Solved

Can't add files to PC Security Block/Allow list

• 23 July 2014
  • 9 replies

I'm running WSA IS Plus on Windows 7x64.  I tried adding an executable file to the Block/Allow list in the PC Security section, but after "adding" it isn't displayed in the list.  Any help appreciated TIA
icon

Best answer by ams963 24 July 2014, 03:27

View original

9 replies

Unlucky I have no experience with WSA IS plus so I cannot judge about this. But i can give more conclusions regarding your mozilla firefox problem. You try to reinstall the firefox.exe file.
Userlevel 6
@ wrote:
@
Thanks Beth. I've edited my post. I've included the difference between monitor and allow.:)
Thank you!

It will be very helpful to other members!

Beth
Userlevel 7
@
Thanks Beth. I've edited my post. I've included the difference between monitor and allow.:)
Userlevel 6
Welcome to the community Victek! Great to have you here!

Come often and share your experiences with us!

Beth

Great description ams963! 
@ wrote:
PC security consists of shields which constantly monitor activity while you surf the Internet and work on your computer, protecting your computer from malware and viruses. As you surf Internet sites, you could be targeted for a drive-by download, where an unwanted program launches and silently installs on your computer as you view pages. We recommend you keep all shields enabled.

Shields run in the background without disrupting your work. If a shield detects an item that it classifies as a potential threat or does not recognize, it opens an alert. The alert asks if you want to allow the item to run or if you want to block it. If you recognize the file name and you are purposely downloading it (for example, you were in the process of downloading a new toolbar for your browser), click Allow to continue. If you were not trying to download anything, you should click Block.

SecureAnywhere includes these types of shields: Realtime shield, Rootkit shield, Web shield, USB shield and Offline shield.

Identity Protection protects you from identity theft and financial loss. It ensures that your sensitive data is protected, while safe-guarding you from keyloggers, screen-grabbers, phishing schemes, and other information-stealing techniques.

Identity Protection consists of two shields: the Identity shield and the Phishing shield.

WSA automatically add browsers to the protected list. You can provide additional security for software applications that may contain confidential information, such as Instant Messaging clients or tax preparation software. By protecting these applications, you secure them against information-stealing Trojans like keyloggers, man-in-the-middle attacks, and clipboard stealers.

You can add any applications to the Protected Applications list and assign them to one of the protection levels: Protect (“Protected applications” are secured against information-stealing malware, but also have full access to data on the system. You might want to add financial management software to the category. When you run a protected application, the Webroot icon in the system tray displays a padlock), Allow and Deny.

Userlevel 7
PC security consists of shields which constantly monitor activity while you surf the Internet and work on your computer, protecting your computer from malware and viruses. As you surf Internet sites, you could be targeted for a drive-by download, where an unwanted program launches and silently installs on your computer as you view pages. It's recommended that you keep all shields enabled.

Shields run in the background without disrupting your work. If a shield detects an item that it classifies as a potential threat or does not recognize, it opens an alert. The alert asks if you want to allow the item to run or if you want to block it. If you recognize the file name and you are purposely downloading it (for example, you were in the process of downloading a new toolbar for your browser), click Allow to continue. If you were not trying to download anything, you should click Block.

When WSA is "Monitoring" it means that the program is still unknown. It is being analyzed and journaled, if the process/program causes harm to the PC it will be able to revert the damage done.

The status should automatically switch to "Allow" after they are found to be legit.

Monitored programs will still be able to access the internet unless you're specifically blocking them. Monitored programs will be blocked from accessing private data so even if they are accessing the internet, they won't be able to steal your information in the first place.

SecureAnywhere includes these types of shields: Realtime shield, Rootkit shield, Web shield, USB shield and Offline shield.

Identity Protection protects you from identity theft and financial loss. It ensures that your sensitive data is protected, while safe-guarding you from keyloggers, screen-grabbers, phishing schemes, and other information-stealing techniques.

Identity Protection consists of two shields: the Identity shield and the Phishing shield.

WSA automatically add browsers to the protected list. You can provide additional security for software applications that may contain confidential information, such as Instant Messaging clients or tax preparation software. By protecting these applications, you secure them against information-stealing Trojans like keyloggers, man-in-the-middle attacks, and clipboard stealers.

You can add any applications to the Protected Applications list and assign them to one of the protection levels: Protect (“Protected applications” are secured against information-stealing malware, but also have full access to data on the system. You might want to add financial management software to the category. When you run a protected application, the Webroot icon in the system tray displays a padlock), Allow and Deny.
Thanks for the reply.  Can you say what the difference is between the categories, ie PC Security and Identity Protection, and how WSA determines which files go where?  Also what is the difference between monitor and allow?
Userlevel 7
Firefox should be automatically added in the "Identity Protection" section and not in the allow/block section PC Security.
I wanted to add Firefox.exe since it is not listed.
Userlevel 7
What are you trying to block/allow? I can whitelist/black the file if you need it