get rid of lock symbol on webroot icon

• 18 September 2016
  • 12 replies

How do I get rid of the Lock Symbol on the Webroot Icon in the lower right hand corner of the task bar. It will not let me log on to Internet Explorer

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi wildebill

Welcome to the Community Forums.

The lock item or Golden Padlock, is in fact indicating that you web browsing is being protected by WSA rather than, as you believe, you are being locked out of the Internet. It only appears when WSA is providing indentuty protection such as when browsing or using an application that is protected by the Identity Shield.

If you are enable to access the Internet it may be due to some other reason. To check that I would first try restarting your system, and if that does not help then I would temporarily disable WSA to see if that helps. To do that just right click on the icon in the bottom righthand corner and select 'Shutdown protection', follow the onscreen prompts to complete the process and then try accessing the Internet again...and then irrespective of the result reenable WSA by either rebooting or by double clicking on the desktop icon.

Eitherway post back with the results and we will take it from there is the issue is not resolved.

Regards, Baldrick
I will try your suggestion and get back, Thanks
It did not work. I turnd of the protection and the lock keeps appearing when I try to (Access Web Control)  (Get Customer Support)  or the (Webroot Community)  I just do not understand. The Lock symbol only appears when I Try the three previous applications?
@ wrote:
It did not work. I turnd of the protection and the lock keeps appearing when I try to (Access Web Control)  (Get Customer Support)  or the (Webroot Community)  I just do not understand. The Lock symbol only appears when I Try the three previous applications?
If Webroot is shut down there should be no Webroot icon (or lock) in the system tray at all. But if Webroot is running it's perfectly normal for this lock to be there on all of the sites you mentioned. It means those sites are protected by Identity Shield (which is a good thing). The lock in no way keeps you from visiting sites.

Regards,
BD
No (Access Web Console). Then next time (Get Customer Support). Then (Webroot Community). There is no Lock appearing when i first start my Computer, no Lock is there only when I click one of the above, web page not available, no web site. Any other internet site is no Problem, I can go anywhere except no webroot page????
 PS The Lock does not appear on My other two Consoles or the other six Computers that have webroot internet Security. I can't figure out how it got there in the first place.
Userlevel 7
Hi wildebill

In the circumstances what I would do is to uninstall WSA on the system that you are having the issue with and then do a clean reinstall of WSA. If you would like to try this then please follow the steps below closely!

• Make sure you have a copy of your 20 Character Alphanumeric Keycode! Example:SA69-AAAA-A783-DE78-XXXX
  • KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Subscription PC users click HERE)
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode and do NOT import any settings if offered by the installer; to as you can set it up as you like once it's done
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again
See if that works and either way let us know how things work out.

Regards, Baldrick
Hi wildebill,

I would just like to add that lock only appears on the Webroot Icon if the cursor is focused on the page itself. Even with the webpage open the lock will not show up if the curson is focused on the taskbar, Start menu, Desktop or any portion of Windows outside of the browser page.

BD
To the letter. When I uninstalled the WSA, the box for you to type the digits in and click to continue the acknowledgement page could not be displayed. No internet page was available? The clean install went well but everything is back to the same problem. When I try to access anything to do with WSA the Lock Apears and tells me that the fore ground page is being protected by Identity Shield, and this only appears if I try to access WSA. Why would WSA block thier own site. Would It make any difference that the computer that is having this problem is Windows XP. The other two computers on this console do not have this Issue, only The Windows XP operating system computer. I am lost & confused
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Please Submit a Support Ticket and they will help you with this issue as we are getting nowhere on the Community.

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Now Webroot will not accept my PASSWORD. The link will not work. My email is ok bUT WILL NOT ACCEPT my PASSWORD i AM TOTALY lOST as what to do
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Please Submit a Support Ticket and they will help you with this issue as we are getting nowhere on the Community.

Thanks,

Daniel ;)
Please do what TripleHelix posted, Submit a Support Ticket or Contact Support by Phone to sort this problem. We have done all we could here on the Forum. Support will probably request logs to look into the problem further and will sort it for you.

Thank you,

Dave. 😉