Solved

(Bug) "Scan with webroot" on right click menu stops working at random times!

Userlevel 1
Hello,

I think I have come across another "bug" concerning the "Scan with webroot" on right click menu.

I don't know what causes it but at random times on all my computers running Webroot Secure Anywhere Essentials 2012 Version 8.0.1.184 the "Scan with webroot" on right menu stops working. What happens is I right click on a file or folder and and click on "Scan with webroot" and then nothing happens. I get no pop up box from  Secure Anywhere showing its scanning.

And when this bug happens the only way I seem to be able to get  "Scan with webroot" working again I have to shut down Secure Anywhere Essentials and restart it. Once I do that "Scan with webroot" works like normal again until the random bug happens again.

But like I said I have no idea what makeit happen in the first place.

But there must be a bug somewhere in the software that neess to be fixed.

Anyone else here every have this happen?

Thanks
icon

Best answer by JimM 17 December 2012, 23:37

View original

42 replies

Userlevel 1
I was able to look at the event logs and there were so many errors that reported "WRSA service stopped working".

And the last one was indeed from this morning as I reported early.

Here is what it said

Log Name:      System
Source:        Service Control Manager
Date:          8/29/2012 11:18:04 AM
Event ID:      7031
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      Basement-PC
Description:
The WRSVC service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 10000 milliseconds: Restart the service.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="49152">7031</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-08-29T15:18:04.240421900Z" />
    <EventRecordID>15807</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="520" ThreadID="2520" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>Basement-PC</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data Name="param1">WRSVC</Data>
    <Data Name="param2">1</Data>
    <Data Name="param3">10000</Data>
    <Data Name="param4">1</Data>
    <Data Name="param5">Restart the service</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>
Userlevel 1
Click the links below for screenshots of the Event Viewer with the errors.

http://img160.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=77377_ClipboardSnapshotr_122_518lo.jpg

http://img120.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=77378_ClipboardSnapshot_122_152lo.jpg
Userlevel 1
Well on one of my other computers "Scan with webroot" was working for almost a full 7 days and then I just noticed this morning it stopped working again. I viewed the Event Viewer and it looks like it stopped working at 3AM early this morning. And as you would expect I was not even on my computer at this time because I was sleeping.

Here is what the Event Viewer said.

Log Name:      System
Source:        Service Control Manager
Date:          9/5/2012 3:01:13 AM
Event ID:      7031
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      Bedroom-PC
Description:
The WRSVC service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 10000 milliseconds: Restart the service.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="49152">7031</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-09-05T07:01:13.435242200Z" />
    <EventRecordID>251111</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="620" ThreadID="1700" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>Bedroom-PC</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data Name="param1">WRSVC</Data>
    <Data Name="param2">1</Data>
    <Data Name="param3">10000</Data>
    <Data Name="param4">1</Data>
    <Data Name="param5">Restart the service</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Here is a screenshot!
http://img286.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=55432_ClipboardSnapshot_122_109lo.jpg

Also this other computer only has one account on it so no "user switching" is being used. The other computer does have more then one user accounts.

Anyway as I am sure you already know I have had this issue on all 3 of my computers since I started using Secure Anywhere.
Userlevel 7
Hi Gate,

It appears the related support case has been awaiting a response from you for the past two weeks. We're just curious if you're planning to follow up on that support case so we know whether or not to close out this thread. Would you mind following up please? Thanks 🙂
Userlevel 1
Ok I will update the support case.

However just to let you know this issue is not fixed yet.
Userlevel 1
Hi
I have this same problem, can not use neither function with right click 😞
Userlevel 7
Our lead developer believes he will have the right-click issue fixed in a forthcoming build. 🙂
Userlevel 1
That would be really great news! :)

Keep us posted.
Userlevel 7
Gate, I should note that your particular case might be different. These new reports do not seem to be due to the same reason (service crash), whereas yours appeared to be due to an unstable operating environment. Your case was looked at by four different escalation engineers, and we all came to the same conclusion that the issue was computer-specific. We'll see what the forthcoming build does to solve the problem, but to be honest, I'm skeptical it's going to resolve your particular case, so I don't want to falsely get your hopes up. I could be wrong though. We're going to have to wait on the build to find out for sure.
Userlevel 7
Badge +13
Build 8.0.2.92 has been released to the updates servers.As usual it will make it's way to everyone over time.All the manual download links i have checked have been updated to 8.0.2.92.A changelog will be forthcoming later on,but i can confirm that the right click and scan with Webroot,and the missing first typed character in browser issues are both fixed in this new build.Enjoy:D
Userlevel 1
Are you confirming my right click issue is also fixed?

Or the other right click issue that JimM was talking about?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Do you have the new update .92? Also Jim said that you have an "unstable operating environment" which tells me that you need to do a Clean OS reinstall.

TH
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
...which tells me that you need to do a Clean OS reinstall.

Not necessarily - "unstable operating environment" can mean hardware as well.  I'm not ruling out that reinstalling the OS would be a valid troubleshooting step (albeit an onerous one), but I wouldn't want to go so far as to propose that it would solve the problem for sure.  I have a box at home I've been working on for a while now trying to figure out why there was a service crash happening repeatedly.  Then I realized I had a bad stick of RAM.  I had the fortune of being in front of that computer though and the ability to pull things out and put them back in.  At some point, when an issue gives you enough indications it may be hardware related, there's no substitute for troubleshooting the hardware.

Let's see what happens with this new build though.  Gate, how is .92 working for you?
Userlevel 1
I just upgraded to Version 8.0.2.96 so I will use it for a while and let you know how it goes.

Right click scan with Webroot works fine on my Win 7 box, doesn't work at all on my Win 8.  Both machines running 8.0.2.96.

I take that back.  Although I had rebooted my Win 8 machine this morning, a few hours later right click scan file did not work.  I just rebooted again, and now it works!  This is crazy!
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I take that back.  Although I had rebooted my Win 8 machine this morning, a few hours later right click scan file did not work.  I just rebooted again, and now it works!  This is crazy!
Please create a new support ticket with Webroot here and let them know.