dell pc tuns on by its self from stand by as well as hibernate

• 1 September 2014
  • 6 replies

My dell pc turns on by its self from stand by as well as hibernate, how is this.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
My dell pc turns on by its self from stand by as well as hibernate, how is this.
Hello gsxr to the Webroot Community Forum!

May I ask what operating system you have? Are your video and mouse drivers up tp date. How old is your PC?

Do you suspect a virus and have you done a scan from Webroot?
 Heres a Microsoft site to refer to.

Have you tried system restore?

Sometimes possible that "wake on LAN" kinds of activity could erroneously cause the computer to come out of standby.

Last but least you can contact our support which is free.

Please help with a little bit more information!

Regards,
Userlevel 7
Hi gxsr

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Well, this is a thorny questions and there is no one right answer.  If you Google your question you will find plenty of responses and I suggest that you read through a few of these and see if any of the suggestions resolutions work for you.

Here is a starter or two to get you going:  

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Hi gsxt:
   Baldrick gave some very good information to help you out. I also have a Dell laptop but my suggestion would go to the Dell website support for help. Our forum is dedicated to Webroot support and all issues involving Webroot software. 

Depending where your at here are links directily to their support.
http://www.dell.com/support/contents/us/en/19/category/Contact-Information/Customer-Support

http://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en/ukbsdt1?c=uk&l=en&s=bsd

Hope this helps
I don’t know if this will be of any help but I had a similar problem with my Lenovo Thinkpad Windows 7 x64 computer and it was sending me round the bend (computer deciding to incessantly wake up every couple of minutes, often in the middle of the night, and nothing I was doing seemed to solve it).

I eventually found the solution which I do remember was quite simple. Unfortunately I did not note down what I had done but I am almost certain it was one of the two following (please note that my Windows OS is in French so I am translating the titles as best as I can—there may be small errors in the translation):

1. I went to Control Panel/System & Security/Administration Tools/Computer Management/System Tools/Device Manager/Network Cards and for each card for which it was possible I unticked the instruction “Allow this device to wake the computer from sleep” in the Power Management tab of the Properties window (reached by double-clicking the device). Incidentally, the only Network Card I could do this with on my computer was Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller (and note that I left ticked “Only allow a magic packet to wake the computer from sleep”).
  2. I had noticed when I went to Event Viewer that there was an awful amount of noise coming from “HP Laser Service”, a service connected to my HP LaserJet Printer, in that my HP printer was apparently communicating with my computer every 60-90 seconds to check if there were any printer updates!! I thought this was crazy overkill and so I disabled this function by going to Control Panel/System & Security/Administration Tools/Computer Management/Services & Applications/Services, browsing down to HP Laser Service, double-clicking it and selecting “Disable” in the “General” tab. For good measure, I also unticked this item in the Services tab of Msconfig (reached by pressing the Windows key and “R” simultaneously, and then typing “msconfig” into the window that opens up). Incidentally, although my computer man advised me against this action, I have seen no apparent ill effects, just that it has got rid of all that “noise”.

One of these actions did the trick for me, and if I remember correctly I think it was the latter one.

Hope that helps.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Generally if you check the event logs it will tell you the reason why:
http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-fix-computer-keeps-waking.htm
The operating system windows xp home
original video card and mouse
2002 computer
dell dimension 3000
yes i did full scan
no i have not tried system restore
Its pretty wierd you have to push a heavy spring loaded button for it come out of hibernation.