Solved

is webroot slowing down photoshop?

• 21 December 2016
  • 13 replies

Userlevel 3
Hello Community,

Just installed Webroot Plus - very happy...however ... 
is there a possibility that it scans/checks installed applications, e.g. photoshop?
I noticed images open slower than usual.
Do I have to exclude installed programs from being checked?

Thanks in advance
icon

Best answer by 55Tele 22 December 2016, 14:03

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello 55Tele

Welcome to the Webroot Coimmunity,

Please have a look here at these PC User Guide articles that can help you with unblocking and allowing if you are totally sure these programs or sites are not malicious.

Controlling active processes
http://live.webrootanywhere.com/content/643/Controlling-Active-Processes
Blocking/Allowing files
.http://live.webrootanywhere.com/content/604/Blocking-or-Allowing-Files..
Managing protected applications
http://live.webrootanywhere.com/content/610/Managing-Protected-Applications
 Managing active connections
http://live.webrootanywhere.com/content/601/Managing-Active-Connections

Lets try to put into English the essence of the areas where a user can tailor what WSA does to protect the system

There are essentially 3 key areas where this can happen/a user can override WSA.  These are essentially reached, from the main WSA panel, as follows:

1. PC Security > Block/Allow Files
  2. Identity Protection > Application Protection
  3. Utilities > System Control > Control Active Processes

and once there the user usually has the options to:

A. "Allow"
B. "Protect/Monitor"
C. "Block/Deny"

In the case of 1. Detection Configuration

If an item is set to:

- "Allow", WSA ignores it during scans and shield actions, meaning if it's a virus that has been allowed, it can continue acting as a virus acts.  Be careful of what you allow in this area and ensure it's something you trust implicitly if you are going to change the status from Block to Allow.

- "Monitor", WSA will watch the item to determine if it is legitimate or related to malware.  It is not necessary to add files into this list or set files to monitor manually unless you are changing them from a Block or Allow status.  This might be useful if for example you think Webroot might have had a false positive on something and you want to check again at a later time to see if the determination has changed.  You could set it to Monitor and have Webroot check it again.

- "Block", then WSA will treat the items as it would detected malware.  It will not be executed, and it will not be written to your hard drive.  Detected infections are automatically set to a Block status.

In the case of 2. Protected Applications (Internet Security & Complete version ONLY)

In this case:

- "Allowed applications" are not secured against information-stealing malware, and also have full access to protected data on the system. Many applications unintentionally access protected screen contents or keyboard data without malicious intent when running in the background. If you trust an application that is currently marked as "Deny," you can change it to "Allow."

- "Protected applications" are secured against information-stealing malware, but also have full access to data on the system. By default, web browsers are assigned to the "protected" status. If desired, you might also want to add other software applications to "protected," such as financial management software. When you run a protected application, the Webroot icon in the system tray displays a padlock.

- "Denied applications" cannot view or capture protected data on the system, but can otherwise run normally.

And finally, in the case of 3. Control Active Processes

If a process is set to:

- "Allow" it means WSA allows it to run on the system. It's important to note that if an item is already allowed here, that's because Webroot knows already from seeing the file before that it's ok to allow.

- "Monitor" status means WSA will journal what that program is doing and keep a very close eye on it for any suspicious activity.  Basically it would treat it as if it wasn't already sure about it one way or the other, and it wants to monitor it closely until it's sure about it.

- "Block" means just that...iWSA does not allow it to run on the syste.  Be very careful about what you block in this area and ensure that anything you decide to block is a non-essential process.  Otherwise, you could be setting yourself up for a lot of grief if you block something critical.

Now, hopefully that has given you a consolidated low down on where to look and what you can do to affect how WSA 'interferes' with files, objects & processes on your system...and so wil help you get to the bottom of what is causing you grief.

It might be best to submit a Support Ticket to have these files whitelisted. This is a free service with your Webroot subscription.

Hope this helps?

Userlevel 7
Hi 55Tele

Welcome to the Community Forums.

If I may just add...when you say 'slowing' down are you saying that Photoshop is still working normally just not at the expected speed or is it that some functions are not working at all.

The reason I ask is that if it is the former then it is most likely the fact that WSA has been unable to determine the 'goodness' or 'badness' of components of the applicaiton and is therefore monitoting them in case they eventually turn out to be bad and therefore WSA can roll back any action taken during the monitoring. I would expect to see status set to 'Monitor' in one of the areas referred to by Sherry.

Having said that the best approach is the support ticket one so that the Support Team can whitelist the files concerned and then you will not have to 'adjust' anything and WSA will not impede operations, etc.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 3
Hi 51m ago,
thanks for your reply.
Photoshop works fine. It even opens normally.
Just opening files (images, PSD.jpg,etc.) takes longer.
Used to be immidiately/no delay ...now a few seconds.

I have to admit that at the same time I installed Webroot I also updated to the new Malwarebytes 3.0.
I'm also researching in that direction for a possible cause.

"I would expect to see status set to 'Monitor' in one of the areas referred to by Sherry."
I don't see any statement by Sherry or status / monitor ....????

In case it's important:
all worked fine till today (and everything still does - aside the mentioned slowness )
Win7, 64 bit, SSD, 16 GB Ram, Perform. score 7.7
all newest updates

Thanks in advance
55Tele

Userlevel 3
PS: I noticed Sherry's post on top - yet not an answer
Userlevel 7
Hi 55Tele

"and once there the user usually has the options to:

A. "Allow"
B. "Protect/Monitor"
C. "Block/Deny""

as stated in the main part of the text re. the 3 areas to check. ;)

But if it is just the files that is taking longer then my guess would be that it is MBAM 3.0 that may well be the culprit if it is a securiity-related application that is the root cause. MBAM 3.0 is brand new and there may be some teething problems with it as is normal in these situation.

Keep us posted as to whether you get anything from your investigations on that front as compatibility with other security apps is a big plus point re. WSA but as new apps come out it is possible that issues are found.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 3
Hello Ssherjj,
I apologize I have not noticed your response.
I will try the suggestions and let you know

Thanks
Userlevel 3
Hi Ssherjj,
I included Adobe Bridge.exe into Application Protection as "Allow" 
Photoshop CC.exe itself will not open in this list ...could not give it the "Allow" status
After checking ... no change ... take s4-5 seconds to open even a small file.jpg

Thanks
Userlevel 3
Thanks 9m ago,
I'll dig into MBAM and let you know if I find anything.
I included PS Bridge.exe into "Allow" - no change
Photoshop CC.exe itself was impossible to include there ...?

Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi 55Tele,

Thank you for getting back to us.

I think it is best to submit a Support Ticket to have these files whitelisted. Support can assist you in whitlisting your program/s.

Userlevel 3
To anyone following this post:

Webroot is innocent!!
I found out that is was Malwarebytes 3.0 with Real Time Protection ON is the culprit-slowing things down.
MWB is as good as it always was, even better and faster, BUT: didn't work for me to have it running alongside
a real AV at the same time.
So - MWB Real Time Prot. OFF and just use as manual/occasional scannig - as before

Cheers
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi 55Tele,

Thats great news that you have solved your issue! Thank you so much for letting us know. Usually Webroot runs nicely along side another AV. But why have extra- added drag to your system.

Happy Holidays! 😉
Userlevel 7

Userlevel 7
Thanks for letting us know, 55Tele.

Good to know.

Regards, Baldrick