Solved

Mounted drives scanning regardless of Advanced Options setting

• 19 February 2018
  • 29 replies

Hi, there.

I have opened up a case with Webroot support, but I thought I'd post something here as well.

Has anyone noticed the latest version of Webroot SecureAnywhere for Mac (9.0.7.44: 775) scanning mounted drives (ie...Time Machine Backups) regardless of the "Scan mounted drives" setting in Advanced Settings --> Scan options being unchecked?

I have tried removing and reinstalling both the traditional way (shutting down SecureAnywhere and dragging the application to the trash prompting the uninstall) and through the terminal (sudo /usr/local/bin/WSDaemon -u ).

Has anyone else noticed this?  I have three High Sierra Macs all doing the same thing.  It started with this version of SecureAnywhere.

Just curious...
icon

Best answer by TripleHelix 7 March 2018, 22:54

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

29 replies

Userlevel 2
Yes this seems like a bug in the latest release. I noticed this as well with mounted dvd drive. Dvd drive cannot be used due to the fact that another program (Webroot) is using the drive. This is not solved after Webroot finished scanning... drive cannot be used anymore... Please fix this annoying issue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +48
Thanks for posting and submitting a ticket with our Support team. That's the best way to get your issue resolved as fast as possible.

Regarding the matter at hand, I'd also like to know if others are experiencing this as I'll escalate this to our team and let them know that this is happening. I might have to reach out to each of you individually to collect some more information. 

Thanks!
Thank you, freydrew.

I just got off the phone with Tech Support.  We have verified that the "Scan mounted drives" and "Scan archived files" options are unchecked.  We also agreed that the uninstalling and reinstalling yielding the same results is peculiar.

I have sent over support logs for the Support Rep to relay over to Product Development.

If others are having the same issue, please reply to freydrew so he can get a sense of how many others are experiencing the same thing.

Stay tuned...
Userlevel 7
Badge +48
Thank you for sharing @ and yes, if anyone else in the community is experiencing a similar issue please let me know by posting here on this thread. 

Happy to hear that Support was able to help you out. 
Also me. Macbook Air High Sierra 10.13.3. Webroot SecureAnywhere 9.0.7.44: 779. Particularly irksome when it scans Time Machine drives. Haven't seen drives unusable after the scan though.  
Having the same problem here.

iMac High Sierra v10.13.3; Webroot SecureAnywhere v9.0.7.44:780

Popup window appears every few minutes to tell me that webroot is scanning newly mounted drives; specifically my TimeMachine backup drive attached to my AirPort Extreme.
Yes I am having the same problem of Webroot scanning my Freenas shared Time Machine. Scan Mounted Drives is unchecked. Webroot version is 9.0.7.44

~ Update ~

I received a message from Webroot Support today:

------------

Hello, 

Thank you for bringing the issue you are experiencing to our attention. The Webroot Development team has been notified of this issue and is currently working on a resolution. We expect to address this issue in an upcoming software version release, which will be downloaded automatically to your computer and installed when it is available. 

For now we would like you to go into the Advanced Settings of Webroot SecureAnywhere on your Mac and then go into the Scan Settings tab on the left panel. From there make sure that the option for "Scan mounted drives" is unchecked along with the option below it for "Scan archived files". 

If you require further assistance, please let us know. 

Kind Regards, 

The Webroot Support Team

------------

@, is there any way you can help track the progress of this fix?  I can't speak for anyone else, but my TimeMachine backups are on my network drive and this little bug is pounding both my storage and my network.

Thank you in advance, @.

Stay tuned, all...more to come from Webroot in the near future.
Same issues as everyone else! 
Userlevel 7
Badge +48
Thanks everyone for letting us know what you're experiencing. I've requested an udpate and will try to provide as much information as I can when I hear back. 

Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Hi,

Thank you for reporting this issue.  We understand this is a stress on systems like yours.  Developers are currently working on a solution that will be in the next release.  They are not finished with the fix yet.

I also wanted to clear up some confusion.  The advanced settings mentioned above are for regular scans, like the kind of scans that happen on a schedule.  The new mounted drive scanning that was introduced in the last version is triggered in a different way and won't follow those settings.  So even if you disable "Scan mounted drives" and "Scan archived files", that doesn't change whether a mounted drive is scanned automatically when connected to the computer.  It will change whether the next system scan will include files in the mounted drive or archives, however.  (There was some confusion about that at first, which is probably why you got that response from Support.  That should be cleared up now.)

Thank you for your patience.  We'll get this resolved as quickly as we can.  I can update this thread with updates as I get them.

Kind regards,
Hi, I've got the same problem, and the specific effect I'm most concerned about is that with webroot running, even after it is apparently done with scanning the drive, I cannot eject the disk (in my case it's a usb stick), because Mac OS (10.12.2) tells me that "something" is using it.

Question: until a fix comes through, is it ok to force eject?

Thanks much,

David

Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Hi David,

We've done quite a bit of testing since this issue was reported by inserting flash drives to investigate what is happening.  We did not see any issues with the "force eject" option causing problems during our tests. 

That being said, if there is another program on your Mac that's still using the drive after Webroot's scan is complete, it's possible that other program could cause issues.  This is highly unlikely, especially if you didn't have problems before the last Webroot release.

If you do use "force eject", we recommend you check to see that the scan is complete before force ejecting to make sure it is not still actively scanning the drive.  To do that, click the Webroot icon in the upper right corner of the screen and it will allow you to view the scan progress if it is still scanning the drive.

Kind regards,
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Hi,

I have an update on this issue.

We are going to release a patch that will remove this new scanning feature for the time being so we can work out the kinks.  It's the quickest way we can resolve the issue for everyone who is having the problem now.

Kind regards,
Just to add a note of confirmation, I have the same problem, and it goes away when I completely disable WebRoot. So, there definately is a bug in the newest release.
Please kindly advise on status of update.  My Mac computer continues to process multiple scans at a time and they are slowing down everything. I stop the scans and then they start up again. There are threats I am not able to quarantine that are marked with a red shield icon.  My Time Machine continues to be scanned and I have disabled the archived files as well.  

Thanking you in advance.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@ wrote:
Please kindly advise on status of update.  My Mac computer continues to process multiple scans at a time and they are slowing down everything. I stop the scans and then they start up again. There are threats I am not able to quarantine that are marked with a red shield icon.  My Time Machine continues to be scanned and I have disabled the archived files as well.  

Thanking you in advance.

The fix for this issue is currently being beta tested as of late yesterday.  If that goes well, we can start distribution to a wider group next week.

Since this issue is having such an impact on your system, I can help you get the support you need to get the fix sooner, now that we have a beta build available.  I'll start a support ticket on your behalf and make sure it gets routed to the right place.  When the support ticket is created, you should get an email.  If you don't get one shortly, send me a DM so I can make sure you're taken care of.

Kind regards,
Yes, same issue.  Macbook Pro Retina, running, macOS High Sierra version 10.13.3

Please let me know how I can get the "patch" that was referred to earlier to disable this for now.  I am so frustrated with this I am about ready to just uninstall webroot altogether. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Hi @

I'm sorry to hear it's been frustrating!  I'll connect you with an escalation engineer who can help you out.

Kind regards,
Thank you!
Hi,

Please keep up the urgency on this fix. I'm impacted with my IPOD refusing to eject on:

System Version: macOS 10.13.3 (17D102)
  Kernel Version: Darwin 17.4.0
  Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
  Boot Mode: Normal
  Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled
  System Integrity Protection: Enabled
  Time since boot: 3:12

Thanks,
-Mike
No one contacted me after I emailed them call times for me. My computer is struggling 
Hi, all...

Just a quick update to let you know that Webroot SecureAnywhere for Mac version 9.0.7.50 has been released to the general public.  My Mac updated automatically.  I can confirm that the scanning mounted drives issue is no longer present.  I checked Time Machine and USB drives.

All is right in the world again. :D

Thank you for taking care of this so quickly, Webroot!!

Hope this helps,

@
No update for me...still scanning my Time machine.:(
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello jphwop75,

Sorry to hear you are having this issue. 

There will be a new Mac Webroot release that will fix the scanning of mounted drives. If you could just hang in there for abit longer this will be taken care of as soon as the testing is finished of the new Mac Webroot Version.

Also you can Submit a Support Ticket and they will take a look at this for you.

Edited: @ are you able to add anything here? :)

Thanks!