Solved

How do you temporarily disable Webroot SecureaAnywhere Essentials?

• 23 July 2012
  • 9 replies

My laptop has picked up a few things and I am having it analyzed online by the microsoft windows support center.  They need me to turn off webroot and run a program called ComboFix.  However, when I turn webroot 'off' per your instructions, (right click the icon in the system tray, select shut down webroot protection, type in the captcha) the scan is still showing that it is running.  How do I disable it completely so I can run this log without damage?
icon

Best answer by RetiredTripleHelix 23 July 2012, 05:31

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
You can do a quick uninstall while they run the Combofix and then reinstall SecureAnywhere.

SecureAnywhere Downloader
Userlevel 7
CED wrote:  However, when I turn webroot 'off' per your instructions, (right click the icon in the system tray, select shut down webroot protection, type in the captcha) the scan is still showing that it is running. 
This is under the Setting: "Allow Webroot To Be Shut Down Manually".
1. Why would Webroot still be running if you manually shut it down as CED stated?
2. What does this actually shut down when you turn off Webroot from the system tray?

Why should I have to totally uninstall my antivirus program just to turn it off?  Would re-installing use up one of the available subscriptions I paid for?  For example, with a competitor's a-v product, I dropped my laptop, and had to replace the hard drive.  They counted that as a second computer to be covered.

This is a good question ProTruckDriver....I'm curious as well. 
"1. Why would Webroot still be running if you manually shut it down as CED stated?
2. What does this actually shut down when you turn off Webroot from the system tray?"

As to not being able to turn off Webroot, I also tried to do it within the program instead of from the system tray.
The microsoft expert helping me has not used Webroot, so he suggested I try the aforementioned steps going into the program under PC security - shields and turn off all four shields (realtime, behavior, core system and web threat).  ComboFix reported that Webroot was still running with those turned off as well. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
My I ask if you are infected currently with WSA installed or before you installed WSA? Because if it's the first you should Submit a Support Ticket as Webroot has there own malware removal experts and they will be happy to clean it up for you for Free as it's part of your subscription!

TH
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
My I ask if you are infected currently with WSA installed or before you installed WSA? Because if it's the first you should Submit a Support Ticket as Webroot has there own malware removal experts and they will be happy to clean it up for you for Free as it's part of your subscription!

TH

Good catch TH. 😉
Userlevel 7
CED,

Did you look at the settings as ProTruckDriver suggested? If you shut down by right-clicking, and ComboFix is still not able to perform correctly, you can Open a Support Ticket as TripleHelix has suggested and I can help you from there. If you have an infection you get free malware and virus removal from Webroot.

As a side note, when shutting down Webroot manually, the SecureSync executable will remain running.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:As a side note, when shutting down Webroot manually, the SecureSync executable will remain running.

Thanks Mike, I knew something had to be running just didn't know what it was. Now I do. 😃
Userlevel 7
For clarification, I was actually thinking of WRSyncManager.exe not being able to be manually shut down through settings within WSA. It in fact SHOULD normally close when you shut down WSA. In this case the only way to have WRSyncManager.exe not execute with SecureAnywhere would be to uninstall and reinstall without activating Backup & Sync. I apologize for the confusion on this https:///t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/756
Userlevel 7
No need to apologize Mike, I'm married, I'm used to confusion. lol :D