How do I tell if my Wi-Fi is secure? -

• 10 December 2015
  • 1 reply

How do I tell if my Wi-Fi is secue - I can see the lock on my phone however a recent update apparently removed my private setting. 

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Hi karpetre45

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Based on your post you are obviously interested in this in relation to your phone accessing WiFi but can yo advise as to which phone operating system you are using, i.e., Android, iOS, Windows, etc.?

Having asked that I would say that there is no fulproof way to guarantee complete security on a wireless network. But there are some precautions you can take that will assist in minimising the potential security risks.

Whenever possible, only connect to wireless networks that require a network security key or have some other form of security, such as a certificate.

Before you connect to a network provided by a wireless Internet service provider, i.e., a public network in an airport, railway station, your loc al Starbucks, etc. make sure that you find & read the privacy statement carefully, especially about what files may be are saved to your computer, the type of info collected, etc.

And if you have to connect to a network that is not or suspected of not being secure, be concious that miscreants armed with the right toolkit could spy on everything that you do, the websites you visit, documents opened and/or edited, etc. So make sure that you keep to an absolute minimum the use of sensitive information, etc.

Regards, Baldrick