How do I install password manager on Edge

• 22 November 2015
  • 17 replies

I want to install password manager on my PC to use with Microsoft Edge.  I have it installed using Internet Explorer, but want to use it with Edge also.  How do I intall the tool bar on Edge?

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Evnarney

Welcome to the Community Forums.

I am afraid that the simple answer is that you cannot nor can the Webroot Filtering extension be used with Edge, as it does not support the addition of extensions or addons.

I believe that it expected that this feature will appear at some time in the future; indeed what I was reading recently is that it was planned to introduce that feature as part of the Fall Update of Windows 10 (released 12th November last) but that the introduction has been put back to later...but there is no news as to when.

My recommendation is to keep checking back here as when Webroot get the heads up that this functionality is available they will start working on compatible extensions, and the beta testing team will most likely get a look at the Edge capable extension first.

The main thing to know about Edge is that it does not get automatically included in the browsers picked up and covered by the Identity Protection feature so one will need to add it to make sure that WSA's protection includes use of Edge. Let us know if you would like to know how to do this.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 1
You shared: "The main thing to know about Edge is that it does not get automatically included in the browsers picked up and covered by the Identity Protection feature so one will need to add it to make sure that WSA's protection includes use of Edge. Let us know if you would like to know how to do this."

I'd like to take you up on that offer.  Please let us know how to do that.  Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Include me also Baldrick.  I've been tempted to try it and not sure exactly what to type in.  I'm sure it has to be precise. Seems to include a long string of characters also.....is the .exe the same for all or unique to each user.  Hope you understand,  if not I will clarify my question further.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
I know we cannot install PW Manager on Edge, I'm referring to adding Edge to WSA application protection.  Apologies !
Userlevel 7
Hi cmrossi EDIT...& BlazeTen ;)

Hope that you are well?

No problem at all...that is relatively simple. All you have to do is to click on the grar/cog icon to the right of the Identity Protection tab in the main app panel and then click on the Application Protection tab. Click on the 'Add Application' button in the bottom right hand corner of the next panel displayed, and in the Filename box enter the following folder path:

C:WindowsSystemAppsMicrosoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe

and from that folder in turn select the following .exes:

MicrosoftEdge
  MicrosoftEdgeCP

clicking the 'Open' button after selecting each one in turn.

If you then look in the list of protected application under 'Application Protection' you should see each of the .exes listed with a status of 'Protect', and if you now opne Edge you should notice that the Golden Padlock superimposes over the WSA icon in the notification tray to indicate that you are protected.

Give that a try and post back if you run into any difficulties.

Regards, Baldrick

Userlevel 7
Badge +7
WOW ! That was quick Baldrick.  4s after I posted. The speed of light....Thank You.
Userlevel 7
As I said BlazeTen, all relatively simple...if one knows how...and now you do and so can pass it on if the need arises...;)

Check out that you are gettingthe Goilden Padlock appear when you opne Edge and if so then ...job done.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 1
Thanks for the really clear instructions.  I was able to follow all the steps.  And both applications are now listed.

However...... "if you now opne Edge you should notice that the Golden Padlock superimposes over the WSA icon in the notification tray to indicate that you are protected."

I closed Edge, and re opened it.  I am not sure of what you refer to as the "notification tray", but I don't see a Golden Padlock anywhere.  Is a restart necessary?

Userlevel 7
Hi cmrossi

The notification tray area is the little row of icons that sit in the task bar to the left of the Windows time/clock...see the screenshot below:

You should be seeing what I have indicated with Arrow 1. If yo are not seeing the WSA icon as shown above left click on the up arrow (indicated by Arrow 2.) and that should reveal other notification tray icons that are flagged as being hidden. If you find the WSA icon amongst them you can left click and drag it to the task bar so that if remains visible going forward.

Hope that helps further?

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 1
Thanks for the guidance.  I see the Webroot icon in the tray.   I'm in Edge right now. There is no padlock on the icon.  😞
Userlevel 7
Are you sure that BOTH of the .exes I listed have been addded to the Application Proetction page in WSA and that both have the 'Protect' radio button selected rather than 'Allow' or 'Deny'?

I have just tried the proceedure from scratch here and the golden padlock superimposes over the Green 'W' icon representing WSA.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 1
yep. both in the list and both, like the whole list buttoned for 'protect'
Userlevel 7
OK, well not sure why that is not working. May be worth rebooting, checking that the two .exes are still logged/recorded in WSA and then try opening Edge again.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 1
Looks like the restart did the trick.  Thanks so much for the guidance!! 😃
Userlevel 7
Hi cmrossi

You are most welcome...anytime. Glad to hear that this is sorted for you.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Works like a charm my friend.  Added this page to my bookmarks for future reference.  Many Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Hi BlazeTen

You are most welcome...anytime. Glad to hear that this is sorted for you and that I was able to provide you with the solution. ;)

Regards, Baldrick