brother repaired computer, put essentials on it

• 25 September 2014
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9
My brother helped me out by getting a small computer to run for me after we went
through several outages, he insisted on putting Microsoft essentials on it, if I understood him
correctly, and he claims I can't put another virus protection on at the same time.

Can someone steer me on this one, I paid for I think 5 years of Webroot and want to put
webroot back on that computer? 

12 replies

Userlevel 7
 Hi slhayes

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Whilst generally that is true it is not in the case of WSA, as it was designed from the outset to work withother security solution...so you should certainly be able to run both together.

Although if you have a WSA licnese I would dump MSE ASAP and just use WSA as it is a much better so,ution.

Regards,Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
My brother helped me out by getting a small computer to run for me after we went
through several outages, he insisted on putting Microsoft essentials on it, if I understood him
correctly, and he claims I can't put another virus protection on at the same time.

Can someone steer me on this one, I paid for I think 5 years of Webroot and want to put
webroot back on that computer? 

Hello sihayes,

Welcome to the Community Forum,

As mentioned in another thread,

1.) It should not cause a problem. Not running two antivirus at a time is advice for XP-era antivirus that patched the kernel, sometimes causing issues if more than one application did it. Antiviruses at that time were also much slower and PCs less powerful with less threads. There are still suites that recommend that they be the only ones running, but MSE and WSA are not among them.
2.) If you want to unintstall you should be able to uninstall just MSE and have no problems. I have no reason to think it's required, but if it was me I would remove MSE, reboot, and install WSA. Again, I have no technical reason you should do this, but it's what I would do.

If you have anymore questions please feel free to ask,

Best Regards,

Userlevel 3
Badge +9
Thanks Sherry for the opinion.  I will probably go the way you say.  I just went through a lot here, my husband spent a week in ICU with pneumonia, and we had so many power outages, to be honest I have not even turned on that computer and hope to do it this afternoon, I want to use it down the basement with bare minumums on it, but want WebRoot on it.  My brother started in this business before there were home computers and is really hard core on some things.
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
Thanks to everyone for the super fast replies, hope to get on it later today.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
Thanks to everyone for the super fast replies, hope to get on it later today.
Hello sihayes!

Let us know if you need anymore help because we are always here ready and willing to assist!

I'm also sorry for your Husband being in ICU, Thats very stressful.

Thank you for replying back as well!

Have a great day!
Userlevel 7
Hi slhayes

No problem...always happy to help out.

To be honest getting rid of MSE is a no brainer as even MS admit that it is just a basic product and suggest that users move onto something more 'hard core' in term of protection...which WSA certainly is.

Anyway, do come back here and letnus know what you end up doing, or if you have any further question re. WSA, etc.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
I am having problems now.  I downloaded WebRoot and it went on okay, but I had also tried to download my password program that I started to use before WebRoot, and I did get some stuff on there I shouldn't have, but got it off by way of WebRoot.  I had to reboot and now the machine won't come back to the internet.  I tried removing essentials just in case, but that did not help.  I am at the point of just giving the machine to my brother, but honestly I had to hang up on him, I don't want to get him too upset, but he insists I keep the machine with the programs I don't want, so I can't prove much to him at this point.  What I am seeing now on the machine is the LAN doesn't have a valid IP.  I tried going through the trouble shooter shutting off the modem for 10 minutes and turning it back on, but nothing.  When I first turned it on I did get to the internet, but things were probably not set right, and I am lost at this point.  This machine I am trying to get to work is one of the small Acer Revo machines, real small but 150 GB drive on it.  He put on a beta version of Win 7, he has been in computers from day one like I indicated in another response, but I know things can be worked out without him. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
I am having problems now.  I downloaded WebRoot and it went on okay, but I had also tried to download my password program that I started to use before WebRoot, and I did get some stuff on there I shouldn't have, but got it off by way of WebRoot.  I had to reboot and now the machine won't come back to the internet.  I tried removing essentials just in case, but that did not help.  I am at the point of just giving the machine to my brother, but honestly I had to hang up on him, I don't want to get him too upset, but he insists I keep the machine with the programs I don't want, so I can't prove much to him at this point.  What I am seeing now on the machine is the LAN doesn't have a valid IP.  I tried going through the trouble shooter shutting off the modem for 10 minutes and turning it back on, but nothing.  When I first turned it on I did get to the internet, but things were probably not set right, and I am lost at this point.  This machine I am trying to get to work is one of the small Acer Revo machines, real small but 150 GB drive on it.  He put on a beta version of Win 7, he has been in computers from day one like I indicated in another response, but I know things can be worked out without him. 
Hi slhayes,

Can you do a system restore? Maybe one of our other gurus will have some advise in this matter,

You might need a clean reinstall of Webroot to eliminate if it's Webroot issue or not,

Can you please do a clean reinstall of WSA and Please follow the steps closely!

• Make sure you have a copy of your Keycode
  • KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Subscription PC users click HERE)
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode and don't import any settings as you can set it up as you like once it's done
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again
Please let us know if that resolves your issue? If not then we will look at alternative avenues to try and solve this for you.

Best Regards,
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
,Sherry, I did the system restore and I got the internet back again.  I am torn on whether to remove essentials first, I did not do that the first time around, but have a feeling the problem came for downloading earlier.  I stopped my downloads when I realized they were not from the source I thought I had, but when I did a scan with WebRoot, there were 8 to 15 tiems that had to be removed, when I went back in one was still in the add/remove folder, did another scan but it did not detect it.  So I guess at this point I have to decide whether to remove essentials first then put WebRoot back?  Thank you Sherry
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
,Sherry, I did the system restore and I got the internet back again.  I am torn on whether to remove essentials first, I did not do that the first time around, but have a feeling the problem came for downloading earlier.  I stopped my downloads when I realized they were not from the source I thought I had, but when I did a scan with WebRoot, there were 8 to 15 tiems that had to be removed, when I went back in one was still in the add/remove folder, did another scan but it did not detect it.  So I guess at this point I have to decide whether to remove essentials first then put WebRoot back?  Thank you Sherry
Hello silhayes,

Thank you for the update. IMO yes uninstall Microsoft essentials. Reboot. Then rescan with Webroot.  If everything is running with Webroot you do not need to reinstall. You should be all set to go with Webroot. I only wanted you to reinstall Webroot to see if that was the culprit but doing a system restore to get your Internet back was great.

Please let us know if you need more help. ;)Awaiting your response.

Thanks,
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
It's working now.  Thanks Sherry and all who had input.  I decided to uninstall Essentials after everything else was stable.  I talked to my brother after the intenet came back, and we seem on agreement that what caused the problem was the downloads I tried.  I did not do a complete install on any of them, kept backing out and after I decided to uninstall the crap Web Root had to remove some stuff, and it looks like it may have left something behind.  I saw one thing in the uninstalls that was from those downloads even after I uninstalled them I think it was called Web Protect.  I was trying to get to a program called 4uonly which I have used for years and I kept seeing the icon, but when  I scrooled down it wasn't from the company the program was from.  I wrote to the site and was told it hasn't been available for 5 years.  I may have it on a drive somewhere, but I won't try to look for it on the internet anymore.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
It's working now.  Thanks Sherry and all who had input.  I decided to uninstall Essentials after everything else was stable.  I talked to my brother after the intenet came back, and we seem on agreement that what caused the problem was the downloads I tried.  I did not do a complete install on any of them, kept backing out and after I decided to uninstall the crap Web Root had to remove some stuff, and it looks like it may have left something behind.  I saw one thing in the uninstalls that was from those downloads even after I uninstalled them I think it was called Web Protect.  I was trying to get to a program called 4uonly which I have used for years and I kept seeing the icon, but when  I scrooled down it wasn't from the company the program was from.  I wrote to the site and was told it hasn't been available for 5 years.  I may have it on a drive somewhere, but I won't try to look for it on the internet anymore.
Hello slhayes,

That's great that you have Webroot up and running and have resolved things with your brother. I would like you to try this when you have time because it's rather lenthy and you can check for PUAs if you want to. Sometimes Popups come about when you download from a misdirected Website.

Webroot is doing it's job by protecting you but sometimes you will get malware pop ups with downloads. So I suggest you follow this when you can.

The Community refer to as a PUA. (Potentially Unwanted Application) These are very annoying at best in that they cause pop-us, redirect your browser home page, and other behavior that may slow down the computer and direct ads your way, but they are not actually doing anything bad like damaging files or stealing information. Often they are installed intentionally by you the user as browser add-ons for various tasks such as quick search tools.. but they also come with the result of added annoying pop-ups and ads. Other times they 'piggy back' with other software that you installed, or try to 'sneak' onto your system entirely.

WSA does detect and remove many PUA's, and more are being added, but WSA does not detect all of them. A simple browser add-on with PUA behavior that is easy to identify and easy to remove is not likely to be detected and removed by WSA. Those that are intentionally difficult to locate and remove are. Please see THIS LINK for more information regarding Webroot's stance on these annoying programs.

For those that are not detected by WSA, please see this KB Article. It has some easy to follow directions on locating and removing PUA's. You may also want to submit a Trouble Ticket, especially if you cannot remove it easily from the directions in the KB Article.

For those that ARE detected by WSA, but cannot be removed automatically, you can submit a Trouble Ticket.  Webroot Support will help you get these annoying 'crapware' off your computer at no extra charge, and the additional examples may help to better automatic removal of that particular PUA for all users in the future.

To make sure that your WSA is checking for PUA's with the best proficiently, it sometimes helps to reset the PUA detection within WSA's settings. For PUA's that had previously been scanned and determined to be OK, but have since been added to detection/removal, you may want to complete the following steps:

• Open Webroot SecureAnywhere
  • Click on ‘Advanced Settings’ from the top right
  • Select ‘Scan Settings’ from the left side
  • Unselect the option “Detect Potentially Unwanted Applications”
  • Click on the Save button (you may have to enter in a CAPTCHA)
  • Reselect the option to “Detect Potentially Unwanted Applications”
  • Click on the Save button
  • Run another scan with Webroot and remove any items that get detected.
To help avoid PUA's in the future, remember to read all of the information when installing or updating software (Adobe downloads often have those "extra special offers"attached... PUA'S!: often the PUA included will be mentioned, and you can opt out of installing it.  Those check boxes you see? Usually only one of them is for the User Agreement of the software you want, the others are for the junk you don't.

I hope this helps you to understand,and let us know if you need anymore help or if you just want to driop in and visit.

Good Luck.

Thanks for working with us!:D