Solved

Protect Edge

• 26 October 2015
  • 59 replies

Userlevel 3
Is it advisable or even possible to protect microsoft edge in identity protection part of wsa like chrome and ie?
icon

Best answer by RetiredTripleHelix 26 October 2015, 23:13

View original

59 replies

Hello ?

Welcome to the Webroot Community.

Edge is not currently supported by Webroot
Please see this post by Community Administrator ?.

Hope this info helps, please let us know if you have more questions, we're happy to help. :)
BD
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
You can mauually add it to Application Protection!
Thanks ?,

I was thinking of the Web FIltering Extension not being available in Edge.

I'm not positive, but I thought you're protected with Identity Shield, regardless of your browser?

Maybe some one else can comment on this like ? or ??

It would help to know one way or the other.

BD
Userlevel 7
I am trying to recall... there was recently some discussion about manually adding Edge as noted by ?, however I cannot locate it at the moment.  I seem to recall that there might be some issues with that at the moment though.

? do you recall the recent posts about manually adding Edge to Application Protection by chance?
Userlevel 7
Badge +36

"I'm not positive, but I thought you're protected with Identity Shield, regardless of your browser?"

I believe the above statement to be correct, albeit when added manually the little padlock instills a sense of Security! ;)

Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Hello @

Welcome to the Webroot Community.

Edge is not currently supported by Webroot
Please see this post by Community Administrator @.

Hope this info helps, please let us know if you have more questions, we're happy to help. :)
BD
I belive the link @ provided DOES have the correct info @. It is in the discussion, not the KB Article itself.

As of the last discussion, manually adding to Application Protection does not work unless there has been a change.

@ Do you know the current status?
Userlevel 3
I couldnt find the edge file to add manually so i tried adding edge from the desktop shortcut and got a message saying catastrophic failure.

reading that link at the 1st reply i seen this from nic:
 ID Shield doesn't work yet on Edge either - that's in the works.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
We still don't have anything sorted out with the Edge browser to date. We're still waiting on them to support extensions for us to be able to do anything with it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
"I couldnt find the edge file to add manually"

Windows/SystemApps/Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8 etc./Both instances of Edge!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
It does work now if you look where I added Edge to ID Shield and the padlock now shows. https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/I-ve-upgraded-to-Windows-10-and-the-Edge-browser-isn-t-showing/ta-p/210239

And you need to add both files to the ID Shield!

Daniel

EDIT: Look here http://www5.nohold.net/Webroot/ukp.aspx?pid=10&app=vw&vw=1&login=1&json=1&solutionid=1131&

Userlevel 7
Thank you ?!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Thank you @!
See in the last Release notes: http://www5.nohold.net/Webroot/ukp.aspx?pid=10&app=vw&vw=1&login=1&json=1&solutionid=1131&
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Thanks ?,

I thought we discussed this before but I did forget where that post was. I do have it protected in Webroot in Windows 10 though.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Thanks @,

I thought we discussed this before but I did forget where that post was. I do have it protected in Webroot in Windows 10 though.
We did here: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/I-ve-upgraded-to-Windows-10-and-the-Edge-browser-isn-t-showing/ta-p/210239

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Ok I will go look on W 10 and add it.... Super cool!;)
Userlevel 7
Yes, that is the link I was going by earlier, but the end reply from you and Nic was that is was not working right even though it can be added.  I had forgotten about the last Release Notes and the fact that things had been improved.
Ok. Just so I have it straight ( a little slow on the uptake sometimes).

ID Shield DOES work with Edge browser, IF you add it manually.

AND

No Web Filtering Extension/Password Manager in Edge until Microsoft gets its act together, which, according to this article, won't be until at least 2016.

Thanks, and sorry in advance for the clarification request. Just want to be sure I have my notes straight. ;)

Thank you ?, ?, and ? for all of the information. I think I'm set now if the question gets asked again.

BD

Userlevel 7
? I think you just summed it all up correctly.  :)  It took us all a while to hash it out LOL, but that seems to be the current state of the code.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I think the recent release just fixed an issue where Webroot sometimes caused Edge to crash. I'm not sure that we added any additional functionality.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
?, I have microsoftedgecp.exe in c:windowssystemappsmicrosoft.microsft_8wekyb3d8bbwe listed in Application Protection. I can't manually add anything else. What am I missing?

Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I think the recent release just fixed an issue where Webroot sometimes caused Edge to crash. I'm not sure that we added any additional functionality.
OK, we seem to be back at the start now LOL.  I am getting confused.

@, tomorrow can you get a definitive answer from Support or the Dev team as to the current state of the code regarding Edge and Identity Protection?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I checked with them and they tell me that we still don't support anything in terms of Edge. I know there's things in the works, but nothing is ready for release yet. At this point I'd say either use Edge and live without the additional Webroot protections, or switch to another browser that we do support.
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
Hey Daniel, You must have both instances of Edge in the protected apps! If after inserting the 2nd instance restart Edge, and if that doesn't work, restart the PC. Mine has had the padlock working ever since upgrading to 10 and adding Edge manually. About a Month!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
@, I have microsoftedgecp.exe in c:windowssystemappsmicrosoft.microsft_8wekyb3d8bbwe listed in Application Protection. I can't manually add anything else. What am I missing?

@ I would do a clean reinstall as you have to many of the same Browsers listed as they updated but you could remove the wrong one so clean reinstall is best.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Alrighty then..I will do a clean reinstall. Thanks ?

I love doing reinstalls!:D