Solved

A ? for the team

While browsing the topics over on the Microsoft Forums, a Windows Moderator was answering a question about the Anniversary Windows 10 download/installation. In his suggestions to the original poster of the question, he recommended that downloads/installations go quicker if .... ( A ) you use an Ethernet connection instead of a WiFi connection, and ( B ) if you turn OFF all AntiVirus Protection and Firewalls.

It took forever to install the newest Windows version 1607. I don't have nor want any WiFi and did use an Ethernet connection for the download.  Would the installation have been quicker and as safe if I did turn off the Webroot and Windows firewall ?
icon

Best answer by BurnDaddy 8 August 2016, 20:33

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi ROBERT1725

I remember you mentioning this in another thread that we were both involved recently. ;)

All I can say is that I have a 51Mbps internet connection and I managed to download & install the Anniversary Update in a little over an hour WITH WSA enabled.

Whether an Ethernet connection would be quicker than a WiFi one in this circumstances is a moot point...it will certainly be more stable/less prone to any potential drop outs, etc...but I would NOT undertake a download with out something covering my back, i.e., WSA.

Whilst is questionable if the miscreants would find you out there unprotected so to speak in the window of time your AV/AM is off...but why take the chance...I personally would not.

Hope that helps?

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 3
a is correct but last point, i didn't recommend to you in this sophisticated world of cybercrime
Hi ?,

Just to add my 2 cents. I downloaded the Anniversary update at work using Wi-Fi (12Mbps, according to Speedtest) and, like ?, it took about an hour (35 mins. to DL, 20 mins to install) on an older, dual-core laptop. (4GB RAM, Samsung 850 Evo SSD) With, of course, WSA running the whole time. And, like Baldrick, I don't recommend turning off Webroot either.
Maybe there was a lag on the Microsoft end of things for you? Not sure why it took so long for you. :@

Have a good day/evening, all. ;)

bd
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Well I tried every Preview even before Windows 10 was released and never had any issues with WSA running and I never turn it off installing any new or updated software, never had a reason to and still don't IMO.

I have a fast connection 250/20 Mbps minimum down and up Wi-Fi and a fast laptop so it only took me 35 to 45 minutes to install the Anniversary Update for Windows 10 Enterprise x64.

If anyone would like to share there experiences with there upgrade feel free to post.

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
It took me around 35-45 (don't quote me) minutes to update to the Windows Anniversary update. Seemed pretty fast for my Alienware.The problems I had were: it knocked out my Bluetooth (reinstalled) and after the install Windows told me there was a problem with my Gagets and did I want Windows to repair? I said yes to repair but I ended up uninstalling Gagets 8 to reinstall and the gadgets would disappear and I'd have to reinstall again. Now when I open my Internet Browser..Firefox. It opens in a tiny box which I have to enlarge every time. I am looking forward to patch Tuesday!! Hoping the bugs will be worked out. 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
It took me around 35-45 (don't quote me) minutes to update to the Windows Anniversary update. Seemed pretty fast for my Alienware.The problems I had were: it knocked out my Bluetooth (reinstalled) and after the install Windows told me there was a problem with my Gagets and did I want Windows to repair? I said yes to repair but I ended up uninstalling Gagets 8 to reinstall and the gadgets would disappear and I'd have to reinstall again. Now when I open my Internet Browser..Firefox. It opens in a tiny box which I have to enlarge every time. I am looking forward to patch Tuesday!! Hoping the bugs will be worked out. :D
The after market gadgets are really not supported so the reasons you are having so many issues with them as we chatted about them via emails.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
It took me around 35-45 (don't quote me) minutes to update to the Windows Anniversary update. Seemed pretty fast for my Alienware.The problems I had were: it knocked out my Bluetooth (reinstalled) and after the install Windows told me there was a problem with my Gagets and did I want Windows to repair? I said yes to repair but I ended up uninstalling Gagets 8 to reinstall and the gadgets would disappear and I'd have to reinstall again. Now when I open my Internet Browser..Firefox. It opens in a tiny box which I have to enlarge every time. I am looking forward to patch Tuesday!! Hoping the bugs will be worked out. :D
The after market gadgets are really not supported so the reasons you are having so many issues with them as we chatted about them via emails.
Yes we certainly did at that Daniel. I learned alot! 😃 Mucho Grande';)
@ wrote:
It took me around 35-45 (don't quote me) minutes to update to the Windows Anniversary update.. Seemed pretty fast for my Alienware.The problems I had were: it knocked out my Bluetooth (reinstalled) and after the install Windows told me there was a problem with my Gagets and did I want Windows to repair? I said yes to repair but I ended up uninstalling Gagets 8 to reinstall and the gadgets would disappear and I'd have to reinstall again. Now when I open my Internet Browser..Firefox. It opens in a tiny box which I have to enlarge every time. I am looking forward to patch Tuesday!! Hoping the bugs will be worked out. :D
My Wi-Fi didn't work at first on initial reboot after install, had to turn back on. Also had to reset all Privacy/Reporting settings as well since they had all been reset to default (On).:@

I turned gadgets off in Windows 7 years ago because I had heard they were a security risk. I didn't even know WIN10 had them. :S

You've probably already seen this, Sherry. Don't know if it 'll help, but just in case. :)

bd
Well, I have no idea on why it took nearly an entire day to install it and at this point I suppose its moot. Computer seems to be behaving just fine. Much obliged for the communities feedback. Case closed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Well, I have no idea on why it took nearly an entire day to install it and at this point I suppose its moot. Computer seems to be behaving just fine. Much obliged for the communities feedback. Case closed.
Very odd indeed but at least it installed and it's working fine!

Cheers,

Daniel 😉