I got a pop up msg that another pc on network has same IP address ... what to do?

• 3 January 2015
  • 7 replies

I am on vacation in Vietnam and just got a pop up message on my laptop that another computer on the network has the same IP address. I am staying in a hotel and using their network. Not sure what to do so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
HelloTerrance55,

Welcome to the Community Forum,

I found this in Microsoft help sitet and you might want to try this.

You can get a new IP address for your computer. You might need to do this if you are having connection problems.
a. Click Start. Type cmd in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER. 
b. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
ipconfig /all (there is a space between ipconfig and /)
The ipconfig /all command displays Windows TCP/IP settings for all your network adapters.
c. ipconfig /release in the command prompt and press ENTER. This releases your current IP address.
d. ipconfig /renew in the command prompt and press ENTER.
The DHCP configuration for all adapters will be renewed.

Please let us know how it goes.

Best Regards,

Thank you .... The mesg I got was :
No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection 2 while it has it's media disconnected
No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media disconnected

Anything else I can do and is this a dangerous situation for me?
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
Thank you .... The mesg I got was :
No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection 2 while it has it's media disconnected
No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media disconnected

Anything else I can do and is this a dangerous situation for me?
Hello,

Sorry Terrance55.. maybe @@ or @ could intercede here and give some further information.

Can't you go to the hotel desk and explain you are having troubles connecting to there Internet Service?
Userlevel 7
Hi Terrence55

I believe that Sherry is currently away so I will step in if I may and recommend that you take a look at this Microsoft Answers thread that covers the message that yo uare now getting.  Hopefully something on that will be of assistance to you.

Regards, Baldrick

Hi Sherry,

Good idea I'll try the hotel desk.

Thanks,
Terrence55
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi  Terrence55,

Great hopefully they can tell you if their wireless is working or not.

Regards,

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
Hi Terrence55

I believe that Sherry is currently away so I will step in if I may and recommend that you take a look at this Microsoft Answers thread that covers the message that yo uare now getting.  Hopefully something on that will be of assistance to you.

Regards, Baldrick

Thank you for the backup assistance and good information @ 😃