Solved

Best second opinion scanner with WRSA

Userlevel 3
Hi everyone,
After doing some research I have decided I would like to complement WRSA with a second opinion scanner. I have narrowed it down to 2 choices; Malwarebytes premium and Hitmanpro.alert. Which one would you guys recommend? 
Thank you! 
icon

Best answer by Baldrick 22 April 2018, 12:00

View original

14 replies

@ wrote:
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
I am going to try Hitmanpro for the 30 day trial and then either keep it if I'm satisfied, or switch to Malwarebytes. Thank you both for your answers! 
Hello ALEEF02,

I run Malwarebytes (on demand) scanner on my PC and Mac. Just a reminder, if you install MBAM you'll get the 30 day Trial Premium Version. After the 30 days it will turn into a Free Version. It's been so long, I can't remember if you can opt out of the Premium Version Trial. :S
To deactivate the 14-day Premium Trial of Malwarebytes for Windows, open the application, then go to the Settings > Account Details tab.  Deactivating the Premium Trial downgrades Malwarebytes for Windows to the free version.
https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1033

Yep, 14 day trial for Windows, 30 day trial for Mac. ;)
Yep, 30 day trial for Mac.  Thanks
https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1883
Userlevel 3
So, I uninstalled Hitman pro alert and went to uninstall Hitman pro. But, I noticed that for some reason because I had Hitman pro alert, it was activated for 3 years until 2021. So I'm going to just stay with normal Hitman Pro, not Alert.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
I am going to try Hitmanpro for the 30 day trial and then either keep it if I'm satisfied, or switch to Malwarebytes. Thank you both for your answers! 
Hello ALEEF02,

I run Malwarebytes (on demand) scanner on my PC and Mac. Just a reminder, if you install MBAM you'll get the 30 day Trial Premium Version. After the 30 days it will turn into a Free Version. It's been so long, I can't remember if you can opt out of the Premium Version Trial. :S
To deactivate the 14-day Premium Trial of Malwarebytes for Windows, open the application, then go to the Settings > Account Details tab.  Deactivating the Premium Trial downgrades Malwarebytes for Windows to the free version.

Yep, 14 day trial for Windows, 30 day trial for Mac. ;)
Userlevel 3
Sounds like Malwarebytes will be my secondary scanner. Thank you for all the help! 
Userlevel 7
Hi ALEEF02

The 'normal' Hitman Pro does not still scan and remove unwanted files and viruses after the 30 day trial, as far as I know, as there is no freeware version as there is for MBAM.

My firm recommendation is to go for the freeware.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 3
When I get home I will promptly uninstall Hitmanpro.alert. Does the normal Hitman pro still scan and remove unwanted files and viruses after the 30 day trial? I've heard Malwarebytes still does after the trial
Userlevel 7
Hi ALEEF02

You need to be careful with HitmanPro.Alert...that is NOT Hitman Pro, but a much more complex and powerful tool...akin to the Complete version of WRSA where HitmanPro is akin to the AntiVirus version of WRSA. HitmanPro.Alert includes exploit protection, ransomware protection, plus a number of other defenses and as such is NOT recommended as a second opinion scanner due to the potential for a clash with WRSA real time protection. 

And at the moment HitmanPro.Alert is detecting the latest beta version of WRSA as malware, specifically GEN.VARIANT.MIKEY 80871 related to the executable WRSA.EXE. I have reported this and been advised that they are looking into the FP.

So you may want to focus on MBAM for the moment or get yourself a copy of HitmanPro.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 3
So, about a few hours in and we're already off to a great start

@ wrote:
@ wrote:
Hello ALEEF02,

Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Hello ALEEF02,

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi ALEEF02,

You are most welcome. Keep in touch to let us know how it's going if you get a chance. 😉
Userlevel 3
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello ALEEF02,

I use the on demand AV (HitMan Pro) along with Webroot for the very reason that @ has stated. But I agree also that either one or both are good without any conflicts. 😉
Userlevel 7
Hi ALEEF02

An oft asked question. ;)

In fact either would be near the top of the list and in fact I use both for an occasional 'background' check of the system (and they will occasionally pick up things like tracking cookies, suspicious Registry entries that WRSA does not look for).

So either would be a good complement; note that with MBAM there is no need to go for the premium version which requires a subscription as that only really adds/provides you with the real time protection components (which the freeware version does not)...and you do not need those components as that is what WRSA excels at. IMHO you just need the manual scanning & removal options that come with the freeware version.

Hope that helps?

Regards, Baldrick