Solved

License question

Userlevel 5
Badge +23
I'm currently using a five seat license for WSA Essentials. As I've decided I want to carry on using WSA after my year is up, can I now purchase another five seat license, but not activate it until my current license expires?
icon

Best answer by RetiredTripleHelix 2 November 2013, 19:38

View original

32 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Hi, Tim from Webroot here. I manage the North American sales team and would be happy to get this straightened out for you. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. I will send you a quick PM as to how we can quickly get this resolved.
Best Regards, Tim
Userlevel 5
Badge +23
A brief thanks to Tim and Sinuhe who went above and beyond to get this sorted for me. Yet another example of the stellar support I've received from Webroot! 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@DavidP1970 wrote:
@ wrote:
So, am I allowed to install a three seat license on to four Windows installations, as only three can be used at any given time? (Given the dual boot scenario.)
I do not believe so, but @ will know that as he uses dual boot and virtual machines.  I am pretty sure that will require 4 license seats, so you would need another copy OR an upgrade to WSA-Complete and its 5 user seats :)
I have 5 VM's and each takes a seat if I make a Clone of a VM I can't use the Original one until I delete the Clone. Dual Boot it's the same way 1 seat per OS not 1 seat per Computer.

HTH,

Daniel
Userlevel 3
Yes you can!  You can either purchase and hold until current expires OR you can purchase under a different reg'n code, advise tech support of the new license code and they will add to your existing license and extend it out.  Reason I know is because I did the same thing, had a boxed version, gave the code to support and they fixed me up!
Userlevel 7
I will point out that while yes, you can, it's generally a better idea to simply extend/renew the existing license in most cases.  This maintains continuity for you, allows you to not have to change the license information on multiple systems, and allows the secondary services (Synch, for example) to work seamlessly.  Of course I say "Most cases" because some people want to cause some of the computers to die off, or have other reasons that a new license would benefit them more than the continuity.

We try to discourage the "Please add this to my existing code" function of support, though. While it can be done, it's more inconvenient for the user and can have unforeseen side effects on occasion.

Also note that you can purchase multiple years and the extra years get an extra discount as well.
Userlevel 7
Just head to
http://www.webroot.com/renewal/

Type in your key code and submit and you will be given options to renew, upgrade, and/or any combination of the above.

Alternately, you can call the sales department at 1-866-612-4268 in the US or see http://www.webroot.com/En_US/about-contactus.html for other locations.  The US Sales folks are even here for another two hours today from when I post this message. 🙂
Userlevel 7
It triggers renewal options based on how much time is left ont he current license.  In that case, getting in touch with the Sales team would be your best bet, since they have direct access to process the order for you and ensure it is on the license you want it to be on, plus also ensure you get any discounts available to you.
Userlevel 7
No problem. :)  I'm doing work on Saturday this week anyway, so I figured I'd poke my nose in here too.

Stay well!
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Well, if you put family members on your license then you have control to reboot their computers remotely and see the nasty .exe files they're downloading.

It's not much of a.gift.
Userlevel 5
Badge +23
@ wrote:
I will point out that while yes, you can, it's generally a better idea to simply extend/renew the existing license in most cases.

How does one go about extending a current license?
Userlevel 5
Badge +23
I came to this page through the 'Upgrade or renew' link in the application. The only choices I'm offered are to upgrade to Complete, or to increase my online storage.
Userlevel 5
Badge +23
I agree. Thanks for taking the time 🙂
Userlevel 5
Badge +23
I decided to go ahead and purchase another 5 PC license, as it worked out far cheaper for me. I then rang Webroot UK, got put through to sales but the gentleman I spoke to said I'd need tech support. I was on hold for fifteen minutes but hung up as being a timed call I didn't want to be charged too much.

I've since opened a support ticket, asking for the time to be added to my existing key. Was opening a support ticket the right thing to do?
Userlevel 5
Badge +23
Cool, I'll see you in PM 🙂
Userlevel 5
Badge +23
Bumping an old thread of mine to ask: Can a license be shared between two users? More precisely, between two users using two separate Windows installations on the same PC (dual boot)?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Bumping an old thread of mine to ask: Can a license be shared between two users? More precisely, between two users using two separate Windows installations on the same PC (dual boot)?
Yes if you have any Empty seats on your keycode I have my Mother Inlaw on mine and she is 2 Hundred miles away! And on a Dual Boot one keycode for each OS.

Cheers,

Daniel
Userlevel 5
Badge +23
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
Yes if you have any Empty seats on your keycode I have my Mother Inlaw on mine and she is 2 Hundred miles away! And on a Duel Boot one keycode for each OS.

Cheers,

Daniel
Hmm, that may not work then. I'm going to purchase a WSA AV three seat license, which I'm wanting to use on three PCs, one of which containing the dual boot setup. So, essentially, four Windows installations, of which only three can be used at any given time.
Userlevel 7
My brother has his PC on my license...and loving it. He promises to buy a copy of his own when the current license runs out.
Userlevel 5
Badge +23
@DavidP1970 wrote:
My brother has his PC on my license...and loving it. He promises to buy a copy of his own when the current license runs out.
Interesting. Didn't think this would be allowed.
Userlevel 7
The remote commands to lock and reboot the computer can be quite fun to use too! EVIL GRIN
Userlevel 7
Webroot does usually allow you to "loan" a seat of your license to a family member or close friend. The idea is that they get exposure to the software and want it on ALL their devices, which ends up being a new sale for Webroot most of the time. 🙂
Userlevel 5
Badge +23
@DavidP1970 wrote:
Webroot does usually allow you to "loan" a seat of your license to a family member or close friend. The idea is that they get exposure to the software and want it on ALL their devices, which ends up being a new sale for Webroot most of the time. :)
Would this not show up as an extra seat in your PC Security Console, possibly taking you over your seat limit?
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
If I logged into my full admin account for my company on the Webroot console I can reboot every computer in the entire company anywhere in the world, even if they're on vacation in Pakistan.

Or just reset everyone's wallpaper.

Actually, it's pretty scary powerful, I won't even get into the other stuff they let you do with a business account...
Userlevel 5
Badge +23
So, am I allowed to install a three seat license on to four Windows installations, as only three can be used at any given time? (Given the dual boot scenario.)
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
@DavidP1970 wrote:
Webroot does usually allow you to "loan" a seat of your license to a family member or close friend. The idea is that they get exposure to the software and want it on ALL their devices, which ends up being a new sale for Webroot most of the time. :)
Would this not show up as an extra seat in your PC Security Console, possibly taking you over your seat limit?
Of course it does!  Which is why it is allowed for family: you have that seat NOT available to you, so Webroot gets paid for the license seat, but when your family member wants to add thier laptop, android tablet, iPhone you won't have enough seats to 'loan' and so your family member will buy a copy of thier own now that they are hooked on WSA 🙂