Solved

running microsoft securtiy essentials software at the same time as MSA Internet plus software

• 17 June 2013
  • 7 replies

I recently had my laptop serviced and cleaned of all virus' and malware by the geek squad at BBuy.  They recommended me getting "webroot security"...so I purchased the webroot security plus program, but installed it before uninstalling the "free" antivirus software called microsoft securtiy essentials.

My two questions are: 1. is this going to cause a problem.  One tech told me it should NOT be a problem running them together, but another tech told me to get rid of all anti-virus accept the webroot...Im looking for a 3rd or more opinion(s).

2.  If i uninstall MSE without Uninstalling MSA will the computer be okay or should i uninstall both and reinstall MSA?

Thanks in advance for any help!!!
icon

Best answer by explanoit 17 June 2013, 23:40

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
1.) It should not cause a problem. Not running two antivirus at a time is advice for XP-era antivirus that patched the kernel, sometimes causing issues if more than one application did it. Antiviruses at that time were also much slower and PCs less powerful with less threads. There are still suites that recommend that they be the only ones running, but MSE and WSA are not among them.
2.) You should be able to uninstall just MSE and have no problems. I have no reason to think it's required, but if it was me I would remove both, reboot, and install WSA. Again, I have no technical reason you should do this, but it's what I would do.
Thanks
Thanks again for your response & insights...much appreciated. if this is a repetitive thank you I apologize I'm on my phone... trying to multitask not very good at it!?!
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
You're welcome! :D
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello 10spro88 and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums!

Cheers,

TH
Userlevel 7
Hello 10spro88, Welcome to the Webroot Community Forum. 😃
Userlevel 7
Hello 10spro88 and welcome to the Community where everyday is a new learning experience.:)