CloudScout

• 25 April 2015
  • 3 replies

Hi, I'm new to Webroot.  I am getting pop-up ads from CloudScout and can't figure out how to get rid of it.  Webroot doesn't seem to recognize it - is that because it's Adware?  I have tried to find it to uninstall it, but it doesn't appear anywhere in program files that I can see - anyone know how I can remove, or if Webroot has a function that will help me remove it?

Thanks.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi dbaumer

Welcome to the Community Forums.

You are quite correct in that what you have apparently been 'infected' by is a non-malware program we commonly refer to as a PUA or Poetentially Unwanted Application.

These are, as you have found to your cost, very annoying at best in that they cause pop-us, redirect your browser home page, and other behaviour that may slow down the computer and direct ads your way (as does CloudScout), but usually they are not actually doing anything bad like damaging files or stealing information.

Often they are installed intentionally by you the user as browser add-ons for various tasks such as quick search tools. But they also come with the result of added annoying pop-ups and ads. Other times they 'piggy back' with other software that you installed, or try to 'sneak' onto your system entirely.

The key to avoiding them is to make sure that when downloading apps one does so from the author's own website or one that they have recommended, and not 3rd party downloading site.

WSA does detect and remove many PUA's, and more are being added, but WSA does not detect all of them. A simple browser add-on with PUA behaviour that is easy to identify and easy to remove is not likely to be detected and removed by WSA. Those that are intentionally difficult to locate and remove are. Please see this link for more information regarding Webroot's stance on these annoying programs.

From my research it would seem that you are unlucky in that CloudScout Ads sometimes has a usable Uninstall entry that can be used to remove the program.  But as you have advised this is not the case for you, unfortunately.

So if  you feel or consider yourself technically proficient then you can try these steps to remove it from your system.

However, if that does not work, or you do not feel technically capable, then the recommended course of action/next best thing to do is to Open a Support Ticket so that Webroot Support to take a look and remove these for you.  There is NO CHARGE for this for valid WSA license holder.

Hope that in someway helps?  Please do come back to let us know how you get on or if you have any further questions.

Regards, Baldrick
Thanks so much, Baldrick! Will get back with you and let you know how I manage (or not)...

Diane
Userlevel 7
Hi Diane

You are most welcome.

Do come back to let us know and if you do not manage (but hopefully you will) then we can see if we can try some other avenue, etc., but in all honesty the Support Ticket may be your best bet.

Regards, Baldrick