hack attack

• 6 June 2016
  • 3 replies

I received a message that my computer was being attacked and I had to call Microsoft to get help with it.  I could not get off the screen and the message said I should not shut down.  I called the number and was successful on the third try.  The person said he needed to access my computer.  I said how did I know he wasn't accessing my info and he said it was a software problem, not a computer problem and so I allowed him access.  I asked why webroot had not picked up the problem and said it was a campi.  He then showed me the definition.  He then said Microsoft could fix my problem and it would take about 2 hours for the technicians to fix it.  I told him I would rather take it in myself.  Was this a new kind of scam?  Should I stop using my computer until it is fixed by someone?  Please advise.  Thank you.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi judyheywood

Welcome ot the Community Forums.

I am afraid that this is most likely a scam...how would anyone know that your system was being attacked and then able to ask you to phone a specific phone number? 

My recommendation to you is that you immediately Open a Support Ticket, explain to the Support Team what has happened and get them to check your system out to make sure that there is nothing amiss/they people you granted access to your system to have not installed something malicious or suspicious.

I would not do anything that relates to anything that is personal or financial until the Support Team have advised that the system is not compromised.

Regards, Baldrick

Tech support helped and said my computer was clean.  Yahoo!  A job well done.  Once again, many thanks!
Userlevel 7
Hi judyheywood

Thanks for letting us know...that is great news. :D

The Webroot Support Team are the best when it comes to this sort of thing. ;)

Regards, Baldrick