Solved

Create a NEW My Account?? Why? Is this May 2022 popup even from Webroot?

Userlevel 2
  1. I have had a Webroot account for years now, but each morning for about the last week when I start my Windows 10 PC, this popup appears telling me to “click here” to “create a NEW My Account.”

Is this (late May 2022) popup even from Webroot?  If it is, why am I being asked to create an account when I already have one (sounds highly suspicious to me)?  If the popup is not from Webroot, what steps should I take to eradicate the little vermin? 

Thank you.

icon

Best answer by TylerM 22 June 2022, 00:41

View original

31 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @Falcon 

Yes there was a pop-up from the Webroot client but it should have stopped so have a look here: https://community.webroot.com/webroot-secureanywhere-antivirus-12/webroot-carbonite-popup-not-going-away-351453

Thanks,

Userlevel 2

Okay, so I just read that thread.  All I can see is I should contact support to solve this.  Yes?

Also, do I ACTUALLY need to go initiate a new “my account” to make this stop?  Or was it a popup sent by mistake all along?

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

No you don’t need the new account and it wasn’t a mistake and has been stopped but if it continues for you contact support please.

Userlevel 7
Badge +24

@Falcon Yeah so the popups were supposed to be a one time thing that you could just go “okay thanks” and click away, however the implementation of this specific notification had many issues and the persistence was quite severe for some people. It should go away after you close it, but if you are STILL getting the popups over and over, then there might be something wrong with the installation and only then would I recommend reaching out to support 

https://www.webroot.com/us/en/support/contact

Userlevel 2

I will contact support. It keeps happening each morning when I turn on the computer. 

Thanks.

Userlevel 1
  1. I have had a Webroot account for years now, but each morning for about the last week when I start my Windows 10 PC, this popup appears telling me to “click here” to “create a NEW My Account.”

I started getting this a couple of weeks ago.  Every time I boot my computer I get this pop up message.  I have used Webroot SecureAnywhere for a long time and never had any problems, until now.  So   I tried contacting Webroot Support to find out how to get rid of this annoying pop up message.

And that is when I found out that Webroot Support is completely broken and useless.  Very disappointing.

Userlevel 2

I submitted a ticket to Webroot Support 13 days ago but haven’t heard back.  Just crickets.  Wondering what the heck is going on over there.  Nobody has bothered to even respond “We don’t have an answer yet, but we’re working on it.”  Silence is highly concerning. Maybe it is broken and useless.  I’m strongly considering switching to another company. 

Userlevel 1

I looks like they fixed the problem with the “Create a NEW My Account” message popping up.

But their customer service has been so terrible I’m not sure I want to continue with a company where everything is so completely broken and useless.

Can’t log in to my account.

Can’t reset my password -- tried several times but their website is completely broken and the password reset email is never sent.

Can’t call them -- Support sent me a message that they don’t want to help me online “for security reasons” and they gave me a phone number to call -- but every time I call that number I’m on hold forever.

Userlevel 7
Badge +24

@Falcon 

I looked up your ticket and they responded to you 2 days ago. I have DM you the message they sent 

@LMHess 

Have you seen this post to answer questions about your account?

Also, I looked up your email that you used to create an account here and I don’t see any ticket that you submitted. Did you use a different email or contact a support that wasn’t official Webroot? The response you received does not sound like anything we would say 

Did you use this link to find out how to contact support because we are staffed and responsive

USA

Call 1-866-612-4227

7am - 6pm mountain time

Technical Support

SUBMIT A TICKET

Userlevel 2

I’ve had the same email address for years.    No response arrived.  Thanks for posting about it.

I’m still angry as a customer, for three reasons:

1. I should have gotten some initial notification from Webroot explaining that this would even need to be done.  Who trusts a popup asking for their data when a company already has their data?!   I have now set up a new account, but I never got a message from your company saying any such thing would be legitimate.  All I got was a highly suspicious popup asking me to enter my key code and password again to “create a new account.”  Um, gee.  Sure, mysterious popup demanding info for a company that already has my key code and password,  sounds believable to me. I’ll do that right away!   No sign of phishing there!
  2.  Webroot corporation should have migrated their clients’ data themselves anyway - not asked their clients to do it.  I have spent hours on this now trying to figure out a matter I never should have had to do in the first place. 
  3.  Even if the email had arrived to the email address you’ve had for me for years, it took them 10 days to respond?   That’s a week and a half after I requested help.  

I see the email supposedly sent to me after 10 days reads “a banner will continue to occur off and on throughout the year” and “cannot be turned off for single users.” I hope they don’t mean that popup is going to continue.  Is the popup fiasco is solved, will it stop now?  Since a banner is not a popup, I’m hoping you’re going to say yes, the popup will stop now.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I’ve had the same email address for years.    No response arrived.  Thanks for posting about it.

@TylerM Looks like there is a problem receiving emails from Webroot Support, especially as @Falcon and @LMHess are reporting similar problems.  Something is blocking emails from Webroot Support and there is nothing in the Spam/Junk Mail folder.  However my Gmail account (also the same one registered to the Keycode) successfully receives messages when someone posts a response in a Webroot Community thread.

I have checked my Gmail setup and there are no blocks on Webroot emails which means that the issues are at the Webroot/OpenText end.  I am yet to receive any emails from Support, not a single message!

I see in a different thread that there could be a whitelisting issue:

Another thread refers to the inability to receive Support emails:

There is a consistent theme here, but apparently the fix is to contact Technical Support, but that is a chicken vs egg scenario.

When will Support release the next version which has no popup messages?

Userlevel 2

AV1 is right, I checked my Gmail spam folders too - nada from Webroot Support.  But the notifications regarding having a forum response do arrive reliably. Something does seem to be going wrong in outgoing mail from tech support.  If it has happened with three of us, it must be happening with others as well.  It’s not an Outlook issue, as I don’t use Outlook.  

(And as AV1 noted, it would be nonsensical to ask me to contact tech support to fix this, as I am currently not getting mail from them reliably.)  Thanks.  

My question still stands - by “banner” did they mean “popup”?  So the popup will not be turned off for individual users?  It is still popping up for me each morning.

Userlevel 1

@TylerM Looks like there is a problem receiving emails from Webroot Support, especially as @Falcon and @LMHess are reporting similar problems.  Something is blocking emails from Webroot Support and there is nothing in the Spam/Junk Mail folder. 

There is something wrong with Webroot’s system and e-mails are not being sent from Webroot Support.

I got 2 e-mails today telling me that there were new messages in this forum.  But when I try to reset the password on my Webroot account ( https://myaccount.carbonite.com/createaccount )-- no e-mail is ever sent.

Unfortunately, Webroot seems to have ZERO interest in finding/fixing the problem.  I have gotten exactly ONE response from Webroot, and that was just to tell me to call a phone number -- a phone number that is never answered.

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @LMHess 

How about this Online Console? https://identity.webrootanywhere.com/v1/Account/login

Userlevel 1

Hello @LMHess 

How about this Online Console? https://identity.webrootanywhere.com/v1/Account/login

That link just takes me to the Management Console.  I can already do that.  That’s not the problem.

Y’all can stop advising people to contact customer support, with or without logs. It’s just a waste of time. They don’t have a fix.

I took the forum advice and contacted support since I was still seeing the popup box after going to the trouble of registering a new account. I received the following generic, non-helpful message 9 days later. I’ve bolded the key paragraph and underlined the key sentence.

I wonder if the banner messages will continue to appear after I uninstall Webroot software and switch to a competitor.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Webroot Support. We apologize for the inconvenience you are experiencing.

In March 2022, we released a new My Account portal for all Carbonite customers and new Webroot customers. The new My Account portal has been designed to allow you to be able to manage both the Carbonite and Webroot products.

Since you have already created an account, please feel free to ignore these messages. These banner messages are being provided for all customers and will rotate and change throughout the year. At this time, we do not have the ability to remove these messages for single users.

If you require any further assistance, please let us know.

Thank you,

The Webroot Support Team

Userlevel 1

we do not have the ability to remove these messages

The Webroot Support Team

That is completely insane.  The popup messages just started recently -- I first noticed them about a month ago, maybe a little longer.  maybe 2 months at the most.   I don’t remember exactly when it was because I sometimes go for long periods of time with rebooting my computer.

But I’ve been using Webroot for almost 5 years.  Obviously they put the popup message into a recent program update.  If they can put them in, they can take them out.

To say that they can’t take them out is just an outright lie.

The popup messages just started recently -- I first noticed them about a month ago, maybe a little longer.  maybe 2 months at the most. ..But I’ve been using Webroot for almost 5 years.  Obviously they put the popup message into a recent program update.  If they can put them in, they can take them out.

The timing has been the same for me.

I’m sure they could take these banner popup messages out with another update, but they would have to take them out for all users, or at least add an Options setting to not display them on any one device, and evidently they’ve calculated it’s in their interests not to do that.

What do you suppose the messages will rotate to later in the year? Happy Holidays? Or: For a limited time, Carbonite back-up software, 10% off? Remember the pre-Carbonite days, when Webroot just ran unobtrusively in the background?

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

we do not have the ability to remove these messages

The Webroot Support Team

That is completely insane.  The popup messages just started recently -- I first noticed them about a month ago, maybe a little longer.  maybe 2 months at the most.   I don’t remember exactly when it was because I sometimes go for long periods of time with rebooting my computer.

But I’ve been using Webroot for almost 5 years.  Obviously they put the popup message into a recent program update.  If they can put them in, they can take them out.

To say that they can’t take them out is just an outright lie.

@TylerM@TripleHelix There are several basic IT101 questions arising:

1. Who enabled the stupid Carbonite popups in the first instance - was it the Webroot Support Team or the Carbonite Support team or the OpenText Support Team?  Some clarity is required here.
  2. Who has the ability to remove the messages?  I hope that someone did not overlook the need to do a backup of the codebase, or was the old source code “lost”?  This happens from time to time in IT. Imagine if Microsoft or Apple said that they could not backout a software release which impacted users … how would the users react?
  3. Are corporate users of Webroot impacted by popup messages or is it restricted to Home users?
  4. When will Webroot seriously invest time and effort to investigate support ticket notification emails not being sent out, or do Home based / single users not matter? 
  5. What is a realistic ETA to issue a new release of WSA that does not include the popup messages?  One would have thought that 3 months from March 2022 would be sufficient time unless the programmers have left the company.
  6. What is the importance and urgency level to investigate and resolve the issues?  Using ITIL, this would rate at least as a Severity 2 incident or has the matter been passed over to Problem Management to investigate/resolve as a known issue?

For the Webroot Support Team to state in writing that “please feel free to ignore these messages” is an absolute disgrace, and the response would be to “please urgently release an update to WSA,  otherwise risk losing much of the Home based single user customer base”.  “Feel free” is so condescending and insulting that the phrase should be obliterated from the English language. 

Webroot users want answers and clear communications as to when the issue will be resolved rather than uncertainty.  There is much uncertainty and poor communications occurring.  Webroot should issue communications immediately to all registered users acknowledging the problem and provide a firm resolution timeframe to resolve the issues. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +24

To everyone in this thread... ALL messages have been completely turned off as of last week. If you are still getting them, even only every once every few restarts, then it is absolutely a bug and you should uninstall and reinstall. Please let me know if you get this popup post un/re

This was never meant to be the nuisance that it was and we are very sorry for the inconvenience. The in product messaging was released with a persistence level that was not intended. It was absolutely over cumbersome and was expected only to be a “once in a while” message that you could close - that is why support recommended to ignore the messages. However, even turning this messaging to the intended level still caused frustration for many to assume that there is still an issue. As of last week, ALL in-product “my account” product messaging have been turned off. If you are still getting this pop up then you have an issue with your installation and you must uninstall/reinstall to remedy the issue. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Thanks Tyler!

Hey Tyler - 6/28/2022 I uninstalled and reinstalled. Upon reboot I’m still getting this annoyance. Now what ?  And I can’t submit a ticket because after entering my email it repeatedly asks for PW….doesn’t accept my PW. I’ve tried both Webroot PW & Webroot Community PW - neither works.

Userlevel 7
Badge +24

Hey Tyler - 6/28/2022 I uninstalled and reinstalled. Upon reboot I’m still getting this annoyance. Now what ?  And I can’t submit a ticket because after entering my email it repeatedly asks for PW….doesn’t accept my PW. I’ve tried both Webroot PW & Webroot Community PW - neither works.

Hey @TDyas 

You need to uninstall and then delete the WRDATA folder in %appdata% directory. Support would be more than happy to remote onto your computer and do this for you - just know that the password is completely separate from Webroot community or Webroot account. I would reset the password and then save it into your password manager/browser.

If you still have issues getting into the Webroot Support ticketing site, then I would call them and they can resolve your issue of the popup and also make sure you get access to the ticketing system.

Userlevel 4

I purchased a business version today but the install went sideways because my personal version wasn’t fully installed - couldn’t fix it. I also received that message to create a new account. So it definitely is not removed.

Also, for those who are unaware and recommending uninstalling. That is a lovely but flawed process. Uninstalling Webroot is like cutting off the head of a Hydra. It does not fully uninstall. Webroot be removed from the surface as it will stop showing as installed under apps or programs, but it remains in the registry. And even duplicates data with restarts. I currently have a 4 headed hydra named Webroot in my registry.

Userlevel 4

Btw, Tyler - the account console may actually be asking for your special code (PIN) rather than a password. The passcode / pin would be a 6 digit character that you select numbers 2, 3, 5 or 6 of to enter. I noticed the pin / code was being referred to as a password which can be confusing for people.

I mentioned this to Support a few years ago that using consistent language in reference would make their lives and customer’s lives easier.