Solved

I renewed my subscription through Geek Squad at Best Buy. They show my account is active, but my

• 4 December 2014
  • 11 replies

I purchased Webroot through Geek Squad at Best Buy,  I have had my subscription for a year, when asked to renew I did so and got an acknowledgement from Geek Squad, telling me I am renewed, but was not give a new key code to enter.  SO....after several calls to Webroot and Geek Squad the problem still exists.

I am asked to renew, threatened with pop ups about viruses in my computer.  Best Buy/Geek Squad said I am renewed and have my original key code showing its active.  However, my computer won't recognize it.

Geek Squad did a quick fix and entered a 30 day code that kept me protected but now I am getting the threatening POP UPS>

Will someone please help, me!! I paid for my renewal and just want it to work.

Thanks

Liz Browder
icon

Best answer by TripleHelix 21 September 2020, 03:42

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello Liz, welcome to the Community!

I am sorry you are having this problem... I have seen it before.  We should be able to get you fixed up.

First, if they gave you a 30 day code, that will have required them to reinstall the software, and your Best Buy Subscription key code will NOT be compatible with it.

You will need to do the following and hopefully things will work when done.

• Make sure you have a copy of your Keycode - The ORIGINAL key code NOT the 30 day temp code.
  • KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Click HERE to download a fresh installer of the Best Buy Subscription WSA
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode and don't import any settings as you can set it up as you like once it's done
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again

Let me know if this works.  I spent 3 years working in the escalation department at Geek Squad, so I am pretty familiar with how to fix problems.  Hopefully this will work so that you will not have to call them again.

I do have a question though.. after they gave you the 30 day key code, what did they tell you?  Did they advise you to contact Webroot or did they advise you that the matter is being escalated?

Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Liz, 

I forgot to mention that @ , our Community Admin, may be able to look up your account on the Webroot side of things to make sure that the renewal info was transmitted correctly from Best Buy to Webroot.  Nic.. are you still around tonight?
Thanks for replying, but it won't accept my key code, says its invalid.

HELP, the THREATENING POP UPS ARE KILLING ME.
Userlevel 7
If the key code is being rejected, and you are postive you are entering it correctly, there is not much we can do tonight.  I will ask Nic to check on the status of the key code when he arrives, but if there is a problem with the key code or the transmission of the renewal data from Best Buy to Webroot, that will have to be fixed by Best Buy.

When they put the trial copy on, were you advised to contact Webroot or did the agent escalate the problem?  Knowing that will help Nic in the morning decide how to proceed to get things fixed for you as soon as possible.
Geek Squad sent me a very complex detailed document with their analysis.  They also stated they thought this was a Best Buy problem and would contact or escalate the issue.  That's when I realized that they had put a temporty key code in.  Now I am getting the expiring Pop Ups and also the "you have a virus" "buy now" Pop Ups.

I made a visit to Best Buy and talked  to the Geek Squad person, they said they showed my original key coded active.  

I'm puzzled, I thought when I renewed I would get a new key code but one was not provided by Geek Squad.
Geek Squad sent me a very complex detailed document with their analysis.  They also stated they thought this was a Best Buy problem and would contact or escalate the issue.  That's when I realized that they had put a temporty key code in.  Now I am getting the expiring Pop Ups and also the "you have a virus" "buy now" Pop Ups.

I'm puzzled, I thought when I renewed I would get a new key code but one was not provided by Geek Squad.
Userlevel 7
When software is renewed, the key code stays the same.  That is a HUGE convenience over having to change the key code for a number of reasons.

Given what you just said, that it was escalated, I would expect you to have it fixed as early as tomorrow morning, possibly the next day.  If everyone at Geek Squad is saying the renewal went through and the key code is active, that is only within Best Buy systems: they cannot see the status of the account at Webroot's side.

From my experiences of three years working in the escalation department there, I would guess that the renewal data simply didn't get transmitted correctly from Best Buy to Webroot for some reason.  While this does not happen often, it does happen and it is pretty easy to fix, but it does have to be fixed by Best Buy.  That escalation should have sent it to the correct place.

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I see your account being active through 10/15/15, so you shouldn't be getting renewal messages anymore.  Let me know if the Best Buy folks aren't able to get it fixed and I can escalate the issue on our end.
Nic thanks I will let you know.

Well, I have the same problem, which to me, is a Webroot problem that you need to fix.  I took my computer to Geek Squad for a fix that they were unable to perform.  While they were stumbling around, they deleted my security program and installed Webroot.  Shortly after, the Webroot program came up saying that it needed to be renewed.  I renewed it and received a new program and a new 20 character identifier.  I installed the new program, and registered it, but when I activate it comes up with the old 20 character identifier and says that it needs to be renewed.  Understand that I will NOT deal with Geek Squad on this, and I expect you to fix it.

Denis Hallman

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @Denis Hallman 

Please Submit a Support Ticket and they will help you.

Note: When submitting a Support Ticket, Please wait for a response from Support. Putting in another Support Ticket on this problem before Support responses will put your first Support Ticket at the end of the queue. A reply from Support should take from 24 to 48 hours but could take a little longer because of COVID 19 and the Webroot Employees are busy working from home.

Thanks,