Solved

Multiple Webroot Issues

• 16 November 2019
  • 14 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hello,

I re-installed the new WebRoot update after upgrading to Catalina on my Mac.  When I click on the WebRoot icon, a Finder box pops up with the message “The application ‘Webroot SecureAnywhere’ can’t be opened.”  The only option it gives me is “OK.”  I can open WebRoot using the icon in the upper right corner of my computer screen.

Also, when WebRoot does open, the Last Scan, Scan duration, Total scans and Subscription areas are blank.  The Next Scan says “preparing to scan...”  

Is any of this normal?  Thank you!

icon

Best answer by Maggie1949 18 November 2019, 01:00

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62

Hello @Maggie1949 ,

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

Sorry to hear about these issues. No it is not normal for Webroot to run like it is on your system. I think that you should Submit a Support Ticket and Support will help you out Free of charge. And they will have you up and running in no time. I hope… but...

Again as I have told others If it was me I would uninstall Webroot and reinstall with the instructions here . Use the free Webroot installer and follow those instructions given. But only uninstall/ reinstall Webroot if you are confident with following those instructions. Otherwise let the Support Team help you.

To uninstall Webroot follow below:

Uninstall WSA on Mac Computer
Make sure you have a copy of your 20 Character Alphanumeric Keycode! Example: SA69-AAAA-A783-DE78-XXXX

Be sure you add your Keycode to your Online Console: Webroot SecureAnywhere Online Console

1. Shut down SecureAnywhere by clicking the Webroot icon in the menu bar and selecting Shut Down SecureAnywhere.

2. If prompted, confirm that you want to shut down SecureAnywhere.

3. Open the Applications directory.

4. Click and drag the Webroot SecureAnywhere program icon into the Trash in the dock.

5. A confirming window appears. Click Uninstall.

Webroot SecureAnywhere is now uninstalled. Reboot the computer.

Hope this helps?

All the best,

Sherry

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Thank you Sherry!  My husband is the administrator for our WebRoot.  Is it necessary that I set up my own account before I uninstall and reinstall WebRoot?

Userlevel 7
Badge +62

Hello @Maggie1949 

Please look here for your husband to add a user/you to his Online Account Console since he is Administrator he can make you an Administrator as well.

https://docs.webroot.com/us/en/home/wsa_website_userguide/wsa_managementwebsite_userguide.htm#ManagingYourAccount/AddingUsers.htm%3FTocPath%3DManaging%2520Your%2520Account%7C_____3

Hope this helps?

Userlevel 7
Badge +62

@Maggie1949 sorry I misread your question. I believe you can uninstall/reinstall just by having your keycode. Unless an error pops up saying you need to be an Administrator but I haven't had that happen to me before. 

@TripleHelix? One can uninstall/ reinstall Webroot without being the Administrator right?

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Your right@Ssherjj  just need to have the keycode and installer to do a clean reinstall.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Okay for reinstall, but still having problems with uninstall.  I followed the directions Sherry sent but when I try to move the Webroot icon to the trash, a message pops up “operation can’t be completed because you don’t have permission to access some of the items.”  I have access permissions on the Webroot console and the key code is there.  Thank you for any advice!

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Okay for reinstall, but still having problems with uninstall.  I followed the directions Sherry sent but when I try to move the Webroot icon to the trash, a message pops up “operation can’t be completed because you don’t have permission to access some of the items.”  I have access permissions on the Webroot console and the key code is there.  Thank you for any advice!

@Ssherjj  Sherry is the Mac expert and I’m not sure?

Userlevel 7
Badge +62

Hello Maggie1949,

Are you able to right click the Webroot icon in the upper right corner of your screen and click on Shut Down SecureAnywhere and enter the captcha and Webroot should shut down. Then you should be able to drag to the trash,  These permissions pop ups are permissions from your Mac Catalina and not from Webroot’s Online Account Console.

You can also go into Safe Mode with Networking and uninstall Webroot without having any permission issues.

Turn on your Mac and immediately after hearing the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key. Keep holding the Shift key, wait for the login screen. When you see the login screen, release the Shift key. Your Mac is now in safe mode.

Then you can follow the instructions here . to reinstall Webroot after restarting your Mac.

But honestly I would Submit a Support Ticket and let Webroot know that you are having issues with Webroot and Catalina. They should be able to get Webroot working for you again.

Please keep us posted.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Yes, I am able to click on the icon and shut down Webroot but I still get the pop up message when I attempt to drag the icon to the trash.   I will try the safe mode and will submit a support ticket if not successful.  Thank you everyone for your advice.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +62

You’re most welcome! Holler if you have anymore questions.

Though I am sorry I could not help more…

Best of luck!

Userlevel 7

Hello @Maggie1949 

If I may add here, you said you are seeing:

“operation can’t be completed because you don’t have permission to access some of the items.”

I also have been seeing this popup in the lower screen. This has started since I upgraded to macOS High Sierra and has continued on with all the upgrades since. The reason you see this popup is because after the uninstall Webroot leaves many files behind. The only way as of now to remove these files is to use ONLY WEBROOT’s SUDO COMMANDS and NO OTHERS. The sudo commands would be done by remote to your computer by Webroot Support. Webroot does not give out the sudo commands by Support Ticket, I tried. Here are the files that are left behind after you uninstall:

HTH,

Dave.

Userlevel 7
Badge +62

Thank you @ProTruckDriver! Needed your expert help badly Sir Dave! 😊

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Thank you Sherry and Dave!  I think I have slain the dragon!  I first went into the applications directory and under “more info” for Webroot I checked that everybody had read/write capability.  I then followed your instructions Sherry for going into safe mode.  After I logged in, I shut down Secure Anywhere.  I went back into the applications directory and was able to move Webroot to the trash and deleted it from there.  I restarted my Mac normally and reinstalled webroot following the instructions on this website:          

https://docs.webroot.com/us/en/home/wsa_mac_userguide/Content/GettingStartedWithMac/InstallingSecureAnywhere.htm

So far it seems to be working, will keep my fingers crossed!

Userlevel 7
Badge +62

You're most welcome @Maggie1949 

Great to hear! Good job!

Thank you for letting us know. We're always here if you need additional help at anytime!😊