Solved

Re-installing Windows 7 & impact to WSA Plus

Userlevel 4
Hello all...

I plan on doing a clean install of Windows7 on my wife's laptop.  I am the administrator on our WSA account.  Do I need to deactivate her laptop first  and then re-activate her?  Or can I leave it alone and after re-installing WSA software just put in the same keycode...or both?  Thanks in advance....
icon

Best answer by shorTcircuiT 20 April 2013, 18:39

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Randy.

Most likely you just need to un-install the WSA from the computer while it is connected to the internet, then do your reinstalls.  

Don't worry about deactivating through the Console, if you run into any problems on the re-install you can deal with any issues then.  Usually, I do not believe any changes there will be needed as long as you use the same PC Name on the new Windows install that it has now.

Re-install WSA using the same key code, and it should all work fine.  If you run into troubles, let us know.  There is usually someone around who can help!
Userlevel 7
I gotta learn to type faster... Daniel beats me again!  :S
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
You added more info which is helpful! ;)

Daniel
Userlevel 7
We seem to have done a good job of tag teaming :Deach other this morning... I like it!  
Userlevel 7
Badge +56

Userlevel 4
You guys rock!  Thanks very much!!
Userlevel 7
TH rocks, I am just the backup singer  :S
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hey I'm not a piece of Bread I don't need any Buttering up

Daniel
Userlevel 7
ROFL. We love buttering you up Daniel.:D
Userlevel 4
All...just a quick update in case others ask the same question.  I re-installed Windows as stated and online it then registered 3 PC's instead of the two.  Made sure to deactivate the older of the 2 duplicates and we're good to go.  In short, when you reinstall WSA with the same code it will add it as another user...but it was an easy fix.  Thanks again for all the help...
Userlevel 7
Randy, thank you for the update and I am glad that you have it all working.  I do wonder if prior to starting the re-install of Windows 7, did you uninstall WSA while connected to the internet first?  I think if that is done then usually it will deactivate the computer without you having to do it manually.  I am not positive on that though.
Userlevel 4
Hey David...no I didn't try uninstalling first...good thought though.  Since I was doing a clean install it didn't occur to me.  Either way it's an easy fix but you're right that could have potentialy solved the issue.  Thanks for the feedback.
Userlevel 7
Thank you again for the reply!