Solved

[Bug]Quarantine goes blank

• 24 August 2012
  • 3 replies

Hi,
I found if the quarantine has a plenty of files, it goes blank sometimes.

Normal Quarantine:
http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u511/aguyouren/Webroot_NormalQuarantine.jpg

Blank Quarantine(No grid lines, total blank):
http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u511/aguyouren/Webroot_BlankQuarantine.jpg

Environment:
Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64
8G RAM
Plextor M3P - 128G
Webroot SecureAnyware Essential - 8.0.1.299
icon

Best answer by JimM 24 August 2012, 19:29

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello,

Please do not talk about intentionally downloading malware onto a system in this forum.  This is never a good idea, and in some areas it's actually illegal.  The whole point of antivirus software is to not get infected, and unfortunately when somebody sets a bad example, there will always be others who are influenced into following the same path.  It is written into our Community Guidelines.

It's also important to point out that dumping hundreds and hundreds of different, unrelated infections onto a single test machine is not representative of any real-world infection situation.  I'm not sure how many infections you're testing against at once based on the screenshots, but it would be useful to know.

Since there is not currently a version "8.0.1.299," we will assume you meant 8.0.1.229, which is the most current version.

That said, I would still have to defer to a developer to know for sure if the quarantine blanking itself out is considered to be a problem or not in light of this being a test environment with potentially hundreds or thousands of infections having been intentionally dumped into it.  If it only affects testers that launch an unrealistic, intentional attack on a test box, I'd be hesitant to call it an actual bug.  Maybe it is though; it will require a bit of analysis above what we can facilitate on Community.

I would encourage you to create a support ticket, which will be the quickest way to pass on your concern to our support and quality assurance teams.

In the future, please avoid posting about tests.  This is the sort of thing that is best presented via the support system so as not to encourage folks to infect their computers and potentially do something illegal.
Sorry for what I did, I would go to find the support team for this issue.

However, I don't think test 0-day malware on a real machine is a wrong thing. That's what AV-Test and AV-Competitives do.

Additional, this issue is not cause by virus actually, I just scan samples by Webroot then Webroot put them into quarantines.

Thank you for replying.
Userlevel 7
Thank you for avoiding doing that again, and we're happy to have you here. :)

Yes, that is what AV-Test and AV-Comparatives do, but they do it professionally. It's best to leave such testing to professionals.

Some people may wish to test the airbags on their car, and they note that Consumer Reports does this all the time. However, it's inadvisable for them to personally take their cars out on the freeway and drive them into the guard rails to see what the airbags will do. Likewise, it's inadvisable to purposely attempt to infect your computer for any purpose.