The computer will boot up, and after waiting for it to fully load, I'll attempt to connect to the internet but it either will run really slowly or won't connect at all, stating that the proxy won't allow it. I'll go into the browser and change the settings to "no proxy" and it will work better, but the next time I boot up, it starts all over. I contacted Mozilla, and they had me do a bunch of stuff, including uninstalling and reinstalling, and changing a preferences file so that it was forced to build a new one, yet every day, it's back to either slow running or not being able to get on until I tweak the settings. Finally it was suggested it was my computer and eithe a web security software issue or malware.
I've run the software a number of times and no viruses or malware is located. I ran ccleaner to clean out cookies, cache, etc, and nothing (I did not run the registry cleaner - I don't know now to fix any of that and don't mess with it).
Any thoughts? I've been running Webroot for about a month. OS is Windows 7. Not running any other security software in tandem. I switched to Webroot after PCTools got bought out by Symantec. Did a thorough uninstall of that program first.
I use a home network - a router with 3 laptops, a tablet, and 2 streaming video tv boxes (one laptop acts as my server and is rarely used - the 2 other laptops get the heaviest use). Internet comes in via cable modem (and it's been suggested I replace the modem due to service issues - dropped connection, etc). Router is a Belkin. Modem is a Motorolla.
Please keep in mind I'm not deeply computer savvy - I don't like to fool with the registry or advanced files.
Best answer by JimMView original
Have you tried to setup the Proxy settings within WSA? Have a look Here: https://detail.webrootanywhere.com/agenthelp.asp?n=Defining_proxy_server_settings
In the meantime, a stupid question: how do I know if I need a proxy or not?
I know it sounds silly but I have a degree in computer science, but I got it in 1994. The college only had intranet when I graduated. This new stuff is all Greek to me. 😠
I do have two Roku boxes but I doubt that means anything other than sometimes my computer shows the Roku as a separate internet connection available.
If you will please run this log gathering tool and reply back when its complete, I will try to see what I can determine for you. Default settings are fine.
It's not going to be WSA causing the issue. I can already tell you that much because WSA will not ever force a browser to use a proxy. But maybe I can figure out what's causing it for you anyway.
I'll be able to sit down in front of the laptop this evening. I'll report back when I get that done.
Thanks so much for all your help.
I tracked down a similar issue for you that was reported here: http://forums.techguy.org/web-email/1088333-solved-proxy-settings-ie-10-a.html
The fix in that case involved a registry edit, so do it at your own risk if you want to try it.
In any case, it's not Webroot causing it and it doesn't look like malware.
Thanks for all your help! As long as it's not a virus or malware, I can deal. It's more of a nuisance than anything else. 😃
The person on that link uninstalled it and problem went away.
I'm off to uninstall it now. It's buggy anyway.
Thanks so much!!! :catlol:
Sure thing! I'm glad we could be of assistance!