Adobe Warning on [Cerber style] Ransomware

• 9 April 2016
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +8
I gor this warning in my email inbox today.  What is Webroot's response?

Adobe issued an emergency update to its Adobe Flash Player software today after researchers discovered a vulnerability that was being exploited to deliver ransomware (variants of Cerber ransomware).

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Hi Claveman

I can only provide what I think will be and is Webroot's response in these circumstances based on my past experiences.

Webroot will have assessed the vulnerability but most likely done nothing other than be certain that any payload or dropper that might be deployed by means of this new 'hole' would get instantly jumped upon by WSA, as per usual. So it is most likely business as usual, unless they have detected a need to amend WSA due to the morphing of a threat.

They are constantly assessing & reassesiing the way that the various variant of ramsomware operate and indeed, over the last few month a number of the updates have had as a reason "improvements in anti malware features" (no specifics as they do not want to tip the malware writers' hands).

And BTW the best defnese for this is, to make sure that you have patched the Adobe Flash Player on your system. If you need help or guidance re. getting the correct new versions then please see this previous post which has the links in it.

Regards, Baldrick