Solved

RAM Usage?

• 1 August 2012
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Any idea why webroot would consume 12.5GB of RAM?

Saw the RAM warning when I went home to my PC tonight (no other applications running)...and poked around. Shutting down webroot (rogmhbti is the randomized name) dropped usage from 15GB to 2.5GB.

Otherwise no issues, and everything seemed to be working happily.

It might be worth noting that virtual memory is not enabled on this machine...and I know that is a whole 'nother subject of debate. Don't think it would matter here...but just in case it's relevant. (I was thinking it may be a "use 95% of RAM for something while computer is inactive" case, which is fine...but nothing changed while I used my PC for a bit, just in case...and I'm not sure what it would do with the RAM anyway.)

Before: http://ns42.com/images/wr1.jpg

After: http://ns42.com/images/wr2.jpg

Thoughts on what might cause that? I didn't think to see what happen if I loaded a known large program, etc...or if it will ever happen again. But struck me as odd given the webroot footprint.
icon

Best answer by XediDC 17 August 2012, 04:19

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
That's really strange as mine is so low as it should be as I have 16GB of ram! Maybe you should Submit a Support Ticket
so that they can gather some or your logs?

TH
Userlevel 2
Yeah, it barely uses any RAM normally...every other time but that.  (Just 500K at the moment.)

I'll poke them directly with more detail.  (And...actually, I don't want a post like this to look "bad" either...I was just curious if there might be something it does when a PC is inactive.)
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
No if you have issues it's good to post here as others might have the same problem but it's good if you contact them directly so that they can see what is using up your resoruses and fix it if it's a bug! ;)

TH
Userlevel 7
Hi XediDC,

Did you ever create the support ticket? If so, it doesn't appear you used the same email address you used to sign up for the forum. That's a highly unusual amount of RAM that was in use. Are you still seeing the issue, or did it just happen that one time? The virtual memory being disabled on your system might have something to do with it, but that's just speculation until we take a closer look. Please let me know if you still need a hand with this problem.
Userlevel 2
Thanks for checking Jim -- no, I didn't create a support ticket.  Nothing has changed, but the issue has never recurred.  All is working happily, and webroot had only been using its tiny sip of RAM ever since.

If I see anything else like that, I'll capture as much as I can and send it over.   But, smooth sailing from all I've seen.

Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Great to hear!  ;)

TH