PC crashing just after boot, no BSOD

• 21 January 2016
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Event viewer states the fault kernel power 41 event 63, but I ran Who crashed, and on every crash it stated that Webroot IRQL Not less or equal, and that wrurlflt.sys driver for the Webroot Filter driver was the cause. Anyone have any suggestions what to do for a fairly non tech person to do?
W10 fully updated, FF latest

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
? reboot the pc and the moment the bios loads ( pretty fast after powering on and before you see windows loading ) start hammering F8. It'll either work or it doesn't depending if safe mode booting was enabled on your machine.
If it works and you can boot in safe mode ( any safe mode'll do ) you can get into your system and launch your investigation.
If nobody enabled this for you ( because it's not enabled by default ) then honestly i don't know how to get this to work for you considering you are not that tech savvy. 

Try this first and if you are able to boot in safe mode tell us. Then we can guide you.
Additionally if you can let the bluescreen occur and take a screenshot from the screen with a mobile ( don't use flash pls ) and post the pic.... It could already contain details valuable to us .
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Hi Edwin, yes I can boot into safe mode OK. I have just un/reinst Webroot to see if that makes any improvement. It doesnt crash everytime but when it does it is the Filter URL driver that is named. No blue screen, just goes black and reboots.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
If it happens again submit a support ticket and if asked to gather log data do it from safemode then...
How good are you in checking the event logs of the system? If this is chinese to you then forget it.... & just submit a ticket and follow the support people's advise..
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
I have looked at Event viewer which is where I got the kernel power etc stuff from, so I can do that. I will see how things go now. One question- if you reinstall Webroot does it also reinstall the URl Filter and PWM add ons for use in Firefox??
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
If they don't re-install ( fellow experts correct me if i am off on this one ) you could try and run the toolbarfix available from here
I'm not sure about the URI filter but it'll work for the password manager.
Edwin

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello Yarco

The answer is yes Webroot will install ther Webfilter and PW Manager.

If you reinstall then follow below.

Please follow the steps closely!

• Make sure you have a copy of your 20 Character Alphanumeric Keycode! Example: SA69-AAAA-A783-DE78-XXXX
  • KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Subscription PC users click HERE)
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode and don't import any settings if asked to as you can set it up as you like once it's done
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again
Hope this helped?
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Thanks for that Sherry, as I did not reinstall exactly as you said, I redid it again, also as I run Kaspersky KIS alongside WSA (quite happily too), I paused KIS whilst installing WSA this time around, and the PC started normally then. In an attempt to see if the URL filter is at the bottom of this all, I have currently disabled it and will run like this for some time to see what happens. I am at a loss to understand what the WhoCrashed utility found of IRQL Not less or equal (wrurlflt.sys), is to do with what shows in Windows Event Viewer of Kernel Power Event ID41 Task 63 with the following; EventData BugcheckCode 10 BugcheckParameter1 0x85012b8 BugcheckParameter2 0x2 BugcheckParameter3 0x0 BugcheckParameter4 0xfffff80062fb5229 SleepInProgress 0 PowerButtonTimestamp 0 BootAppStatus 0
Userlevel 7
Hi Yarco

If I many venture/suggest...you should really ditch KIS and just go with WSA by itself. I used to run both some 3 or 4 years ago and did so as I was not sure about WSA's protecttion technologies but once I finally decided that WSA was the better application I have not looked back, and my system is so, so much more responsive for it.

But if you do continue to run both then, in case you have not done, so you should add the WSA components to KIS's Exclusion list & vice versa you should log the KIS components under the 'Block/Allow' option to be found via the gear/cog next to the PC Security tab...just to make doubly sure that everything is playing well together.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Well things worked fine for three days, then just now the usual crash and reboot, with both event viewer and Who Crashed reporting the same things. I have now unticked the Filter Driver option in settings so it will not load to see if this cures things. Must be peculiar to my system as no one else has said they have it. Ho hum!
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
which version of the filter are you running?? Check with the extentions of your browser.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Hi Edwin, it is 1.2.0.27 dated 18/12/2015. the same combination on my lap top runs without issue!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
check if the %programdatapckg dir doesn't contain a new one.
I'll elaborate later. Gotta go now.