Program is blocked by firewall and I can't unblock it?

I have downloaded the latest version of Newsbin Usenet program and it is somehow being blocked by Webroot firewall.  When I disable Webroot firewall the program works just fine. When activate the firewall the program starts but cannot access the internet which basically renders it useless.
I have checked what I THINK are all the relevant areas in the firewall and enabled the program but it still won't start with Webroot firewall active. 
Are there any suggestions?  This is making my crazy.
Thanks.

18 replies

Userlevel 6
@ wrote:
I have downloaded the latest version of Newsbin Usenet program and it is somehow being blocked by Webroot firewall.  When I disable Webroot firewall the program works just fine. When activate the firewall the program starts but cannot access the internet which basically renders it useless.
I have checked what I THINK are all the relevant areas in the firewall and enabled the program but it still won't start with Webroot firewall active. 
Are there any suggestions?  This is making my crazy.
Thanks.
Welcome to the community!

Is the Webroot Firewall blocking?

Beth
Apparently something somewhere in the Webroot firewall is blocking the program.  When I disable the firewall completely the program workes fine.  I am not getting any popups either to tell me that there may be an issue.
Userlevel 6
@ wrote:
Apparently something somewhere in the Webroot firewall is blocking the program.  When I disable the firewall completely the program workes fine.  I am not getting any popups either to tell me that there may be an issue.
Open the Webroot interface, click on the gear next to PC settings

Click on the tab Block/Allow files.

Is your program listed there?
Userlevel 6
@ wrote:
You can also look under Identity Protection. Click on the gear

click on the tab Application Protection

If it is blocked, set it to protect
The program is listed as being "allowed".  

Userlevel 6
@ wrote:

I cant see your image until a moderator approves it, but is it set to allow under Identity Protection and Firewall settings?

Also just to be sure , check quarantine for anything that may be related to the program. Quarantine Tab is located unde PC Settings.
It is set to "allow" and is not in quarantine.
Userlevel 6
@ wrote:
It is set to "allow" and is not in quarantine.
If everything related to the program is set to allow under Firewall and Identity Protection and not in Quarantine, then please contact Tech Support by submitting a support ticket.

Please include this link to this thread https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Internet/Program-is-blocked-by-firewall-and-I-can-t-unblock-it/m-p/139077#M3132

Sorry you are experiencing this.

Beth
Thank you Beth.

I have done as you suggested.
Userlevel 6
@ wrote:
Thank you Beth.

I have done as you suggested.
My pleasure!

Let us know how things are!

Beth
I will, Beth, once I receive a response.  I hope I can get this solved.
Userlevel 6
@ wrote:

Hi I see your photo now, what is the installconverter that is blocked? Does it have anything to do with Newsbin by any chance?
Honestly I don't have a clue what that program is but I don't think it would have anything to do with Newsbin.  For some reason, Webroot doesn't like it though... 
Userlevel 6
@ wrote:
Honestly I don't have a clue what that program is but I don't think it would have anything to do with Newsbin.  For some reason, Webroot doesn't like it though... 
I looked for some info, found something on a similar name. noticed it. Well, let us know what you hear!

Beth
Hi Beth,

I got the below response from Webroot Support and all is working fine now.  Thank you again for your assistance!

Hello, 

Thank you for contacting Webroot, 

The latest update of Newsbin Pro Usenet reader was being monitored by Webroot as it had yet to be determined in our global database. 

Thank you for bringing this to our attention we have now had this application whitelisted and if you run a scan and on your PC the application should now be functioning correctly for you. 

For future reference if you have an application that is being blocked by the Webroot Firewall then you can learn more about allowing and blocking processes here here

If you are still experiencing issues with the application then please let us know and we can troubleshoot further. 

Regards, 

Webroot Support.
Sites on Internet Explorer blocked by Webroot firewall
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello dstang,

Welcome to the Community!,

Please have a look here at the USER GUIDE and Here 

Then go to the BrightCloud to check the URLs.

EDIT You may also Contact Support or unless one of our Forum members can assit here?

Let us know how it goes and if we can help you further!

Best Regards,
Userlevel 7
To add to what Sherry has said, she also has a couple of handy links in her signature area.

If the websites being blocked are ones like Facebook or Yahoo, ones that you are 100% sure should not be blocked and normally are not blocked, OR to request that the site be reviewed for permanent unblocking, please use the Trouble Ticket link!