Solved

Accidentally clicked on a malicious link - how to make sure it's blocked?

I didn’t realize my Webroot Filtering Extension was off when I was browsing this morning and I clicked a link that looked promising, but then when I looked at the URL, I realized it might be sketchy. I clicked “BACK” immediately.

I turned my WFE back on and looked at the link again the search engine, and sure enough there’s a big red “!” next to it. I tried to see if clicking the red “!” would give me more information and then it took me to the link again!

Does this mean that the website is now whitelisted? Is there a way to BLOCK it now?

icon

Best answer by TripleHelix 6 May 2020, 19:12

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @lynxdia 

Instead of making you jump through hoops to get this fixed it’s best to do a clean reinstall of WSA!

Please follow the steps closely!

• Make sure you have a copy of your 20 Character Alphanumeric Keycode! Example: SA69-AAAA-A783-DE78-XXXX
  • Be sure you add your Keycode to your Online Console: Webroot SecureAnywhere Online Console
  • KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Geek Squad Subscription PC users click HERE) Let us know if it is the Mac version you need
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again
  • DO NOT import any old settings as you can set it up as you like once it's done

Please let us know if that resolves your issue and make sure the Web Shield is turned on in your supported browsers.

Thanks,

If you don’t have the Webroot Filtering Extension on (i.e., it was accidentally turned off), does the Web Shield still work? Web Shield is still turned on.

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @lynxdia 

Please keep posting in the same thread as you don’t need to start a new thread on every question.

Also have you tried the clean reinstall I posted above? If not please do so and make sure the web filter extension is enable in all supported browsers.

Internet Explorer

Microsoft Edge

Firefox

Chrome

Thanks,

HI @TripleHelix -- thank so much! The WFE works fine now -- what happened was that it was turned off when I clicked a website, and about a millisecond after I clicked it, I realized it seemed sketchy and hit “back”. I then realized that my WFE wasn’t on for some reason (I didn’t turn it off).

So I enabled WFE and sure enough, there was a red “!” next to that website’s name. I’m trying to figure out if I could have been infected by the first time I clicked on it, when WFE was off, but supposedly my Web Shield was enabled (according to my Webroot Dashboard).

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

@lynxdia I don’t think you were infected unless something tried to download and run on your system then the Realtime Shield would of picked that up but if you want a free security check please Submit a Support Ticket and they will let you know for sure! But make sure your Web Threat Shield is turned on and that the Extensions are installed and enabled on your supported browsers.

Info: https://docs.webroot.com/us/en/home/wsa_pc_userguide/wsa_pc_userguide.htm#UsingFirewallWebShieldProtection/ChangingFirewallWebShieldSettings.htm%3FTocPath%3DUsing%2520Firewall%2520%252F%2520Web%2520Shield%2520Protection%7C_____2

And: https://docs.webroot.com/us/en/home/webthreatshield_userguide/webthreatshield_userguide.htm

Note: When submitting a Support Ticket, Please wait for a response from Support. Putting in another Support Ticket on this problem before Support responses will put your first Support Ticket at the end of the queue and support can take up to 48 hours to reply.

Thanks,

Thank you so much for your patience and awesome knowledge!

….

Also have you tried the clean reinstall I posted above? If not please do so and make sure the web filter extension is enable in all supported browsers.

Internet Explorer

Microsoft Edge

Firefox

Chrome

How do we do that TH ?

In my Chrome, Edge Chromium an Firefox browsers there is no Webroot showing in the extensions list of each browser.

I can see under Intentity Protection, Application Protection, firefox.exe and chrome.exe as protected. I added Edge Chromium and Internet Explorer to the list manually. 

Is there another way?

Last time I used Webroot over a year ago I would see in Google and Bing rearch results a green or orange or red symbol from Webroot checking the links, but I do’t see it again. That’s why I am wondering if the web filter extensions are working or not, and how to add them.

Thanks.

Create another thread if you appropriate.

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

@Cavehomme2

Microsoft Store for the Edge Chromium Browser: https://microsoftedge.microsoft.com/addons/detail/fmkaflbamgddpjacdmjlkhbnpnlemaea

Chrome store for Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/webroot-filtering-extensi/kjeghcllfecehndceplomkocgfbklffd

And for Firefox: https://community.webroot.com/web-threat-shield-131/adding-web-threat-shield-to-firefox-342501

HTH,

Thanks Daniel, very helpful.

By the way, why are they not included in the default install ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Thanks Daniel, very helpful.

By the way, why are they not included in the default install ?

Well IE, Chrome and Firefox should be by default but sometimes they are not but the new Chrome based Edge is not in the WSA Client code at this time.