my e-mail ?hacked with malware

• 10 April 2016
  • 3 replies

I had signed into one of my Yahoo e-mail accounts with no issues and I was in my inbox and I reviewed what was in my inbox, I think I  opened a few e-mails and read them from individuals or organizations I normally get e-mails from and trust, and everything was fine.  I then noticed that there were 11 e-mails in my spam folder and I always delete the e-mails in the spam folder before I sign out of my Yahoo e-mail account. I clicked on the spam folder icon to go to my spam folder to, "check all" and, "delete all" of the e-mails in my spam folder.  The screen did not take me to my spam folder, instead a red/orange webroot warning screen came up informing me that the next screen contained malware, and asked me what I wanted to do.  I clicked on, "get me out of here" and the browser closed.  I was puzzled because I was already in my Yahoo mail acct. and all I was doing was going from the inbox to the spam folder.  I opened my browser (firefox) and resigned  into the same yahoo mail acct. inbox with no issues, and this time I did not open any e-mails in the inbox but clicked on the spam folder icon to delete the spam folder.  Again the same message webroot danger came up.  This time I clicked on the, "continue anyway" icon on the webroot warning, thinking I would go to my spam folder, and if I did not open any spam e-mails, which I never do, I would beable to delete them and that would be it.  It did not take me to my spam folder though, instead a full screen picture of a tatooed naked biker chick standing  next to a Harley popped up on the screen.  I immediately closed the browser.  I have scanned my computer 3x with webroot since yesterday and all the scans are clean.  Should I change the password on that Yahoo acct. or just let it die? Do you think I have been hacked?  I went into the same e-mail account afterwards yesterday and again today with no issues.  Yesterday I was able to delete all the spam e-mails and I went to the spam folder from the inbox with no problems.  Any suggestions?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi coffeebush

Welcome to the Community Forums.

It sounds to me that WSA has detected the presence of one or more potentially malicious URLs in the spam emails and that has triggered the Web Threat Shield to kick in to protect you from accessing the site(s) concerned.

I do not think that you have been hacked and if WSA scans have come up clean then you are most likely fine.  But if concerned you can always Open a Support Ticket and get the Support Team to investigate this for you. The service is free to WSA users with an active subscription.

Regards, Baldrick

Thanks, Baldrick,
So you think I am ok?

The same webroot warning message came up when I was reading a very popular news website and going from story to story on a different computer in our house and I just clicked, "get me out of here" and I have not had any issues since. The scans on that computer have all been clean also. 
Userlevel 7
Hi coffebush

Yes, I think that yo are OK...given what you have said initially and what you have also said in your last post...but if you have any reservations or qualms about this then please do open that support ticket so that the Support Team can take a look and hopefully reassure you of this.

Regards, Baldrick