Solved

protection for loss/stolen pc

Hi everyone,

I'd like to know what sort of protection is available to protect data in lost/stolen pc. For example, upon request, can webroot wipe the data or prevent it from being accessed? And if webroot doesn't do that sort of stuff, are there other programs/ security systems that can be purchased to do that?

icon

Best answer by Rakanisheu Retired 12 May 2014, 16:29

View original

17 replies

Userlevel 7
The android app has the ability to do that the PC client currently doesnt have this ability. If you are worried about protection a laptop or similar one option is to encrypt the entire HDD so even if its stolen recovering the data will be very difficult. Most people would just wipe the partition in this situation. One of the most popular is True Crypt (link below).

Note I am only pointing you in a direction and thus we cant offer any support. So if you forget your password your data will be lost. 

Other options would be a remote wipe but these arent 100% reliable as the device has to recieve a wipe signal in the 1st place so if the thief keeps the device off-line they can access your data.

http://www.truecrypt.org/
Userlevel 7
Protection for mobile devices like phone or tablet is fairly common, but Rakanisheu is quite correct thst there really just isn't any reliable method for PC's and laptops.  The best ciurse of action is to use encryption to protect the dats in the event of hardware theft  :(
Thanks for the reply. Does encrypting the hard drive slow down the system?
Userlevel 7
If your running an older PC you may notice some impact but generally on any half decent modern spec PC you shouldnt notice a performance drop. 
OK, I'll give it a try. Thanks for the advice.
Userlevel 7
I'm using Windows' own built-in encryption system called BitLocker. It absolutely doesn't slow down. It's safer than Truecrypt. It also offers a recovery key in the form of a simple txt file with a key in it which can be saved in a flash drive, OneDrive or internal/external hdd. So if you have a Pro version of Windows start using BitLocker.:)
Userlevel 7
Having a "recovery" key in a plain text file doesnt make it safer! Its quite the opposite!
Userlevel 7
A text file which can be put in a flash drive and that would be at home or in the user's pocket when and if the laptop gets stolen. But if it doesn't get stolen and the user forgets the password he can use the recovery key. He can also write the key down. The main thing is the key in the text file. He can also memorize it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
For the actual finding of the hardware, you could try this:
https://preyproject.com/
It's free and open source.

Agreed on using TrueCrypt to encrypt the device, if you're worried about your data.

Also, Macs have both the encryption and device finding built-in.
Userlevel 3
Bitdefender has protection for this as it locks the computer and you cant access it without the password you set.Also truecryypt doesnt support windows 8 or uefi boot.
Userlevel 7
True...but in Truecrypt's case it is planned. ;)
Userlevel 7
The above mentioned ideas will protect data, not hardware. Boot the computer to an optical or USB drive, type format c:, reinstall windows.Done.The hardware itself cannot be protected in the same way that mobile devices can. 😞
Userlevel 7
Unfortunately you right David. As far as I understand, hardware can only be protected if one has a hardware with TPM. Then BitLocker or TrueCrypt can be used with TPM to completely lock down the hardware. I'm okay with encrypting a hardware without TPM. My data security is the most important to me.
Userlevel 3
The person who started this topic asked about Data on a loss/stolen computer so thats what i was referring to not hardware.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:

The person who started this topic asked about Data on a loss/stolen computer so thats what i was referring to not hardware.
Oh it's okay. We heard you. David and I were just discussing further on the topic. So no worries.:)

@ wrote:

Also truecryypt doesnt support windows 8 or uefi boot.
Although Truecrypt doesn't support Win8, it works with Win8 and Win 8.1 regardless. It can fully encrypt the system and drives no problem. Also like Baldrick said Support for Win8 and uefi boot is first on the TrueCrypt team's priority list.
Truecrypt can be used with no worries.:)
Userlevel 3
If someone wants to use truecrypt on a system or boot that is not supported then they chance losing the files or windows not being able to boot,so there is worries and could be huge problems.It may work for some people like yourself but others could have serious problems.its not supported.

You can legit try something like windows spy ware. It protect your PC from being invaded and secures information from being stolen.