Solved

Essentials Identity and Privacy Protected Applications

• 24 September 2012
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 3
My Essentials Identity and Privacy Protected Applications show the msimn.exe in c:program filesoutlook express and mshtml.dll in c:windowssystem32 buttons as Deny. iexplore.exe in c:program filesinternet explorer show the button as Protect. Shouldn't all three of these show protect since they are all Microsoft products?  I even clicked store defaults and they stay the same. My identity shield is on. :8
icon

Best answer by JimM 25 September 2012, 21:44

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi JDMoose,
I just looked at my setting and have the same thing. Why?

Userlevel 5
@ wrote:

Shouldn't all three of these show protect since they are all Microsoft products?
Not so much that, but all those are internet facing applications and are usually set to protect.

Userlevel 7
Since this is an issue dealing with classification of a file, we would really need to see a log to know why it's flagged a certain way on your computer.  The file name itself is not as descriptive as an MD5 hash.  For instance, impostor files are known to name themselves after real files.  Communicating via the support system will send up the MD5 value for our threat researchers to investigate further.  Please put in a support ticket so our threat researchers can have a look.
Userlevel 3
Thanks. I just sent a support ticket up.

Also what will happen to my backup and sync files if Essentials gets upgraded to Internet Security Plus and if so when will it be upgraded? 😃
Userlevel 5
@ wrote:

Also what will happen to my backup and sync files if Essentials gets upgraded to Internet Security Plus and if so when will it be upgraded?
I believe all existing Essentials customers will be upgraded to the Complete version. Webroot are currently changing licences in the background to move these users over. It may take a day or more, or a bit longer, before you see this change. If you have any issues or see something different, please contact Support.

Quote from PrevxHelp at Wilders:
"Backup is removed from Essentials, but all current Essentials customers are now given the full Complete product. If you're seeing something different, I recommend waiting a day or so and then contacting Support. We are changing every existing license in the background to move functionality over so it will take some time :)"
Userlevel 3
Thanks for the info.
Userlevel 3
This is the repsonse I received from tech support. I think the wording of Protect, Allow and Deny is a bit confusing even when I read the help files.

Hello,

The files you mentioned in the previous message are legitimate files and you can actually set them to allow if you wish. That wouldn't compromise the security. You can also remove them from the Identity Shield as well.

You can use this link here to reach the specific information you need.

To view our best practice videos, click here. You can also click here to view video tutorials to help you set up Webroot SecureAnywhere features.

If you require any further assistance, please respond to this message and we would be glad to help you.

Thank you,

The Webroot Support Team
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Great to hear I personally would remove it from the list! ;)

TH

Userlevel 7
Thanks JDMoose for posting the info from support.
Userlevel 7
While you can remove them from Identity & Privacy's Protected Applications list or set them to Allow, it's not quite correct that you would have the same level of protection active as if you had those applications set to Protect.  In fact, for the Identity Shield to function for those applications, they must be set to Protect.  They are safe programs, yes, (I can see that even for the questionable one now that we have an MD5 to look at), but it's still best to let the shield protect them.  So in summary, it's ok to move your copy of mshtml to Protect, but I would not just move everything wholesale into Allow either if you're planning to make use of the Identity Shield.  It would be best to leave all of the entries in question set to Protect to maximize the program's effectiveness.