How can I kill Arcade yum

• 26 December 2014
  • 1 reply

Arcade yum adware is causing pop ups and generally being a nuisance. My webroot doesn't handle it automatically. Do I need to adjust settings or is there another way to get rid of it?

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello @ 

Welcome to the Community Forum,

Upon some research I find that Arcade Yum is an adware program, that displays pop-up ads and advertisements on web pages that you visit. These advertisements will be shown as boxes containing various coupons that are available, as underlined keywords, pop-up ads or advertising banners.
Arcade Yum is advertised as a program that will allow you to play online games for free. Though this may sound like a useful service, the Arcade Yum program can be intrusive and will display ads whether you want them to or not.
The Arcade Yum adware infection is designed specifically to make money. It generates web traffic, collects sales leads for other dubious sites, and will display advertisements and sponsored links within your web browser.

So please try to follow these instructions and if you can't get rid of this then Contact Support.
EDITED
What you are seeing and describing is what we on the Community refer to as a PUA. (Potentially Unwanted Application)These are very annoying at best in that they cause pop-us, redirect your browser home page, and other behavior that may slow down the computer and direct ads your way, but they are not actually doing anything bad like damaging files or stealing information. Often they are installed intentionally by you the user as browser add-ons for various tasks such as quick search tools.. but they also come with the result of added annoying pop-ups and ads. Other times they 'piggy back' with other software that you installed, or try to 'sneak' onto your system entirely.

WSA does detect and remove many PUA's, and more are being added, but WSA does not detect all of them. A simple browser add-on with PUA behavior that is easy to identify and easy to remove is not likely to be detected and removed by WSA. Those that are intentionally difficult to locate and remove are. Please see THIS LINK for more information regarding Webroot's stance on these annoying programs.

The best thing to do is to submit a Trouble Ticket and ask Webroot Support to take a look and remove these for you.  There is NO CHARGE for this for valid WSA license holder.

Also, we have had a lot of discussion regarding these recently, and I have posted an Idea for Webroot to consider asking them to increase PUA detection.  The more  users that need help removing a particular PUA the more likely and faster that PUA will be added to detection.

I hope this helps!