Solved

Help; Need some advice!!

• 22 January 2013
  • 10 replies

Team,

I've been in the computer industry 30 years. I have a Vista Ultimate laptop with McAfee that got the "your illegal--- pay us money" bug. From the Web I downloaded Webroot and Malwarebytes and was able to fix it.

ANY SUGGESTIONS: Is it time to upgrad McAfee--- should I be running a couple of tools in parallel: Webroot & Malwary Bytes? And Ad blocker.

Thanks for any suggestions!!!!

Randy
icon

Best answer by RetiredTripleHelix 22 January 2013, 22:05

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello Randy and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums. ;)

I for one would never use McAfee and you got hit with Ransomware! Running Webroot SecureAnywhere it a great Idea as a user myself I run it on it's own but the great thing about WSA is it can run with other AV's and Anti-Malware's so yes you could run MBAM with WSA as a Layered approach as many do.

HTH,

TH
Userlevel 7
Hello Randy, Welcome to the Webroot Community Forum. :D
WSA & MBAM Pro is a Great Combo. 😉
Userlevel 7
Welcome to the forums Randy!

As stated above, Webroot is well suited to being used with other security products.  If you do happen to experience issues using WSA in conjuction with other security software, make sure you post the issues here and submit a trouble ticket: chances are the problems can be resolved for you.
So it sounds like:
1) lose McAfee.
2) Use Webroot and Malwarebytes together.

Is that enought?

What about things like Anvi and Ad-Blocker--- are they worth anything.

And, Firewawall.... Just keep one running?

Thank you everyone for your suggestions..

Randy
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yes it is more than enough! 😉 Webroot SecureAnywhere has an outbound firewall and is to be used with Windows Firewall for inbound or some other third party firewall if you like and you can use any Ad-Blocker you like some use the Ad-Blocker plugin and some use AdMuncher it's your choice. Myself I use WSA with Look'n'Stop firewall as I paid a one time fee in 2005 but it's continued development is up in the air at this time and don't use any Ad-Blocker as it's my personal choice.

HTH,

TH
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
What about things like Anvi and Ad-Blocker--- are they worth anything.
If you can afford, go for Ad Muncher. Firstly, it's very good addition to security because ads, social links etc. are often sources of malwares and secondly you will be surprised how fast you can browse with AM. You can trial AM for free and decide later.
Userlevel 7
How is Ad Muncher different than something like Ad Blocker or Ad Block Plus? I have never used Ad Muncher and am curious now.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
How is Ad Muncher different than something like Ad Blocker or Ad Block Plus? I have never used Ad Muncher and am curious now.
Well, what ADB does is only a small fraction of AM capabilities. I don't want to go deeper here on the Webroot Community but you can read more at http://www.admuncher.com/ and also very interesting discussion goes here http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=339797 and here http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=339054 

Once you're acquainted with AM you will agree with me 😉
Userlevel 7
Thanks!
Userlevel 7
If I would want to be comprehensive about my security solutions I should also mention Web of Trust (WOT) and Ghostery. I am using their addons in Opera. While I am almost sure everybody heard about WOT I am not so sure it's the case for Ghostery. So if you're interested please read About Ghostery . Coupled with Ad Muncher it's the great combo.