Solved

License question

Userlevel 5
Badge +23
I'm currently using a five seat license for WSA Essentials. As I've decided I want to carry on using WSA after my year is up, can I now purchase another five seat license, but not activate it until my current license expires?
icon

Best answer by RetiredTripleHelix 2 November 2013, 19:38

View original

32 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +23
I'll hold out for an official 'yea' or 'nay'.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@DavidP1970 wrote:
@ wrote:
So, am I allowed to install a three seat license on to four Windows installations, as only three can be used at any given time? (Given the dual boot scenario.)
I do not believe so, but @ will know that as he uses dual boot and virtual machines.  I am pretty sure that will require 4 license seats, so you would need another copy OR an upgrade to WSA-Complete and its 5 user seats :)
I have 5 VM's and each takes a seat if I make a Clone of a VM I can't use the Original one until I delete the Clone. Dual Boot it's the same way 1 seat per OS not 1 seat per Computer.

HTH,

Daniel
Userlevel 5
Badge +23
@ wrote:
@DavidP1970 wrote:
@ wrote:
So, am I allowed to install a three seat license on to four Windows installations, as only three can be used at any given time? (Given the dual boot scenario.)
I do not believe so, but @ will know that as he uses dual boot and virtual machines.  I am pretty sure that will require 4 license seats, so you would need another copy OR an upgrade to WSA-Complete and its 5 user seats :)
I have 5 VM's and each takes a seat if I make a Clone of a VM I can't use the Original one until I delete the Clone. Dual Boot it's the same way 1 seat per OS not 1 seat per Computer.

HTH,

Daniel
Ah, so one seat per OS; this is an elegant way to explain it. Seems I can't do what I was wanting to do. Thanks for the help 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Well if you did try it would show 2 OS's on the Online Console even though 1 Computer. Prevx was the same way 1 seat per OS as most users don't use Dual Boot I did until I went to VM's.

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 5
Badge +23
@ wrote:
Well if you did try it would show 2 OS's on the Online Console even though 1 Computer. Prevx was the same way 1 seat per OS as most users don't use Dual Boot I did until I went to VM's.

Daniel ;)
Just to clarify, the dual boot is for mine and my wife's copies of Windows 7. I set it up this way to avoid the shared settings between certain programs. Feels cleaner somehow.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
It's still 2 installs on the same Computer! At one time it didn't matter how many Clones I had as they all the same ID but in one one the updates in the 2012 stopped it from using Clones. Maybe someone from Webroot can supply more info!

Daniel
Userlevel 5
Badge +23
@ wrote:
It's still 2 installs on the same Computer! At one time it didn't matter how many Clones I had as they all the same ID but in one one the updates in the 2012 stopped it from using Clones. Maybe someone from Webroot can supply more info!

Daniel
Oh I agree - was just providing a bit of info as to why I have a dual boot setup. it certainly does seem that I won't be able to do what I'm wanting to going by the "one seat per OS" guideline.