Solved

How to change Java to allow Dslreports to check my computer for leaks?

• 27 November 2014
  • 15 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3
I junked my old security suite, Vipre, because it had gone to the dumps and I have discovered Webroot Internet Security and so far so good, but I was wondering if anyone had any idea about how I can allow Dslreports.com check my computer for security leaks? I am getting a Java stop even though I have put the site in the exclusions section. If anyone can help, I would be greatly appreciative! Also, please tell me I do not have to have Windows Defender running?

Thanks in Advance,

Tracker
icon

Best answer by Tracker 28 November 2014, 20:57

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello Tracker, welcome to the Community!

You have a few different questions here at once actually, so I am going to tackle them one at a time.

Windows Defender:  You can turn this OFF

Windows Firewall: Since you asked about Defender I am going to mention this even though you did not. Leave this ON please.  :)

DSLReports:  It has been quite some time since I used DSLReports, but I was not aware of a check for security leaks.  I have only used it for internet speed testing purposes.  I think I would like to know which utiity you are speaking of, so we can make sure it is not actually a 3rd party malicous app in itself if you would care to provide it.

I can say, however,  that most likely WSA is not blocking it.  Windows Firewall might be though.  Windows Firewall manages INCOMING connections while WSA Firewall manages OUTGOING.  You might see if there are any tweaks you can do to the Windows FIrewall to correct your problem.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello Tracker and Welcome to the Webroot Community!

I visit DSLR often can you post the link to the test so that I can check it out? Also which Browser are you using?

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
I am sorry, but thanks for your reply. It is the tweak test to check your computer if it is set up correctly for tcp connectivity. I get the error in java, but I have the latest Java and when I go into the Java  control panel I can't find anywhere to fix the problem of blocking the test. Sorry I bothered you. I just junked my old Internet Security Suite by threattrack, that's who bought out Vipre which I have been using for the last 6 to 7 years and not 1 problem and the support was great. So I did some research and came up with Webroot, but I am trying to set it up for the best possible way without inteferring with any of my other software, including email. If you had some time to help me out with your opinion on setting up Webroot Internet Security, I would be greatly appreciative. I am a NEWBIE up here. Thanks again!

Tracker
Userlevel 7
Hello again :)

I will need to let @ comment as far as DSLReports go, but in regards to configuration of WSA the vast majority of users the default install settings are quite fine. 
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
Hey thanks for your reply. First let me say that I have changed my Internet Security Suite to Webroot from Vipre. They use to be the best until Threattrack bought them out and now their product is lowest on the testing scale and their support is horrible, not like it was. Anyway, yes I havw Windows 7 64bit with windows defender turned off and Windows Firewall turned on and it seems to be working fine. I don'y know if I am 95% protected, but I will find out. BTW, I was wrong about that test, it is the tes to check your computer if it is setup correctly for broadband TCP connectivity. Java is the one that stopped it and I have the latest Java out, but I do not know how to set the settings in the Java control panel to allow Dslreports test to check my computer. Sorry for the mistake. It is under tools thes Tweak Test. I am a newbie up here, so I will do my best to keep up. Thanks again.

Tracker
@ wrote:
Hello Tracker, welcome to the Community!

You have a few different questions here at once actually, so I am going to tackle them one at a time.

Windows Defender:  You can turn this OFF

Windows Firewall: Since you asked about Defender I am going to mention this even though you did not. Leave this ON please.  :)

DSLReports:  It has been quite some time since I used DSLReports, but I was not aware of a check for security leaks.  I have only used it for internet speed testing purposes.  I think I would like to know which utiity you are speaking of, so we can make sure it is not actually a 3rd party malicous app in itself if you would care to provide it.

I can say, however,  that most likely WSA is not blocking it.  Windows Firewall might be though.  Windows Firewall manages INCOMING connections while WSA Firewall manages OUTGOING.  You might see if there are any tweaks you can do to the Windows FIrewall to correct your problem.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3
Thanks for your reply. Have a good Thanksgiving!

Tracer
Userlevel 7
Happy Thanksgiving to you too!  Most of us here, myself included, are volunteers, but we like to help when we can. 

I think you will like WSA.. I have used a number of different solutions, and WSA has been the most reliable for my own computer so far.  Any time you have a question or a problem, just let us know!
Userlevel 7
One thing that would be helpful to you is of couse open WSA, and anywhere there is a "Learn More" button, click on it 🙂  That will bring you to the User Guides, and I learned a LOT just by going through those when I was new to WSA 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Happy Thanksgiving to you @ and may I also say Welcome. Good to have you here, and there are many helpful and friendly members here, and a lot to learn and enjoy for us all.

Always feel free to ask any questions, or give some opinion. Thanks.

Dermot      

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ WSA is very light as it uses 3 to 6MB of RAM because all the work is done in the WIN Cloud: http://www.brightcloud.com/platform/webroot-intelligence-network.php do you have a Router, Windows Firewall on as you should with WSA see here: http://www.webroot.com/En_US/SecureAnywhere/PC/WSA_PC_Help.htm#C4_Firewall/CH4a_ManagingFirewall.htm now can you tell what version of Java do you have as some older ones are blocked from being used by the browsers so make sure you have the latest and see here to check and where to download and install: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Security-Industry-News/Java-SE-Runtime-Environment-8u25-amp-Java-SE-Runtime-Environment/td-p/159169

Thanks,

Daniel ;)

Userlevel 1
Badge +3
Thanks a lot for the welcome and I will take your advice about those headers you listed and go and learn. Have a good one!
Tracker
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
Thanks for the reply. I will definitely take your advice and click on learn inside webroot whenever I see them and try to get more familiar with Webroot. The one thing I never had to worry about in the passwas what was coming in because that was taken care of in my Vipre Firewall and Antivirus. I have never worked with Windows firewall, but I can see I will be shortly.

Thanks,
Tracker
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
Thanks Dermot7 for a very nice welcome and I hope after a while in the future I will have a good handle on WSA It was rated the number 1 Antivirus and Internet Sercurity software on the market and I had to make a change, so here I am and do appreciate eveyone of you guys for welcoming to the site. We are off to a raging good start. Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Tracker
@ wrote:
Happy Thanksgiving to you @ and may I also say Welcome. Good to have you here, and there are many helpful and friendly members here, and a lot to learn and enjoy for us all.

Always feel free to ask any questions, or give some opinion. Thanks.

Dermot      

Userlevel 1
Badge +3
Thanks for the info. I have Java Version 8 update 25 it is the latest there is and yes I did get by java from stopping DSLReports from sending the test to mycomputer and we did the test and everything is AOK. I really appreciate your research and passing it on to me. Very kind. Thanks a bunch.

Tracker
@ wrote:
@ WSA is very light as it uses 3 to 6MB of RAM because all the work is done in the WIN Cloud: http://www.brightcloud.com/platform/webroot-intelligence-network.php do you have a Router, Windows Firewall on as you should with WSA see here: http://www.webroot.com/En_US/SecureAnywhere/PC/WSA_PC_Help.htm#C4_Firewall/CH4a_ManagingFirewall.htm now can you tell what version of Java do you have as some older ones are blocked from being used by the browsers so make sure you have the latest and see here to check and where to download and install: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Security-Industry-News/Java-SE-Runtime-Environment-8u25-amp-Java-SE-Runtime-Environment/td-p/159169

Thanks,

Daniel ;)

Userlevel 1
Badge +3
Daniel, thanks for your guidance. I have been doing some reading as per your message and I have gotten more familiar with Windows Firewall and that is where the hang up was. I went in and carefully set the configuration and all is well now. I have a much better understanding of WSA and Windows Firewall since using your suggestions. Much appreciation and thanks. Have a Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas!

Tracker

P.S. On DSLReports it's not to check for security leaks, it is the tweak test and it checks if you are setup correctly for broadband TCP connectivity . They had a test like that in the past. My bad!