Possible handle leaks, what does this mean?

• 15 January 2016
  • 3 replies

In System Analyzer I received the following message in the software section: "An active process has a possible handle leak (explorer.exe).  Does anyone know how to fix it or what it means?

I opened a chat with the Geek Squad and they basically said don't worry about it, but seems if it comes up as an error, something should be done.

3 replies

In System Analyzer I received the following message in the software section: "An active process has a possible handle leak (explorer.exe).  Does anyone know how to fix it or what it means?

I opened a chat with the Geek Squad and they basically said don't worry about it, but seems if it comes up as an error, something should be done.
Userlevel 7
Hi JONELY00

Welcome to the Community Forums.

For details on what a handle leak is please see HERE.

As to what you can do about it well nothinmg really as the indetified process is a Microsoft one and they are not likely to be fixing this any time soon as it relates to Windows Explorer.

The Geek Squad are basically right, given the above...I personally would not worry at all about it. We have all see it before and have all 'survived'. And if you system is running fine as far as you are concerned and a further reason for not worrying. ;)

Regards, Baldrick

I have possible memory leak (chrome) and handle leak (Outlook), Baldrick’s reply, along corporate lines no doubt, does nothing to assure the users that this product is adequately protecting our systems.  Further Best Buy is in a position to at least influence the programmers to correct this issue.  Again it doesn’t reflect well on the organization.