Exempt Website from checking

• 9 October 2015
  • 1 reply

I'm having an issue with webroot when connecting from certain hotspots, ones run by Harborlink in particular.  After connecting to these hotspots they prevent any outgoing internet traffic until you have accepted the terms of service.  However it looks like Webroot is trying to verify the website by going to the internet, which it can't do at that point because the terms of service haven't been accepted yet.  I guess it thinks there is an active internet connection because it sees an IP address and default gateway in place but doesn't realize that outgoing packets aren't being allowed yet.  The result is that the Harborlink page won't come up, and therefore I can't accept the  terms of service or get on the internet.  The only solution is to shutdown Webroot until after the terms of service are accepted. 

What I'm looking for is a way to exempt specific websites from any checking by Webroot so that I don't have to shut it down in order to get by the initial screen.    I didn't see that anywhere in the options. 

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Hi srwsolutions

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Apologies but it sems your OP was somehow missed which is most unfortunate, and for which I apologise.

Thanks for an excellent description of your issue (that is quite rare these days). Unfortuantely, despite that, I have to advise that there is nowhere within WSA that one can easily 'exempt' specific websites from checking. WSA does have a whitelist feature that records the url of a website that has been blocked and to which one answers 'Unblock and proceed' so that the next time that one tries the same site WSA effectively ignores that site.

Have you tried using the 'Unblock and proceed' feature when the block page comes up and then immediate trying to access the same page again?  If so then what was the result?

If you would let me know then we can take things from there as there is a way to manual edit the whitelist to add in urls so that effectively the block page does not come up...but it is a little fiddly, etc.

I await your feedback on the above.

Regards, Baldrick