft Mice and Keyboards back awhile and has been fixed.
Thanks, Daniel!
Userlevel 7
Hi hf420

Well, glad to hear that...at least it localises the issue, as you have pointed out. If I have time I will have to switch to trying the Bluetooth connection myself and see if I can reproduce this...I have never tried that form of connection nefore with the Mx Master.

If you have yet to Open a Support Ticket then now may be the time making sure that you point out that WiFI works whilst Bluetooth does not with the same hardware. Hopefully the Support Team can reproduce and find the cause.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Hi hf420

Well, glad to hear that...at least it localises the issue, as you have pointed out. If I have time I will have to switch to trying the Bluetooth connection myself and see if I can reproduce this...I have never tried that form of connection nefore with the Mx Master.

If you have yet to Open a Support Ticket then now may be the time making sure that you point out that WiFI works whilst Bluetooth does not with the same hardware. Hopefully the Support Team can reproduce and find the cause.

Regards, Baldrick
Bluetooth works very well on my Alienware Laptop with the Mx Master. 😉
Userlevel 7
Yeppers, I tried the Bluetooth angle on a temporary basis and it seems to work OK.

So Support Ticket route is definitively the best option here.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Yeppers, I tried the Bluetooth angle on a temporary basis and it seems to work OK.

So Support Ticket route is definitively the best option here.
Or maybe it has nothing to do with Webroot IMO?
Userlevel 7
Indeed...my toughts exactly...but hopefully the Support Team can get on it and find the cause. ;)
I am having the same issue.

MacBook Pro 15" 2017 w/ Touchbar
macOS 10.13.4
Logitech MX Anywhere 2 mouse via Bluetooth.
Just installed Webroot SecureAnywhere Internet Complete. Scrolling and side buttons have stopped working.

Is that why the Menu Item, "Pause Secure Keyboard Entry", available from the webroot icon in the macOS Menu Bar is there?

When I activate it.... all is well.

Kind of a clunky workaround for security software, don't you think?
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello jwouellette,

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

Sorry to hear you were having issues and that the "Pause Secure Keyboard Entry" fixed your Logitech issue. I have a Mac and a Logitech Mouse running without problems. This does happen occassionally.

Here is more information from the Webroot support help site:

Due to the unique way in which keyboard shortcuts work on the Mac OS, the secure keyboard entry feature may prohibit shortcut functions in a variety of applications. This includes, but is not limited to, Adobe Creative Suite Products, Macro applications, or some built in features that are triggered by key combinations—such as Dictation and Speech.

This can be resolved by clicking the Webroot icon located on the top right of the menu bar, then clicking Pause Secure Keyboard Entry.

http://sw.nohold.net/Webroot/Images/macpausesecurekeyboardentry.png 
Once activated, you will see a checkmark next to the menu option. While this is selected, Webroot SecureAnywhere will not secure keystrokes against keylogging software, though it will still be actively protecting you against infections. It is important to ensure that this function is enabled when browsing the internet—particularly on secure sites that require a username and password.

If you have any questions or require further assistance, click here to submit a Support ticket.

Hope this helps?