Malware question

• 28 February 2015
  • 1 reply

I spend several hours resolving a problem that I believe was potentially malware related and wanted to see if anyone else has had this situation. Microsoft update was turned off and nothing I tried would get it turned on, nor could I see my update history. One of the suggestions included deleting the files in the windows softwaredistribution folder. When I tried that I discovered that that folder had already been wiped clean. Eventually I was able to get windows update working and ran several scans to determine that the system was now clean.

In researching potential fixes for windows uopdate not working the threads seem to be split on if this was caused by malware or by a drive update. Has anyone else seen this situation?

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
I spend several hours resolving a problem that I believe was potentially malware related and wanted to see if anyone else has had this situation. Microsoft update was turned off and nothing I tried would get it turned on, nor could I see my update history. One of the suggestions included deleting the files in the windows softwaredistribution folder. When I tried that I discovered that that folder had already been wiped clean. Eventually I was able to get windows update working and ran several scans to determine that the system was now clean.

In researching potential fixes for windows uopdate not working the threads seem to be split on if this was caused by malware or by a drive update. Has anyone else seen this situation?
Hello warbird50,

Welcome to the Community Forum,

Please have a look at this Knowledge Base Article, HERE

As a few have posted asking how to fix Windows updates we have sent them to Microsoft Fix it. But here is a Microsoft help site here as well which you have probably already research?

Hope this helps,

Kind Regards,