Our Best Buy Geek Squad has advised me that Windows 10 crashes with WEBROOT and to avoid it.

• 14 September 2015
  • 11 replies

I work at a Best Buy Store as a computer sales consultant. Best Buy and Geek squad has an obvious partnership with a choice of 3 ANTI-Virus Malware providers, Kapersky, Micro Trend, and Webroot. Our paticular store Geek Squad agents has advised me to avoid an ON-GOING Windows 10 Crashing on New System Set ups, it is best to switch to Kapersky that is not creating the crashs. 

I am disheartened and concerned. I have personally sold over 2500 subscriptions for Webroot in my time working there. I was always thrilled with the easy to use, light internet based method in the past and most of all a US BASED company.

Can someone please help me understand why this is a current problem with no work around sent to sales people that talk up your product? I need to feel I am providing the best possible advise when people are buying many computers and tablets from me.

Kevin

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Hi agentkjd, welcome to the Webroot community.

There are plenty of people on the forum who have a wealth of experience working with Win 10 from preview on and I am sure they can recount their own experiences.

I am aware of at least one brand of computer that seems to be having issues and are blaming Webroot. I also have never heard definitively what if any problem Webroot is supposed to be responsible for.

I personally have updated multiple systems, both upgrades and clean installs and the only issues that I have had envolving Webroot and crashes were always ultimately determined to be other apps at fault and by disabling them the issues were resolved.

Others will chime in I'm sure and I bet ?, our community leader will have some input.

Best of luck,
Dave
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello ?,

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

While there have not been many problems with Webroot crashing new computers reported on the Forum, there have been a few incidents reported of this behavior like this.  I do know that Webroot is compatible with WIndows 10, but there has been something that here and there results in this problem.

We do know that WSA v9 is Windows 10 ready/compatible, but  you need to make sure that you have v9, (current version is v9.0.1.35 and which is now been updated to v9.01.38)
Webroot is aware of it, and actively looking into it. Certain types of new computers have been reported here such as Toshiba and HP just to name a couple. Our advise here is to send them to our Support Team and they will fix these issues. Usually an uninstall/clean install fixes this.

Alot of us have upgraded to Windows 10 and have had no issues with Webroot. I ran the Winodws 10 Preview for 8 months and did not have a problem running Webroot.

One thing I should mention is Please look HERE  about Windows 10 and the Edge Browser.

All I can say is The Webroot Development Team is working all the time in resolving any issues regarding Webroot.

Webroot still is the best on the market I would say. But I am not a expert and so hopefully others will have something else to add here. I think it's great that you came here looking for answers. Lets hope you can get them answered.by our moderators ? and ? who can help as well.

Kind Regards,
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
If you want to PM me your details then I can have our Best Buy liaison contact the folks at your store to answer any questions they have.
Hi, I am interested in this topic because I just bought a dell XPS 8900 and also bought a 3 year subscription to Webroot. It was the only extra software that I installed on my Dell and it started crashing constantly. No keyboard or mouse response (as though the USB ports were not working). After a few attemps at ignoring after resetting it started crashing before windows could load.
I am now resetting to factory settings again and want to know what I should do.
Please help me out.
Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello and Welcome to the Webroot Community!

Please read this and download the temporary fix and please let us know how everything goes! http://www5.nohold.net/Webroot/ukp.aspx?pid=12&login=1&app=vw&solutionid=2544&donelr=1

?  will check into this so please reply if this fix solves your issue.

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
? can you let us know how things are doing today?

Thanks,

Daniel
I appreciate your help but I am still having issues with getting my computer to load windows after having failed the factory reset because it froze at 29%. I am now downloading a .iso file from dell to boot from usb drive. I will try to get this fixed during the week and will let you know once I reinstall the antivirus (will probably take me a while because Im calling for help from a friend that understands more).
Thanks again
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
Hi ?

Welcome to this wonderful Webroot Community Forum

I was having issues with my Win 10 like crashing and freezing up.  Turns out one of the windows 10 update file had a corrupted component and, hence MS helped by downloading a fresh copy of win 10 to my laptop.  I doubt very much that WSA software had anything to do with your issue(s).  I personally would not sell Webroot short.  In fact, I would address any or all further issues in this Webroot Community Forum.

FYI when your talking about Webroot, you might come across an issue where a windows 10 error might occur that says:  

Error Message Not protected by antivirus - webroot and win defender turn off.  This has occurred to various Webroot users especially me.  After going through the motion of completing a clean uninstall/reinstall, the issue still exists on my end.   I brought this issue to the attention of the Webroot Development Team who informs me that they are working on a resolution of this issue and that the fix will come in due time through the update.   In the meantime, they have assured me that despite the error of not being protected by an antivirus and/or win defender is turned off,  I am still fully protected by Webroot software.

Hope this helps.

Always,
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
I appreciate your help but I am still having issues with getting my computer to load windows after having failed the factory reset because it froze at 29%. I am now downloading a .iso file from dell to boot from usb drive. I will try to get this fixed during the week and will let you know once I reinstall the antivirus (will probably take me a while because Im calling for help from a friend that understands more).
Thanks again
You didn't have to do a factory reset as I told you to try the fix I pointed to. Also you should of contacted Geek Squad Support as they should be able to help you: http://www.webroot.com/us/en/home/products/geeksquad-dl

Daniel 😠
I find it somewhat odd that a Geek Squader would thumbs down any of the Webroot Security offerings. Earlier this month, I picked up a new HP computer to replace my crapped out computer. The older one ran Windows 7 and this newer one runs Windows 10. Older computer had about 200 days left on my Webroot subscription and I successfully transferred it over to my new computer.
The Geek had no idea I even had Webroot but explained it was being offered to me at no charge . He went on to say it runs fine with Windows 10... and uses little space... and..... ( all the other great things about Webroot ) etc...

I hope I'm not out of line by saying this but I would rather get my questions answered or get opinions from the Techs and developers of Webroot than a salesperson/Geeker trying to sell/offer something.
Userlevel 7
Hi ROBERT1725

Hope that you are well?

Whilst I could not possibly comment in relation to your experiences with a partner...;)...it is good to know that you find the Webroot Support Team & Community provide you with good & useful support.

Regards, Baldrick