I need Adobe for my pdf files and webroot is blocking the download. How do I change this?

• 22 December 2014
  • 24 replies

I cannot access/download/review ANY pdf files from any source on my computer. Not even to pay my bills. Webroot won't allow the download of Adobe. How can I change this? I am getting tired of going to the library for this when I have a perfectly good computer and printer at home. Help please!! 

24 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
I cannot access/download/review ANY pdf files from any source on my computer. Not even to pay my bills. Webroot won't allow the download of Adobe. How can I change this? I am getting tired of going to the library for this when I have a perfectly good computer and printer at home. Help please!! 
Hello MKKM210,

Welcome to the Community Forum,

Yes please go to http://get.adobe.com/reader/

And I'd advice you to uncheck any addons associated with this download. They are a nuisiance!

Best Regards,
Userlevel 7
Hi MKKM210

Welcome to the Community Forums.

If I may clarify something?  When you say "won't allow the download of Adobe" do you mean the installer for Adobe Reader or do you mean .PDF files?  It is just that you mentioned "Not even to pay my bills" which suggests the latter rather than the former to me.

Many thanks in anticipation of your response.

Regards, Baldrick
Keep getting message that current security settings won't allow download of adobe. How do I change my security settings to allow the reader version of adobe so I can read my pdf files? So frustrated!!!
I keep getting the message that my current security settings won't allow the download of this file. So a setting needs to be changed somewhere.
Sherry I tried the site address. I keep getting the same message. The security settings are not allowing the download of adobe or any other pdf file on any other site.
Userlevel 7
Hi MKKM210

OK, I devine from you last post that it is in fact the downlaod of the Adobe reader installer that you are having trouble with, in which case please make sure that you try the download from the url that Sherry has provided.  In the past we have found that downloading from 3rd party sites can lead to what you are seeing due to those installers having additional content included and it is that that WSA is objecting to as it is detecting them as PUAs (Potentially Unwanted Applications).

As downloading from the Adobe website should avoid this try that and see if it resolves the issue for you, otherwise post back and we will see what else we can suggest to help you.

Regards, Baldrick
Baldrick, I tried the url Sherry gave me and received the same message. I will try again. Thank you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello MKKM210,

May I ask what Browser you are using and if you can try Adobe from another browser?
Userlevel 7
Hi MKKM210 / Hi Sherry

I think that the browser being used is very material here as I suspect that the issue is down to the setting for "Active X filtering"...so MKKM210, if using IE then please check as follows:

Click on the cog in the top righthand corner of the page, then select Safety from the drop down menu, and from the further menu that opens see what the setting is against 'ActiveX Filtering', i.e., either checked or unchecked.

Now we need to be careful here so if checked then uncheck it and then try the download again.  If it works then great, but go back through the above steps and revert your 'ActiveX Setting' to what it was before.

If already unchecked then I am on a false trail...and itis back to the drawing board...:(

Am just checking if there s something similar for Chrome & Firefox.

Regards, Baldrick

Earthlink
Internet Explorer
Userlevel 7
Hi MKKM210

OK, I understand that you are using what EarthLink provides, i.e., a browser and possibly an email client...but please be aware that the EarthLink High Speed Internet will work with most browsers, such as Microsoft Internet Explorer and Netscape Navigator or Communicator. You can use any browser you want.

So please try using Internet Explorer which is built into Windows, and see if that makes a difference.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Hi MKKM210

OK, I understand that you are using what EarthLink provides, i.e., a browser and possibly an email client...but please be aware that the EarthLink High Speed Internet will work with most browsers, such as Microsoft Internet Explorer and Netscape Navigator or Communicator. You can use any browser you want.

So please try using Internet Explorer which is built into Windows, and see if that makes a difference.

Regards, Baldrick
OK, thanks...so please check the ActiveX Filtering setting I mentioned before.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello MKKM210,

This is your internet service right? Would you have a look here at Microsoft article ActiveX because I believe Solly is on to something here because this could stop your install of Adobe.
ActiveX is unchecked. Will try other. Thank you again.
ActiveX is unchecked.
Userlevel 7
Hi MKKM210

OK, thanks.  The other thing to try is as follows:

• Open Internet Explorer.
  • Go to Tools/Internet Options/Security/ Custom Level
  • Scroll to "Launching applications and unsafe file", and select "Prompt".
http://static.commentcamarche.net/en.kioskea.net/pictures/hQ9iRWy4-prop-s-.png
  • Click on OK to validate.
and now try once more to do the download...hopefully this time you will get a prompt that yo can say yay or nay to, so giving you the ability to decide what is let through should IE consider something dangerous/unsafe when you are confident that it is OK.

Regards, Baldrick
Will try and get back to you.
Userlevel 7
Hi MKKM210

OK, no worries...will be interested to see if that works for you.

In the meantime it is late here (I am UK based) so I am afraid that I have to leave the 'melee' and you in Sherry's capable hands whilst I head for my bed.  I will look to catch up on developments first thiing tomorrow morning and to offer any further advice I can if so required.

Until then have a great end of evening and a peaceful night.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello Again,

Do you want to try this direct link? http://get.adobe.com/reader/direct/

Edit the link above just defaults to the original site so go to the help site below and in the middle of the page you will see the direct link.

Look here at the help site http://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/troubleshoot-reader-installation-windows.html

If that doesn't work go to this Adobe link here, http://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/quick-fix-install-download-reader.html#main_Try_a_different_download_link

If all else fails then you can issue a Support Ticket

Good Luck!
Thank you sir. I hope your night in the UK is also a great one full of peace. So far I have gotten nowhere. Am giving up for the night too. Thank you for all you help. Will check back later.

MKKM210
Thank you Sherry. Will try this Monday. Too tired tonight. Will let you know.

MKKM210
Userlevel 7
Hi MKKM210

Many thanks for your good wishes.  I thin kthat you were wise about calling it a day and trying to come at this with fresh eyes and a clear mind today.  I will be on and off line today but will monitor for your reattendance and we can take it from there.

I am keen for you to try what I last suggested as I am fairly sure that the issue is down to the settings that you have for IE...and I think that it is just a case, once identified, of tweaking them safely to allow you to carry out this download.

Hope to see you later.

Regards, Baldrick
The answers by mods are comprehensive enough, but I should add, if the issue happens only while trying to download the install manager, you could add the adobe's products to the exclusion list instead. It actually happens because of Adobe's frequently updating security policy. You might well use similar online tools like this edit-pdf.pdffiller.com yet it has no guarantee webroot won't block the files when you will try to save them