Solved

Create a NEW My Account?? Why? Is this May 2022 popup even from Webroot?

Show first post

31 replies

Userlevel 1

I’ve had the same email address for years.    No response arrived.  Thanks for posting about it.

@TylerM Looks like there is a problem receiving emails from Webroot Support, especially as @Falcon and @LMHess are reporting similar problems.  Something is blocking emails from Webroot Support and there is nothing in the Spam/Junk Mail folder. 

There is something wrong with Webroot’s system and e-mails are not being sent from Webroot Support.

I got 2 e-mails today telling me that there were new messages in this forum.  But when I try to reset the password on my Webroot account ( https://myaccount.carbonite.com/createaccount )-- no e-mail is ever sent.

Unfortunately, Webroot seems to have ZERO interest in finding/fixing the problem.  I have gotten exactly ONE response from Webroot, and that was just to tell me to call a phone number -- a phone number that is never answered.

Y’all can stop advising people to contact customer support, with or without logs. It’s just a waste of time. They don’t have a fix.

I took the forum advice and contacted support since I was still seeing the popup box after going to the trouble of registering a new account. I received the following generic, non-helpful message 9 days later. I’ve bolded the key paragraph and underlined the key sentence.

I wonder if the banner messages will continue to appear after I uninstall Webroot software and switch to a competitor.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Webroot Support. We apologize for the inconvenience you are experiencing.

In March 2022, we released a new My Account portal for all Carbonite customers and new Webroot customers. The new My Account portal has been designed to allow you to be able to manage both the Carbonite and Webroot products.

Since you have already created an account, please feel free to ignore these messages. These banner messages are being provided for all customers and will rotate and change throughout the year. At this time, we do not have the ability to remove these messages for single users.

If you require any further assistance, please let us know.

Thank you,

The Webroot Support Team

Userlevel 1

we do not have the ability to remove these messages

The Webroot Support Team

That is completely insane.  The popup messages just started recently -- I first noticed them about a month ago, maybe a little longer.  maybe 2 months at the most.   I don’t remember exactly when it was because I sometimes go for long periods of time with rebooting my computer.

But I’ve been using Webroot for almost 5 years.  Obviously they put the popup message into a recent program update.  If they can put them in, they can take them out.

To say that they can’t take them out is just an outright lie.

The popup messages just started recently -- I first noticed them about a month ago, maybe a little longer.  maybe 2 months at the most. ..But I’ve been using Webroot for almost 5 years.  Obviously they put the popup message into a recent program update.  If they can put them in, they can take them out.

The timing has been the same for me.

I’m sure they could take these banner popup messages out with another update, but they would have to take them out for all users, or at least add an Options setting to not display them on any one device, and evidently they’ve calculated it’s in their interests not to do that.

What do you suppose the messages will rotate to later in the year? Happy Holidays? Or: For a limited time, Carbonite back-up software, 10% off? Remember the pre-Carbonite days, when Webroot just ran unobtrusively in the background?

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

we do not have the ability to remove these messages

The Webroot Support Team

That is completely insane.  The popup messages just started recently -- I first noticed them about a month ago, maybe a little longer.  maybe 2 months at the most.   I don’t remember exactly when it was because I sometimes go for long periods of time with rebooting my computer.

But I’ve been using Webroot for almost 5 years.  Obviously they put the popup message into a recent program update.  If they can put them in, they can take them out.

To say that they can’t take them out is just an outright lie.

@TylerM@TripleHelix There are several basic IT101 questions arising:

1. Who enabled the stupid Carbonite popups in the first instance - was it the Webroot Support Team or the Carbonite Support team or the OpenText Support Team?  Some clarity is required here.
  2. Who has the ability to remove the messages?  I hope that someone did not overlook the need to do a backup of the codebase, or was the old source code “lost”?  This happens from time to time in IT. Imagine if Microsoft or Apple said that they could not backout a software release which impacted users … how would the users react?
  3. Are corporate users of Webroot impacted by popup messages or is it restricted to Home users?
  4. When will Webroot seriously invest time and effort to investigate support ticket notification emails not being sent out, or do Home based / single users not matter? 
  5. What is a realistic ETA to issue a new release of WSA that does not include the popup messages?  One would have thought that 3 months from March 2022 would be sufficient time unless the programmers have left the company.
  6. What is the importance and urgency level to investigate and resolve the issues?  Using ITIL, this would rate at least as a Severity 2 incident or has the matter been passed over to Problem Management to investigate/resolve as a known issue?

For the Webroot Support Team to state in writing that “please feel free to ignore these messages” is an absolute disgrace, and the response would be to “please urgently release an update to WSA,  otherwise risk losing much of the Home based single user customer base”.  “Feel free” is so condescending and insulting that the phrase should be obliterated from the English language. 

Webroot users want answers and clear communications as to when the issue will be resolved rather than uncertainty.  There is much uncertainty and poor communications occurring.  Webroot should issue communications immediately to all registered users acknowledging the problem and provide a firm resolution timeframe to resolve the issues. 

Hey Tyler - 6/28/2022 I uninstalled and reinstalled. Upon reboot I’m still getting this annoyance. Now what ?  And I can’t submit a ticket because after entering my email it repeatedly asks for PW….doesn’t accept my PW. I’ve tried both Webroot PW & Webroot Community PW - neither works.