Does Webroot block Adblock Plus?

Userlevel 5
Badge +15
Greeting All,
Does WSA block a pop-up blocker called Adblock Plus?  Or does anyone use it?
(I rather hope WSA did block it, because somewthing else happened if it didn't)

Microsoft Community recommended Adblock Plus to block annoying pop-ups. When I tried to download it, nothing seemed to happen, so I ignored it and went back to what I doing. Then, some errors occurred in both Internet Explorer and Google: they "went crazy" (don't know technical tem) when I tried to log back into MIcrosoft and the screen started flashing and freeziing when Webroot tried to autofill my information -- the problem does not occur if I log in manually as opposed to using password manager.   

It turned out that Adblock Plus had partially downloaded in the background or maybe partially installed.

I panicked and ran a system recovery (too drastic) from earlier this afternoon, but that did not help much.  Then I used WSA to delete the partial download. WSA quick scan did not find any issues--that much is good. 

The problem could be with the Microsoft site, but it all seems to be too much of a coincidence.  THe errort still occurs with WSA password manager on the Microsoft site.  Another user mentioned download issues, but not this.
WSA logs me into this WSA site with no problems, but the Microsoft site can't handle it, or the reverse. This is pretty confusing.

Ideas?

Thank you!

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello celz1357

Webroot will not block Adblock Plus unless you were downloading from a malicious site other then the Adblock Plus site. Some of us on the forum like to use uBlock but it's your preference. You might of downloaded a PUA and maybe that caused some havioc.

Please look before for the correct website for free Ad blockers.

For Internet Explorer Ad Block Plus: https://adblockplus.org/

For Firefox uBlock: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/?src=ss or Privacy Badger: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/privacy-badger-firefox/

Google Chrome uBlock: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock-origin/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm?hl=en

Are you having issues signing into Webroot with the Online Account Console?
Userlevel 5
Badge +15
Hi SHerry,
Thanks for reply -- it's good to have a recommendation.  I'll try the uBlock, but there are both uBLock and uBLock Origin apps that looked very nearly identical on the Google app link. Are they the same?

It could all be a coincidence that the Microsoft site quit working with WSA password manager just after the failed attempt to install adBlock, but it is worrisome. WSA login is still not being accepted on that site, though manual login works.

Yes, the Webroot Console link error - just checked -- is now corrected and links to the sign in page. Those pesky pop-up warnings saying that WSA is turned off are still occurring, however. Any news on that one?

Thanks again!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Hi SHerry,
Thanks for reply -- it's good to have a recommendation.  I'll try the uBlock, but there are both uBLock and uBLock Origin apps that looked very nearly identical on the Google app link. Are they the same?

It could all be a coincidence that the Microsoft site quit working with WSA password manager just after the failed attempt to install adBlock, but it is worrisome. WSA login is still not being accepted on that site, though manual login works.

Yes, the Webroot Console link error - just checked -- is now corrected and links to the sign in page. Those pesky pop-up warnings saying that WSA is turned off are still occurring, however. Any news on that one?

Thanks again!
Yea we need to update that in our canned reply as uBlock Origin is the correct one!

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi celz1357

EDITED: Thank you ?
Not sure about the difference of the two uBlock's I use uBlock Origin.You can Google the difference and you will find information there.

I would Submit a Support Ticket concerning the sign in issues with Webroot Password Manager. But may I ask if you have your Password Manager in the Account Console permissions set to access?

This solution addresses Webroot SecureAnywhere http://sw.nohold.net/Webroot/Images/wsa_icon.png

If you have Admin permission you can edit permissions for other users in your account, as well as your own.

To set user permissions:
  1. Open the SecureAnywhere website menu and click Manage Users.  
  2. Locate the user whose permissions you want to change and click the edit icon. [img]http://sw.nohold.net/Webroot/Images/wsa_manageusersnodelete.png[/img] The Account Settings page opens to the User Details tab.  
  3. Open the Permissions tab and set this user's permissions for Webroot SecureAnywhere products. You can change permissions only for products to which you have access permission. [img]http://sw.nohold.net/Webroot/Images/wsa_accesspermissionsclosed.png[/img]  
  4. Specify this user's access level for this account:

The Webroot Beta team is now running the fix for Windows Action Center notifications in the Beta version.and the new release is coming very soon. We don't have an estimated time yet for the release. But it's coming.
Userlevel 5
Badge +15
Thank you!
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Sure thing celz1357!

You are most welcome!:D
Userlevel 5
Badge +15
Yes -- set to "Access."  And, yes, maybe I shoud open ticket - I never know know for sure -- thanks for reply! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Yes please Submit that Support ticket! They will get you get you up and running without a problem. 

😉
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Hi celz1357

EDITED: Thank you @
Not sure about the difference of the two uBlock's I use uBlock Origin.You can Google the difference and you will find information there.

Hi Sherry

The difference is as follows (from the Wikipedia entry);

"As of March 2016, uBlock Origin continues to be actively developed and maintained by founder and lead developer Raymond Hill, but he has withdrawn his support for uBlock, citing "serious incompatibilities in the spirit of the project". uBlock, now maintained by Chris Aljoudi, has seen little development with the latest source code committed on August 2015."

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Yes I did read some of this on the Reddit forum when seraching for this question. 

Thank you Baldrick!:womanwink:
Userlevel 5
Badge +15
Hi Baldrick,
Just saw your reply.  (Can't use the PC everyday -- but I'm still around!)

Freeware and open source programs are great, and keep up the idealistic spirit of the net, so I hope people continue to write more, but, due to the dark side, it is sometimes difficult to tell which ones are true and trustworthy: to state the obvious. So it is great to have access to a community that understands and tries keep up with such things. (I don't -- understand them, that is.)

Force be with you!

Userlevel 7
Glad to hear it, celz1357...you know where we are and there will always be someone over here ready to help as and when the need arises. ;)

Live long & Prosper.