I would like to block an Application from Accessing the Internet

• 14 August 2015
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +7
I would like to block a certain application from accessing the internet. I tried using Block/Allow files but when I do the next time Webroot does a scan it identifes that application as a Threat and wants to remove it from my computer. I want to use the App but I just don't want it to access the internet.  Any help would be appreciated.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Teksonik

Welcome to the Community Forums.

May I ask which version of Windows (and I am assuming that it is for a WIndows PC that ou are enquirying) are you using?

Block/Allow Files is to specifically prevent or allow a app/file to run, not prevent internet access.

We await your response to the above to decide how best to assist.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 2
Badge +7
Windows XP 32 bit  Webroot Secure Anywhere 9.0.1.35
Userlevel 7
Hi Teksonik

With the application(s) in question running click on the gear/cog symbol to the right of the PC Security tab in the main app panel. From the panel displayed next make sure that you are on the 'Scan & Shields' tab. When that tab has focus clcik on the 'View Active Connections' button.

In the next panl that opens scan the list of actively connection files/apps in the top half of the panel, and when you find the one you want to block check to see what state it is currently set to, i.e., either 'Allow' or 'Block.  If allowed click on 'Block' to block it from connecting. Click 'Close' to exit the panel, and all being well the app concerned should now be prevented from connecting to the Internet.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 2
Badge +7
Ok thank you got it. Oddly enough that version of the App doesn't show in the active connections even when it's open. The versions before and after do show up.  I'll have to look into it further.

Another question if I may.  Why do so many things like audio plugin .dll's need Active Connections ?  I understand that some of them call home looking for updates etc but even some of the simple ones are listed in the Active Connections.  Could these be some kind of malware or is there an innocent explanation ?

Thanks a million for your help !
Userlevel 7
Hi Teksonik

You are most welcome.

In terms of your follow up question I would have to say that I have asked myself the same on a number of occasions and never really found a suitable answer.  I personally believe that if any of these were infected or part of an infection then WSA would have jumped in to catch/block them...as that is something it does very well...focusing on active malware and leaving inactive alone (after all anything that is inactive is no threat...by definition).

If you are concerned that any of these items are infected or otherwise non salubrious then you can always locate them on their source folder(s), right click on them and select 'Scan with Webroot' to get a specific sacn of them...if anything nasty is lurking then WSA should find it and kill it or render it inactive, etc.

Hope that helps?

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 2
Badge +7
Yes that helps a lot thanks. WSA doesn't ever tag them as threats when doing it's normal scan.  I have them blocked now so I guess they can do no harm.  Maybe I'm just being paranoid.  Thanks again !
Userlevel 7
Glad to help...sounds like you have got it covered. :D

As for the paranoia...well, perhaps you are a bit...but then again, better a little paranoid than sorry especially where IT security is concerned...;)

Have a great weekend.

Regards, Baldrick