How to disable Webroot Filtering Extension in Chrome?

• 28 October 2015
  • 11 replies

This totally hung Chrome today and I want to remove it, however when I click on the "disable extension" it won't uncheck the box, it says it is "Installed by Enterprise policy".  I also turned off "Web Shield" in Webroot and I still can't disable it. 

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello there, welcome to the Community!

While there has been some improvement in the performance of the Filter Extension in Chrome, I believe there is still some improvment being worked on.  I would urge you to keep an eye out for when new versions of the Filter Extension are released so that you can re-enable it: the Filter Extension really does provide an important part of your protection.

So, to remove it, please see the directions in THIS KB Article       Also, turn the Web Shield back on.

I hope this helps!
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
Thanks ? for the link to the KB article - I don't recollect seeing that before.

I use Firefox and have had the filtering extension disabled for some time because I don't use any of the three browsers it is designed for but, more importantly, it was causing FF to crash regularly.

Anyway, I have now followed the KB article and the filtering extension has now been completely removed from my Add-ons.

However one thing I would like clarifying please.

I assume that I am correct in assuming that the references to "Block malicious websites" and "Enable real time anti-phishing"  only refer to protection from websites entered via Google etc searches and that I am still fully protected by WSA  since I still have Web Shield activated.

I think this must be the case but the wording is slightly unnerving! Presumably done that way to discourage un-checking!

Nemo
Userlevel 7
You are correct ? to the best of my knowledge.  :)  Overall protection is better WITH the extensions running, and I think that is especially correct when it comes to the real time phishing, but I am not positive on this.

I apologize for any wording issues.  When some changes were made that caused issues with the Chrome web filter, at the time I published the KB, I felt we needed a KB up quickly.  I simply did a copy and paste from one of the user guides that Webroot had created before the change went live 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
? ? yes it's best to keep them on and running but some do turn them off because they have issues, but remember WSA's Realtime Shield is always looking for malware. Also the Webroot BrightCloud Teams are doing there best in making the Web Filter work as it should for the best user experience!

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
Thanks for the prompt reply David - didn't realise you were the author!

I note that you say:
" Overall protection is better WITH the extensions running, and I think that is especially correct when it comes to the real time phishing, but I am not positive on this".

In general I would agree that is probably correct but for someone who never uses Google, Bing or Yahoo, I would have thought that it might as well be removed/disabled as it would not make any (positive) difference.

Nemo
Userlevel 7
? To be fair, honest and precise, I am not really the author.  I just did a copy and paste of an article for the Help Guides that Webroot already had put together.  We just wanted it in a possible easier to find location 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
Thanks for the input Daniel. The driver-based filtering seems to have been in Beta for a long time. Perhaps this will eventually emerge and solve all these extension issues.
Userlevel 7
They are getting closer with it.. the Beta seems to be coming along well.. at least the small parts I can see.

?  Here is one of the Guide pages that might help explain things a bit too.  
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Thanks for the input Daniel. The driver-based filtering seems to have been in Beta for a long time. Perhaps this will eventually emerge and solve all these extension issues.
Yes they want it to be great before releasing to all Consumers and that's great as there not rushing to release the Web Filter Driver until they are ready to do so!

Thanks,

Daniel 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
? Thanks for that David. I had assumed, wrongly it seems, that the driver would do away with the need for the extensions.

? And that's the way it should be - only the best will do! 😃
Userlevel 7
Obviously I cannot say much at all, but those of us using the Beta versions are starting to see some real improvement in the Web Filter extensions.  They are getting a lot closer.