internet explorer

• 13 December 2014
  • 13 replies

I am having trouble with my internet explorer going off and on a lot, with an error box that pops up say "Internet explorer has stopped working,checking for a solution." I can be in the middle of doing something and it will flash off and on. Sometimes not even coming back on. I'm wondering if I may have a virus that has surpassed my Webroot, and what I need to do to find out about htis problem.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello jacrawf47,

Welcome to the Community!

I would like to ask you if you have installed all of Microsofts Windows updates and if you haven't please do so.

For the popups you might being having some issues with PUAs

Go here to Microsoft Website http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/ie-crashes-stops-working#ie=ie-11

Then you might want to add a popup blocker to internet Explorer such as https://adblockplus.org/

Have you ran a Scan with Webroot? Here is the User Guide to help direct you. Just click scan my computer.

If you think you might have a virus then you can Contact Support free of charge wirth an active subscription.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,

I'm having trouble with internet explorer going on and off. Most times I can get on the internet, but it will just go off and white out the whole screen. Sometimes it will just flicker off and on, and come back on, and sometimes will not even come back on at all and leave a white screen. I do various things to try to get it back on, such as re-booting etc, but it ends up doing the same thing over and over. What I'm wondering is if I could have a virus that has by-passed my Webroot?
Userlevel 7
Duplicate topics merged to keep everything together :)

Have you taken a look at the reply made by Sherry the other day?
thank you for your prompt reply, I went through the steps the windows has advised me to do, and I was up to date on all windows updates needed. They hadme check out my Internet Explorer performance in troubleshooting. And they troubleshooter said "the following add-ons have caused Internet Explorer to stop responding within the last 7 days. To help prevent future problems disable the add-ons by clicking the box below".          The add-ons was Webroot Filtering Extension, Webroot, Inc. I did not click on this box till I got some info from you on this and if I should click this box to dis-able it or not. It's pretty crazy that the program I have for my computer security and performance is CAUSING my Explorer problem
Userlevel 7
It is possible actually, especially if the Filter Extension was not installed correctly somehow.  It CAN happen.

You might try a 'clean install' of WSA to get the Web Filter Extensions to reinstall also.  As WSA is so very small, this process only takes a few minutes to complete.

• Make sure you have a copy of your Keycode
  • KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Subscription PC users click HERE)
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode and don't import any settings as you can set it up as you like once it's done
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again
If this does NOT help the problem, please submit a Trouble Ticket to have Webroot Support take a closer look.  This is free with your WSA license.  There may be something they are able to locate or tweak that the re-install does not fix.

thank you again for the info, I'm going to try the new clean install, but will Ihave to re-do all my passwords etc, since this will be considered a new program, cause that is a lot of extra work, as there is a password for every place you go.
Userlevel 7
IF you are referring to the Webroot Password Manager, no, you will not have to redo them.  At the most you may need to run toolbarfix.exe to restore the Password Toolbar to your browsers, t hough that is usually not needed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Just to let everyone know that Microsoft released a new update for Internet Explorer KB3025390 that could help this issue so be sure to check for Windows Updates to see if it is offered to you. There is no info at this time but will add when MS releases the notes.

Thanks,

Daniel ;)

Userlevel 7
Thank you, Daniel...for as ever, being on the ball in terms of things Microsoft...it is appreciated.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I have posted the Update information Here: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Security-Industry-News/Internet-Explorer-11-has-been-updated-KB3025390/td-p/177434

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
Download links do not respond!
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Try using Windows Update and see if you have the update listed there
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
The ones I posted here? https://community.webroot.com/t5/Security-Industry-News/Internet-Explorer-11-has-been-updated-KB3025390/td-p/177434 they will not work as it's a picture. Like David said go to Windows Update or if you want to download go here and download for your OS: http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/3025390/en-us

Thanks,

Daniel 😉