Solved

Problem downloading to Windows 10 S mode

• 9 January 2020
  • 7 replies

Badge +3

How do I download to Windows 10 in S mode?

icon

Best answer by TripleHelix 10 January 2020, 17:22

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62

Thank you for the assistance @TripleHelix! 😊

Sure thing! It would be nice if Webroot could be on the Microsoft Store then users could install on Win 10 S Mode!

Yes that would save alot of trouble for others who don't know how to get Webroot on there Windows S Mode if it's in the Microsoft Store.…

Oh and I forgot about Windows Defender...sorry about that @RLC4702 🙄

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Sure thing! It would be nice if Webroot could be on the Microsoft Store then users could install on Win 10 S Mode!

Userlevel 7
Badge +62

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @RLC4702 

Just to add to what Sherry has said Windows S Mode you can use it’s default Windows Defender if you wish but if you want to use any other AV and any programs you would need to upgrade to Windows 10 Home or Pro. Only programs from the Windows Store will install on Windows S Mode.

See here for more info: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4020089/windows-10-in-s-mode-faq

I bought an app on another Windows 10 PC. Can I use it on my device that's in S mode?

Apps you bought from the Microsoft Store are linked to your Microsoft account. In most cases, if you install an app from the Microsoft Store on another Windows 10 PC, you should be able to install it on your PC with Windows 10 in S mode if you sign in with the same Microsoft account.

Unless you switch out of S mode, you'll only be able to use apps from the Microsoft Store on your device.

HTH,

Userlevel 7
Badge +62

Hi Bob,

You are most welcome...

Sorry to hear that you might of been mislead by Best Buy. Maybe those Salesmen are not aware of Windows S Mode that you cannot install Webroot.

I am afraid I cannot really suggest another security product because of the restrictions of Windows 10 S. In Windows S Mode you can only install programs from the Microsoft Store. You understand that right? I would take the product back to Best Buy if it was me and tell them that you are not happy with the computer being in Windows S mode with its restrictions.

If you like your system/computer you can tell Best Buy to take it out of Windows S Mode which is pretty easy to do. They can switch you over to Microsoft Windows 10 Home version Free in 5 minutes. (Geek Squad) If you want Microsoft Windows 10 Professional that may cost you additional $50.00 if my memory serves me right. 

Now if you do not want to go through the hassle then return your computer for a refund and get another computer with Windows 10 Home or Professional already on it.

So you have 2 options and either one of them are good. It just depends on what you want to do.

Badge +3

Hi Sherry!

I just bought my computer at Best Buy last Sunday.  The sales person on the floor highly recommended Windows 10 in S mode.  

I purchased the Webroot software product for $20 for the first year.

I was trying to install it last year and it directed me to the Windows store.  The Webroot software product was not there.

I am disappointed because the Best Buy people should know that the product cannot be installed on Windows 10 in S mode.

I am going to take the product back for a refund.

Do you have any suggestions for a security product that would work in Windows 10 in S mode?  Or should I just switch to Windows 10?

Thanks for your help!

Bob C.

Userlevel 7
Badge +62

Hello @RLC4702

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

Please have a look here at this Thread.

Webroot is not compatible with Windows S Mode.

Have a look here :https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4456067/windows-10-switch-out-of-s-mode

HTH?